R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should have ordered like 15 Ten car sets rather than six, I don't see how they would have enough cars to bring the (W) back plus service increases.

The (W) alone uses like 8 trainsets, if they ordered 15 sets CI and Jamaica would have more than enough cars, and would'nt have worry about lack of cars to increase service.

They should have ordered like 15 Ten car sets rather than six, I don't see how they would have enough cars to bring the (W) back plus service increases.

The (W) alone uses like 8 trainsets, if they ordered 15 sets CI and Jamaica would have more than enough cars, and would'nt have worry about lack of cars to increase service.

FYI, the R179 order only includes four 10-car sets (40 cars), not six, so it's even less. According to JoeKorner the (W) used 10 trainsets in in the AM most recently before it was eliminated.

Right now (N) + (Q) together use 47 trainsets (24 on the (N) and 23 on the (Q)) in the AM according to JoeKorner, and pre-2010 the (N), (Q) and (W) together used 51 trainsets (23, 18 and 10 respectively). The (Q) will need more since it will be longer and will possibly run more frequently. The 40 new cars will basically bring usage back up to pre-2010.

According to JoeKorner Coney Island already has a very low spare factor of R160s right now (47 out of the 53 trainsets used in the AM, that's only an ~11% spare factor).  I'm wondering too exactly how it will all fit; I'm assuming we'll see trainsets swiped from other yards, but the MTA seems confident they can make it work based on the small size of the R179 order, so we'll see.

Edited by Mysterious2train

FYI, the R179 order only includes four 10-car sets (40 cars), not six, so it's even less. According to JoeKorner the (W) used 10 trainsets in in the AM most recently before it was eliminated.

Right now (N) + (Q) together use 47 trainsets (24 on the (N) and 23 on the (Q)) in the AM according to JoeKorner, and pre-2010 the (N), (Q) and (W) together used 51 trainsets (23, 18 and 10 respectively). The (Q) will need more since it will be longer and will possibly run more frequently. The 40 new cars will basically bring usage back up to pre-2010.

According to JoeKorner Coney Island already has a very low spare factor of R160s right now (47 out of the 53 trainsets used in the AM, that's only an ~11% spare factor). I'm wondering too exactly how it will all fit; I'm assuming we'll see trainsets swiped from other yards, but the MTA seems confident they can make it work based on the small size of the R179 order, so we'll see.

Can they just use the R68 or R68A if they run out of spares ?

No it won't...the run to 96 St/2 Av is slightly shorter than the run to Astoria. They will also not increased its headways just for 4 stops...

Right now (N) + (Q) use 47 trainsets.

Pre-2010 (N) + (Q) + (W) together used 51 trainsets, and remember, that was when the (Q) terminated at 57 St, so it will need more cars than that.

Also, the SAS FEIS (http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_docs/feis/chapter05b.pdf, page 23) absolutely did say that (Q) service would be increased, to 14 Southbound trains per hour and 12 northbound trains per hour during the rush, but I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA ended up not running that much service.

@R178 8258: The 80-car option order is gone. The R179 order as a whole is done.

Pre-2010, there were still older cars on those lines, so more cars were needed. That is no longer an issue.

By "older cars", are you referring to the R32/40/42? Because going by the last pre-2010 list (September 2009), the (N)(Q) and (W) together were already using mostly R160s with a moderate amount of R68s, and none of the retirement age cars, so I don't see why that wouldn't be an accurate representation of cars needed.

Which is pre-2010. But, yes, I was referring to the R68s. Even if the cars are in their midlife, the likelihood of a breakdown is still higher than that of the new cars. Plus, they are very similar mechanically to the cars that were replaced. So their age will begin to show, though not on over the hood.

• 1 month later...

New timetable for the first R179 test set coming up. It has been reported that Bombardier has got a handle of the infamous frame cracking issue and is now confident that they can adhere to a new delivery schedule. The original delivery timetable would have had the set on MTA property now. Full detail coming in the next few days.

I just joined this thread, and it's quite long!  I wanted to ask if anybody has access to an interior mock-up or actual photo. I'm curious to see if the FIND system will be on the R179s, and how they look compared to the R160s.  This may have been answered in this thread and if so, sorry. I will start going through it.

Thanks, but I just thought maybe one of our ranks had some "inside" info.  B-)

Lol, sometimes we do. But although we have train operators and people who work in the train yards here, we don't necessarily have information about things that still haven't been delivered. Afaik, the R179s will be very similar to the R160s. That includes the FIND System

(btw, The Washington DC Metrorail seems to like using NYC's FIND system :P)

Lol, sometimes we do. But although we have train operators and people who work in the train yards here, we don't necessarily have information about things that still haven't been delivered. Afaik, the R179s will be very similar to the R160s. That includes the FIND System

(btw, The Washington DC Metrorail seems to like using NYC's FIND system :P)

Thanks very much! And thanks for the tidbit re Metrorail. Do you know of any other subway cars using LCD screens in the US (besides the PATH)?

Edited by subwayboy

I was just wondering if the R179s are going to probably be 67 footers are they going to way more than the R160s because according to some other discussions I had with people R160s are the heaviest cars in the system

Edited by R3216068E

I was just wondering if the R179s are going to probably be 67 footers are they going to way more than the R160s because according to some other discussions I had with people R160s are the heaviest cars in the system

That's because they are talking about net weight, or total weight. Per car, the R160 weighs less than, say, the R68s, but as an entire 600' train the latter weighs less than the former. In fact, the 11-car trains on the Flushing Line are heavy enough that they fall in-between the two. (The train of R62As is heavier, by the way)

Going with the trend seen in the current rolling stock, one 67 foot car should weigh more than one 60 foot car, but as an entire train the former would weigh less. Of course, it really depends on the weight of each car once they're built. Look at the BMT Standard: it's 67 feet long but it actually weighs more than the R68s, both as a single car and as a full-length, 9-car train.