R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

It won't be a big media event, the plot cars will most likely be delivered in the middle of the night.

They might put them on display at Hoyt like they did the R160s when they was new...

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?45346

My dad brought me there! I remember seeing them for the first time. The display on the inside was set to (W).

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard some one say that they're getting delivered by rails

Might be like how the R62As were delivered (I'm not so sure about how the logistics would go about in the city though - would they use SBK tracks if they really were delivered by rail?).

Edited by RTS9000

They'd probably come the same way the R142s came which was the NY&A to Fresh Pond Yard IIRC.

Good point; the R142s were delivered by rail too (and were made by Bombardier), and much more recently than the R62As.

I wonder if there's any new mechanical modifications other then the slight redesign. For one I think the R179's coding program/electric system/info system is more sophisticated and less vulnerable to bugs. Problem is, I don't think the programs for the R179 are compatible with the R160 programs. But we'll see once they arrive, which should be in about like...2 and half weeks right?

I wonder if there's any new mechanical modifications other then the slight redesign. For one I think the R179's coding program/electric system/info system is more sophisticated and less vulnerable to bugs. Problem is, I don't think the programs for the R179 are compatible with the R160 programs. But we'll see once they arrive, which should be in about like...2 and half weeks right?

I'm certain they will have the same programs the 143s/160s do. Don't see any reason why they would change it. And they won't run in service right away once there delivered, a lot of testing to be done, If they ran in service before Labor day I'd be shocked.

Edited by trainfan22

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if the 179's will have the horse shoe shaped poles like the ones on R160 9798-9802??

Yes. If you check the January (?) CPOC presentation on the MTA website (click on transparency and then board materials) they have pictures of the R179 interior and the car in the picture has those split poles.

Yes. If you check the January (?) CPOC presentation on the MTA website (click on transparency and then board materials) they have pictures of the R179 interior and the car in the picture has those split poles.

Anyone have a direct link to this? (I'm a little MTA web site challenged). Much appreciated.

Hey thanks mucho! Quick!  Do we have access to any closer-ups of the FIND system on board these R179s? I just wanted to see if they have the LCD video screen imbedded in them like on the R160s.

There's no reason they wouldn't. The FIND system, as it is, it pretty good. Personally, I see no reason it should change yet.

There's no reason they wouldn't. The FIND system, as it is, it pretty good. Personally, I see no reason it should change yet.

The MTA said in one of their CPOC meetings that they wanted to streamline the codes or something like that. I wouldn't be surprised that they update the electronics to modern standards. (There is probably more storage on the R179's systems too)

The MTA said in one of their CPOC meetings that they wanted to streamline the codes or something like that. I wouldn't be surprised that they update the electronics to modern standards. (There is probably more storage on the R179's systems too)

But that wouldn't cause changes to the FIND system itself. Those are changes to the onboard computer.

I've actually spoke with a T/O yesterday specifically and heard about the 179s however speaking to an employee doesn't make them correct or right. But we came to talk because I complimented his operating hauling on the Bravo N/B

Any new knowledge?