R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

I believe that the propulsion used on the 142As, 143s and now 188's was manufactured by ADtranz. The propulsion was discontinued but Bombardier brought it back for the R188 order. The R179's will most likely have MITRAC, and will probably sound similar to the Toronto Rocket or maybe even the 2009 London Tube Stock (which I believe uses MITRAC as well, not sure).

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that the propulsion used on the 142As, 143s and now 188's was manufactured by ADtranz. The propulsion was discontinued but Bombardier brought it back for the R188 order. The R179's will most likely have MITRAC, and will probably sound similar to the Toronto Rocket or maybe even the 2009 London Tube Stock (which I believe uses MITRAC as well, not sure).

Yes but halfway through the R142A order Bombardier bought Adtranz. I know for a fact that at the very least the R142S have the Bombardier MITRAC 1508C if not some of the later R142As. I think that all the R143s have the Adtranz version. I have yet to hear it be discontinued only that transit authorities aren't spec'ing it in their trains.

I thought so - and yes, most new Bombardier cars use MITRAC (albeit newer versions that produce different sounds).

• 3 weeks later...

Still the same.

I have a question tho, why is the MTA backtracking on the design for the R211's. Why aren't they featuring LED's instead of rollsigns?

The sign in the mockup not a rollsign but a full-size HD screen which would display the route bullet. It's an upgrade.

Also, isn't there a thread for the R211's?

Edited by Threxx

My bad Lance, I was referring to the mockup picture of the R211's.

And Threxx, ah so it's a HD screen. I thought it was a rollsign at first because the front looked similar to the R46's. And yes your right, there is a R211 thread and I don't know why I'm posting here :/

Weren't we just being yelled at for discussing the R62A's in the R188 topic?

I assume that the moderator who yelled at someone for such an action was mistaken. If that moderator was right in their actions, then you should definitely create your new thread.

I assume that the moderator who yelled at someone for such an action was mistaken. If that moderator was right in their actions, then you should definitely create your new thread.

I don't think that would be necessary It would be locked before anyone gets to post.

Do we have an actual date? Will it be a big media announced / covered event?

There aren't any big dates as far as I know, and I'm pretty sure that the R179 pilot will only be covered by the media when it hits the road for burn-in testing (which would probably take a few more weeks after the delivery date, as did the R188s when they first came).