R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JAMAICA!!

Exactly, those are sets YOU notice the most, doesn't mean That's what's assigned to the (R) ive seen 99xx and 97xx mainly on that line; hell even the 91xx ...it's whatever is left to spare from the yard or the layup tracks.

I never once said there were certain R160's assigned to the (R).

All I did was note which number series of R160s, which as a regular rider of the (R) , I notice the most and the number series I see the least on a daily basis.That's all.

The R32's will be placed elsewhere once all the R179's hit the (C), ENY might keep about 50-80 R32's for expanded service while the rest would go to where they're needed, 207th, CIY and Jamaica are the only 3 choices, it would be logical to put them on the (A) and send even more R46's back to Jamaica to bump out more R160's to CIY (I can see them doing this)

• 1 month later...

Ehh, just another R160 "look a like" as far as the R179 goes.

But, the pics of the R211's conceptual rendering seems more interesting to me cause of the route (A) sign on the right side bonnet instead on the of the red LED signage. Hopefully that would be a thing eventually cause I just don't like those (only red) LED route indicators. Also the gangway configuration is diffidently something worth considering IMO.

For what it looks like, I think I might actually look forward to the R211s more after all.

I noticed that there seems to be two different looks in the front. I wonder if the 5-Car sets will have the R160 look while the 4-Car will have the original R179 look.

They still look the same (ie. different from a R160). One appears to have more rounded corners than the other.

Also I notice they say that the prototypes will be undergoing testing as the first 20 production cars are assembled and shipped.

And if the R179 is really completed, as one of the captions says, why aren't they here already?

They still look the same (ie. different from a R160). One appears to have more rounded corners than the other.

Also I notice they say that the prototypes will be undergoing testing as the first 20 production cars are assembled and shipped.

And if the R179 is really completed, as one of the captions says, why aren't they here already?

The second one almost the same as the R160. Pretty much what the original concept looked like. The one shown doing some sort of testing was the newer, squarer on the bottom, look. MY question is, which one was the failure? Why are there two different looks?

And to answer the second question: Complete does not mean ready to be shipped. It needs to be tested and audited first before it can come here.

There's an issue I see with the R179's being on the (A) : How will the cars hold up to the salt water in Jamaica Bay, which will cause the cars to rust faster? There will also be computer components on the cars which will also regularly be near salt water. (I believe this is the reason why the R44's were retired prematurely as the salt water corroded the frames of the R44's faster than other fleets causing structural integrity problems).

The R42 fleet is the only remaining cartype which used Carbon steel for structural elements. Rust is not an issue which needs to be worried about in the future. 

But for the most part, R179s will not be on the A. 

The 5 car units ones should be on the (A) since the R179's are going to 207th Street yard anyways.

Anybody know if the 179s will have the same FIND system as the 160s? I can see from those pix the long shiny black glass subway LED route map, but will it also have the LCD video screens embedded on the end therein too?

ENY said: "Yes. They are nearly identical to the R160's"

Ok, thanks ENY for that, but specifically, will they have the same sort of built in LCD screens? Is there a close up pic of such screens on the 179s?

Edited by subwayboy

There's an issue I see with the R179's being on the (A) : How will the cars hold up to the salt water in Jamaica Bay, which will cause the cars to rust faster? There will also be computer components on the cars which will also regularly be near salt water. (I believe this is the reason why the R44's were retired prematurely as the salt water corroded the frames of the R44's faster than other fleets causing structural integrity problems).

But it's only going to be four 10-car trains of R179s. They don't have to send them out to the Rockaways. Think of the current R32 and R68 runs in the PM Rush on the (A).

The 5 car units ones should be on the (A) since the R179's are going to 207th Street yard anyways.

Pitkin, not 207th. The (A) is based out of Pitkin.

The R44's suffer from those acid baths they received because of the graffiti from the 70's and 80's and they were made from a different material from the later R46's.

I'm at least happy to see the test set almost finished. As for the subway car running on the (A), I guess the (MTA) will allow it to operate 207th Street-Lefferts Boulevard only until the Rockaways are really ready for NTTs. 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

I'm at least happy to see the test set almost finished. As for the subway car running on the (A), I guess the (MTA) will allow it to operate 207th Street-Lefferts Boulevard only until the Rockaways are really ready for NTTs. 

That's right. Exactly what I said before.

IIRC, Coney Island has the same type of air and the 68s spend a lot of time out there for like 30 years now and they are fine.

ENY said: "Yes. They are nearly identical to the R160's"

Ok, thanks ENY for that, but specifically, will they have the same sort of built in LCD screens? Is there a close up pic of such screens on the 179s?

Yes. When someone says "nearly identical", that means not much changes. FINDS are going to stay for a while as they are a flexible way to show instant route changes should the need rise as opposed to strip maps.

But it's only going to be four 10-car trains of R179s. They don't have to send them out to the Rockaways. Think of the current R32 and R68 runs in the PM Rush on the (A).

Pitkin, not 207th. The (A) is based out of Pitkin.

If most of the 8 car units are out of 207th, the 10 cars will be as well, the (A) can also have cars housed at 207th, years ago both (A) and (C) used R38's out of 207th and R32's out of pitkin yard