R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Those were mechanically the same thing, just a different body shell

but wouldn't the R179's be mechanically compatible like the R160's A and B... Just because Bombardier is manufacturing them doesn't mean we can rule out mechanical compatibility...

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The motors would be different. The R160s use Alstom/Siemens motors. The R179s will use Bombardier motors presumably like the ones on the R142A/R143/R188.

Bombardier motors in our city are mainly on Kawasaki cars. Low chance imo that Bombardier will use Bombardier. There's a better chance R179s will use the Alstom and/or Siemens motors (I vote Siemens).

The R179s will feature Bombardier propulsion. 

Not that I don't believe it, but is there a source I can look at to comfirm it? Or is it like an MTA source where only officials know about it?

Bombardier motors in our city are mainly on Kawasaki cars. Low chance imo that Bombardier will use Bombardier. There's a better chance R179s will use the Alstom and/or Siemens motors (I vote Siemens).

Anything but Alstom and I say that with passion.

but wouldn't the R179's be mechanically compatible like the R160's A and B... Just because Bombardier is manufacturing them doesn't mean we can rule out mechanical compatibility...

Depends.

The R143 & R160 can couple, but aren't compatible, so it may apply to the R179 as well

I would love for them to be Siemens but when the contract was announced it said the R179 would use the Bombardier MITRAC 1508C, which I love how it sounds. Ride a R143 and you'll hear the sound the R179 will most likely have.

Or they throw us a curve ball and use a different MITRAC propulsion like this:

The initial press release of the award to BBD years ago.

Also, it is normal for builders to supply their own propulsion system (if they have one) unless others are specified.

I would love for them to be Siemens but when the contract was announced it said the R179 would use the Bombardier MITRAC 1508C, which I love how it sounds. Ride a R143 and you'll hear the sound the R179 will most likely have.

Or they throw us a curve ball and use a different MITRAC propulsion like this:

It's wierd to see Bombardier use their own propulsion system in NYC. Not used to it being on any car besides the Kawasaki ones in NYC. But thanks for the clarification you two.

It's wierd to see Bombardier use their own propulsion system in NYC. Not used to it being on any car besides the Kawasaki ones in NYC. But thanks for the clarification you two.

Just to add on, that London Underground train was built by Bombardier UK, so there is precedent within the company to use their own propulsion systems.

I like the propulsion system found on the R142A's, R143 and R188's. The Alstom ones just get tiresome after a while. If ENY is getting some R179's that means that they will also be able to run on the (M).

I wonder what's the reason for the R143's not showing up on the (M) even though they used to run on it a few years back on the weekends.

I like the propulsion system found on the R142A's, R143 and R188's. The Alstom ones just get tiresome after a while. If ENY is getting some R179's that means that they will also be able to run on the (M).

I wonder what's the reason for the R143's not showing up on the (M) even though they used to run on it a few years back on the weekends.

They probably don't want the 143s getting laid up under Hillside Ave or Jamaica Yard, with the 143s on the (J) there always close by to the (L).

IIRC the CBTC 160s don't run on the (M) regularly either.

Edited by trainfan22

They probably don't want the 143s getting laid up under Hillside Ave or Jamaica Yard, with the 143s on the (J) there always close by to the (L).

IIRC the CBTC 160s don't run on the (M) regularly either.

Jamaica might as well maintain those R160's as well because they already have R160's.

Doesn't the (F) have both Coney Island and Jamaica as it's yard?

Why would it be weird to see a manufacturer use their own propulsion system? It makes the most sense in terms of systems integration to keep all major parts sourced to one manufacturer...

I know it's perfectly normal, but since Bombardier didn't really use their own propulsion system yet in the city, it's gonna take me a while to get used to it.

I know it's perfectly normal, but since Bombardier didn't really use their own propulsion system yet in the city, it's gonna take me a while to get used to it.

? Bombardier propulsion is already on the R142 (Bombardier), R142a (Kawasaki), R143 (Kawasaki), and R188 (Kawasaki). 

Bombardier did not manufacture its own propulsion system when the R142s were built. The propulsion on the R142As wasn't developed by Bombardier, it was developed by ADtranz, which was later bought by Bombardier. ADtranz at the time belonged to Daimler (manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles). This is why Bombardier used Alstom motors on the R142s.

Bombardier did not manufacture its own propulsion system when the R142s were built. The propulsion on the R142As wasn't developed by Bombardier, it was developed by ADtranz, which was later bought by Bombardier. ADtranz at the time belonged to Daimler (manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles). This is why Bombardier used Alstom motors on the R142s.

Yea, you're right 142's used Alstom propulsion.

Edited by yeayo

The 143s were used on the (M) on weekends for OPTO since that option was not available on the half-cab 42s. Once the 160s came into the picture, the placement of the 143s there became redundant.

Jamaica might as well maintain those R160's as well because they already have R160's.

Doesn't the (F) have both Coney Island and Jamaica as it's yard?

Regardless of what's written in black and white, I sometimes believe that they do actually maintain/inspect half of the (M) R160 fleet at Jamaica and half of the (F) R160 fleet at Coney Island because of the reasons you stated. As well as some other lines in general. Sometimes, I actually believe that.

Joe Korner's site may say that the X line is based here and the Y line is based there or whatever, but as always, the real world may say otherwise.

Edited by RollOver