R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those complaints came from Riders Alliance In Brooklyn not from 8th Avenue Riders.

But regardless, passengers have complained about them. Here's one quote from a commuter in a Daily News article back in August 2015.

"They stop a little harder."

One from a New York Times article (here's the link; http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/nyregion/for-often-late-cars-of-subways-c-train-retirement-must-wait.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.com/)

"It's loud, it's bad.

But regardless, passengers have complained about them. Here's one quote from a commuter in a Daily News article back in August 2015.

One from a New York Times article (here's the link; http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/nyregion/for-often-late-cars-of-subways-c-train-retirement-must-wait.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.com/)

The fact that they stop a little harder is good as they have superior braking systems, therefore saving time. I wish all cars were like that. I also love their screeching. Something railfans would understand.

The fact that they stop a little harder is good as they have superior braking systems, therefore saving time. I wish all cars were like that. I also love their screeching. Something railfans would understand.

I DEFINITELY don't understand then...

I guess I'm different, since I prefer my trains to come to something resembling a smooth stop. I don't like feeling like I'm riding a bronco because of sharp stops. Same thing with sharp take-offs, which is why I don't prefer the 142As as well.

I don't know which statement is more preposterous - that the screeching is a positive quality, or that the screeching is the only positive quality these cars have.

I don't pretend to understand that kind of logic, so I just toss it up as railfan preference and call it a day.

I DEFINITELY don't understand then...

Join the club.

Amazing to think that the R32s have been around since before a man went to the moon

Of course, when you consider that most of the important components were replaced in the late '80s, it becomes a little less remarkable.

I don't pretend to understand that kind of logic, so I just toss it up as railfan preference and call it a day.

As a railfan who is generally enjoys the R32s, I don't understand it either :P I mean, they have their charm, but it'd be so much better if rides were smooth and quiet.

As a railfan who is generally enjoys the R32s, I don't understand it either :P I mean, they have their charm, but it'd be so much better if rides were smooth and quiet.

I don't know which statement is more preposterous - that the screeching is a positive quality, or that the screeching is the only positive quality these cars have.

I'm gonna try to answer this the best I can:

I enjoyed the R32s but their time has come in my opinion. I'd much rather get a R160 (C) than an R32 (C) but I still enjoy hearing them screech as they slow to a stop.

I'm gonna try to answer this the best I can:

I enjoyed the R32s but their time has come in my opinion. I'd much rather get a R160 (C) than an R32 (C) but I still enjoy hearing them screech as they slow to a stop.

Don't forget RFW's. Those are the things I like about the R32's.

I guess I'm different, since I prefer my trains to come to something resembling a smooth stop. I don't like feeling like I'm riding a bronco because of sharp stops. Same thing with sharp take-offs, which is why I don't prefer the 142As as well.

Join the club.

Of course, when you consider that most of the important components were replaced in the late '80s, it becomes a little less remarkable.

Chronologically speaking, but yes I see your point.

Bombardier MITRAC has changed ever since the R143s, so no one knows for now. Other cars the R179 could sound like (besides past NYC cars) include the Toronto Rocket cars or some of Taipei's oldest cars, which were retrofitted with Bombardier MITRAC systems recently.

Bombardier MITRAC has changed ever since the R143s, so no one knows for now. Other cars the R179 could sound like (besides past NYC cars) include the Toronto Rocket cars or some of Taipei's oldest cars, which were retrofitted with Bombardier MITRAC systems recently.

How do you explain the new 88 factory & 38 C-car R188 sets? Unless Bombardier MITRAC propulsion's changed within the last 2 years.

How do you explain the new 88 factory & 38 C-car R188 sets? Unless Bombardier MITRAC propulsion's changed within the last 2 years.

I don't know all the details about the new R188s featuring the old system, but I heard that they had to bring back that version of MITRAC as it was discontinued.

Edited by RTS9000

I don't know all the details about the new R188s featuring the old system, but I heard that they had to bring back that version of MITRAC as it was discontinued.

Its still around. Most transit authorities go for the more modern system mods but the 1508C is still offered. The R179s will probably have it so they can share parts with the R143 and R142A.