R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am actually not foaming. I am just curious about who the R179's are going to be built by, and what are they going to sound like.

You Will find out in 2015, until then The R179's are not here yet, Im not curious of anything because they are going to look the same just with camreas and that's it, I don't see why everyone is going apeshit over this and they won't be here until the next 3-5 years

I am just curious about who the R179's are going to be built by, and what are they going to sound like.

We all are but we ALL have to wait.Kawasaki has a lot on their hands but I'm not hearing much about Bombardier.

It seems you guys are leaning about 65/35 over Bombardier in other words Kawasaki is the favorite.

Bombardier built some GREAT trains for us: R-62A,R-142,M-7/A and they're doing pretty good.

Kawasaki on the other hand: R-62,R-68A,R-142A,R-143 and some R-160's I guess we can play it safe and say their doing fine but I won't count the 160's in that b\c this year anything can happen.(Now Kawasaki is building the M-8's also the PA-5 are still being delivered in the high 57xx range.I see some every night on University) but we all have to wait impatiently.:tup:

I don't know either from my readings Kawasaki already got dozens of contracts on their hands, and has a lot to build, and deliever. Most likely they won't take in more then they can chew. I think Bombardier has got this in the bag if they fought for the contract too. Bombardier hasn't been really busy lately, and would love to take this order, but again we don't know either. It's a small order. Bombardier didn't take the contract for the R188's, because they cited the small order, and the high engineering costs. If it's the same here then it won't be Bombardier, and most likely would be a third party, and the (MTA) might not like Alstom taking this order due to their R160A fiasco.

This thread is an R179 Discussion, not R179 Foam Over Possible Manufacturers. Let's get back on a reasonable topic.

Any updates on when the contract will be confirmed?

From what a TA source told me the MTA has to pay for these cars due to the feds being fed up with the MTA and their bullshit but anything can change. But they are trying award a contract by april, and the MTA does not have the money so we will see what will happen

If you support the Japanese manufacturers then you forgot about Toshiba they for some reason also build trains. Though I seriously doubt that any of the manufacturers you mentioned might have won the contract. I think the (MTA) would pick the cheapest, and best of any option third party companies out there.

If the contract doesn't go to Kawasaki, Bombardier, or Alstom, here are some additional options:

• Nippon Sharyo
  • Ansaldobreda (hopefully not)
  • Škoda
  • Siemens
  • Changchun Railway Vehicles
  • CSR Sifang
  • Tokyu Car Corporation
  • Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles

Out of these, I think Nippon Sharyo, Siemens, Tokyu and CAF have the most experience and the most familiarity with US regulations.

I would add Kinki-Sharyo as well. Yes, their expertise Stateside is in light rail, but they also have experience building heavy rail metro trains.

As for the April date, was it an extension given to MTA by the Feds?

From what a TA source told me the MTA has to pay for these cars due to the feds being fed up with the MTA and their bullshit but anything can change. But they are trying award a contract by april, and the MTA does not have the money so we will see what will happen

That's not true at all. The MTA has plenty of money in the budget set aside for new subway cars. The contract anouncement is due next month now. It doesn't look like it will be delayed, but you never know.

20% of the total estimated cost for the cars has already been allocated.

How about Bombardier, or Westinghouse. Those companies are, and can be possible builders too. Westinghouse, Kawasaki, and Bombardier built the R68's. Bombardier also built the R110B's, and the R142's.

Do I see foam? You know that Westinghouse just like Budd doesn't build railcars anymore, do you?

Though I seriously doubt that any of the manufacturers you mentioned might have won the contract. I think the (MTA) would pick the cheapest, and best of any option third party companies out there.

What are you talking about? If Siemens isn't cheap, than I'ma eat my shoes.

• 1 month later...
I want to see some american company out of the blue beat the manufacturing costs of all the foreign companies.

Kawasaki has a plant in Yonkers.

But still, what American company is left? A lot of them don't exist anymore like Pullman, Budd etc.

It would be either Bombardier (which is actually Canadian, but it's close to what you want) or US Railcar (former Colorado Railcar), but I don't think US Railcar wants to build a subway car.

Kawasaki has a plant in Yonkers.

But still, what American company is left? A lot of them don't exist anymore like Pullman, Budd etc.

It would be either Bombardier (which is actually Canadian, but it's close to what you want) or US Railcar (former Colorado Railcar), but I don't think US Railcar wants to build a subway car.

GE technically should have the capability to build a rapid transit car, but i don't think it would want to get into that business.....

GE is the top locomotive builder in the entire country, so I really don't see them getting involved with EMUs unless those make enough of a come back for GE to enter that business again. When was the last time they built an EMU any way speaking of that?

Probably never... from my research... if there was one... it was definitely before any of us were born =p