R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

The R142s and R142As were coming in at the same time, the plot trains of both sets came in like 99, and both started taking over the (2) & (6) lines at the same time in 2000. There was a point where the TA was getting new 142s, 142As and 143s cars at the same time!

And we still don't have the R179's what a shame. I'm tired of catching R32's on the (J) all the time.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R46's are nearing their retirement but what I don't understand is how come the R46's received LCD's while the R68's didn't?

The R46s received LCDs when they underwent their general overhaul almost 25 years ago - at the time they were nowhere close to retirement.

The R46s already had electronically operated rollsigns when they were delivered, the driver could change the displays on the train from his cab. When they retrofitted them with LCDs it was just a matter of swapping out the rollsigns for the digital signs. The R68s have manually operated signs.

Remains to be seen.

Next time you ride an R46, look at the ripples in the side walls on the exterior.

Dude, irrelevant to what I said. The R211 order, at it's base, is 940 cars. I never said the R46 would not be replaced by the R211. So spare me.

Edited by LTA1992

On mta.info they was promoting the (A) & (C) line improvements and stumbled upon this...

Upon delivery of R179 cars that are currently on order, the entire c.png fleet and a small portion of the a.png fleet will be replaced with the new cars

Of course the TA can change its mind but....

Edited by trainfan22

On mta.info they was promoting the (A) & (C) line improvements and stumbled upon this...

Of course the TA can change its mind but....

Not surprising given that the four-car sets will also be housed at 207th Street. Having the 179 order consolidated to East New York and 207th will allow some 46s to be shifted to Jamaica and some 160s to Coney Island for revived (W) and expanded (Q) service.

Not surprising given that the four-car sets will also be housed at 207th Street. Having the 179 order consolidated to East New York and 207th will allow some 46s to be shifted to Jamaica and some 160s to Coney Island for revived (W) and expanded (Q) service.

I thought Jamaica fought to get rid of the R46's? Originally I thought they were not suppose to get as many R160's as they did.

Wasn't that the reason why a R32 got transferred over to (R)?

Nah Javier.

It was for some vibration test. That's also part of the reason why they don't run them R160s on the (R) anymore nowadays (at least from my experience riding the line from time to time).

Bay Ridge residents complained about vibration the R160s caused. There are even articles and previous threads about it on the forums.

Edited by RollOver

I also heard though Jamaica might be entirely R160s in a few years due to the CBTC work.

Nah Javier.

It was for some vibration test. That's also part of the reason why they don't run them R160s on the (R) anymore nowadays (at least from my experience riding the line from time to time).

Bay Ridge residents complained about vibration the R160s caused. There are even articles and previous threads about it on the forums.

There was one running on Sunday

They still run a good amount of them during the weekdays as well

General FYI for everyone...

As a regular rider (the (R) is my home line) there are generally 3-4 R160 sets on any given weekday and as I've been going to Cooper Union for Saturday art classes I've noticed as many as 8 R160 sets on Saturdays (crowd control maybe?) usually 5 or 6 and almost none on a Sunday.The R160s on the (R) are usually the 9500 or 9800 series with a rare 9200 or 9300 thrown in.

General FYI for everyone...

As a regular rider (the (R) is my home line) there are generally 3-4 R160 sets on any given weekday and as I've been going to Cooper Union for Saturday art classes I've noticed as many as 8 R160 sets on Saturdays (crowd control maybe?) usually 5 or 6 and almost none on a Sunday.The R160s on the (R) are usually the 9500 or 9800 series with a rare 9200 or 9300 thrown in.

Jamaica uses whatever is laid up from the (F) or (E) trains. There isn't a set assignment as for fleet numbers on the (R) ... The R160s are great crowd handlers especially via Broadway Edited by VIP

Jamaica uses whatever is laid up from the (F) or (E) trains. There isn't a set assignment as for fleet numbers on the (R)... The R160s are great crowd handlers especially via Broadway

I'm aware of that.Those are the fleet numbers I notice the most and I personally have never seen an (R) using a 9400,9600 or 9700.

So, if R179's are going to the (A) as well, where will some of it's R46's go?

JAMAICA!!

I'm aware of that.Those are the fleet numbers I notice the most and I personally have never seen an (R) using a 9400,9600 or 9700.

Exactly, those are sets YOU notice the most, doesn't mean That's what's assigned to the (R) ive seen 99xx and 97xx mainly on that line; hell even the 91xx ...it's whatever is left to spare from the yard or the layup tracks. Edited by VIP