R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Yes. When someone says "nearly identical", that means not much changes. FINDS are going to stay for a while as they are a flexible way to show instant route changes should the need rise as opposed to strip maps.

Thanks, but to be clear, the FIND system I believe refers to a system of 3 or 4 different info modalities integrated info one device, as per the MTA press release:

"The new cars, built by Alstom and Kawasaki, and funded in the MTA's 2005 through 2009 Capital Program with monies provided by the Federal Transit Administration, boast fully-automated announcement systems, digital information boards and the Flexible Information Notice Display (FIND) system which incorporates a video screen, scrolling station names as the train progresses along the route and a route map that can be changed if a train switches routes. "

So my question, simply, is whether on the 179s this similar-looking component system includes a video screen? "Not much changes" and "nearly identical" could admit of modality changes. Does anyone know or preferably have a head-on pic of these FIND-like devices as they are configured on the 179s?

Edited by subwayboy

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, but to be clear, the FIND system I believe refers to a system of 3 or 4 different info modalities integrated info one device, as per the MTA press release:

"The new cars, built by Alstom and Kawasaki, and funded in the MTA's 2005 through 2009 Capital Program with monies provided by the Federal Transit Administration, boast fully-automated announcement systems, digital information boards and the Flexible Information Notice Display (FIND) system which incorporates a video screen, scrolling station names as the train progresses along the route and a route map that can be changed if a train switches routes. "

So my question, simply, is whether on the 179s this similar-looking component system includes a video screen? "Not much changes" and "nearly identical" could admit of modality changes. Does anyone know or preferably have a head-on pic of these FIND-like devices as they are configured on the 179s?

YES. FINDs include video screens. What you see on the R160 is what you will see on the R179.

Direct your eyes here:

Yed5PoD.png

Edited by LTA1992

It'll likely be the same ones currently on the 160s. No need to have two separate sets of route options for the cars.

Well Lance remember these are new cars. As much as I like to call them R179's, they are just upgraded R160's, which is why I like to call them R160U's. The R160U's have new codes, as it says in the PDF ("more reliable information systems"), new computers, new TOD programs and whatnot. The route programs may not be modified all that much, but the code that the route programs get are upgraded, so that lets say for example, the BxM1 gets select bus service and the MTA gets a new announcement for it, they can simply drag and drop it into the R160U's and bam, it's done. It's not like on the R142A's when they tried to add in the new M60 and M34 SBS announcements and ended up breaking the whole entire system.

YES. FINDs include video screens. What you see on the R160 is what you will see on the R179.

Direct your eyes here:

Yed5PoD.png

Thanks again! But, unfortunately, as I was implying, I still can't see in that picture the actual LCD video screen. Admittedly the length and shape of the whole black glass area in that 179 photo looks exactly the same as the FINDs on the 160s (which do indeed include LCD video screens), but my family originates from Missouri.

Well Lance remember these are new cars. As much as I like to call them R179's, they are just upgraded R160's, which is why I like to call them R160U's. The R160U's have new codes, as it says in the PDF ("more reliable information systems"), new computers, new TOD programs and whatnot. The route programs may not be modified all that much, but the code that the route programs get are upgraded, so that lets say for example, the BxM1 gets select bus service and the MTA gets a new announcement for it, they can simply drag and drop it into the R160U's and bam, it's done. It's not like on the R142A's when they tried to add in the new M60 and M34 SBS announcements and ended up breaking the whole entire system.

Why R160U's? Where does the U come from?