R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Nothing that's news to me. Was just saying that there were two cars not sets cars of 179s in but I didn't ask where becaus he got talking about other stuff. Not sure where his source was and he mentioned that they're the MTA is hoping to get the production trains in service by time the 2nd av subway open. So... not sure if the test train is an 8 car or 10car set. Other than that he was just sharing his experiences with operating different equipment hates the 46s but likes that 68/68A even told me off topic the 68s used to be able to hit 70 but that's all.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing that's news to me. Was just saying that there were two cars not sets cars of 179s in but I didn't ask where becaus he got talking about other stuff. Not sure where his source was and he mentioned that they're the MTA is hoping to get the production trains in service by time the 2nd av subway open. So... not sure if the test train is an 8 car or 10car set. Other than that he was just sharing his experiences with operating different equipment hates the 46s but likes that 68/68A even told me off topic the 68s used to be able to hit 70 but that's all.

There is no way the production cars will be operating by the time the second ave extension opens (if it opens at the end of the year). The prototype consist will need to complete qual testing and burn in, which usually takes up to a year or more, before production cars can even enter service. From what I know, the 179's haven't been delivered yet. Therefore, the earliest I can see production cars running, unless MTA tries to accelerate the testing period for the prototype cars, is sometime next summer or fall.

There is no way the production cars will be operating by the time the second ave extension opens (if it opens at the end of the year). The prototype consist will need to complete qual testing and burn in, which usually takes up to a year or more, before production cars can even enter service. From what I know, the 179's haven't been delivered yet. Therefore, the earliest I can see production cars running, unless MTA tries to accelerate the testing period for the prototype cars, is sometime next summer or fall.

Update:

A person on FB confirmed he saw a R179 on a flatbed heading towards NYC on the I-85.

Is this ttue!?!?

please tell us more. Who is this? Are they credible?

I-85? That doesn't make any sense. This is a map of I-85.290px-Interstate_85_map.png

Do you mean 95? This is already a red flag.

LOL. Gentlemen, let the rumour-mill engines begin!!

(Ya, I'm Canadian, so-what? and that's how we spell "rumour". LOL)

By the way, we do love our American neighbours (see what I did there?)

Edited by subwayboy

Perhaps he got I-85 confused with I-87, which is the NY Thruway and a Highway that one would travel on to go from Plattsburgh NY where the Bombardier plant is located, to NYC. 

The delivery truck would split off from the Thruway at some point between Albany and Rockland County to go though Jersey and go into NYC via the GWB... subway car deliveries always go over the GWB.

Edited by trainfan22

Update:

The first 10 car set is in fact supposed to be on the way as I type. T/O's have been notified that Qualification for the R179 will begin by months end.

in other news, which I will mention in the R211 thread. Bombardier has officially been disqualified from bidding on the R211.

That's accurate info. 1st 10 cars are in delivery now.

We haven't expected any production cars to show up in the Q in at least a year now as the delays have been well documented.

However, Burn in and Qualification testing will not take as long as it normally does. The first 4 train sets are complete, and will be tested simultaneously with the pilot set. That way, when MTA qualifies the train, Bombardier can begin immediate delivery of the first production sets. Entry into service us expected by next spring at the latest. However, that depends on the pilot testing.

Update:

A person on FB confirmed he saw a R179 on a flatbed heading towards NYC on the I-85.

Is this ttue!?!?

Most likely is, as the first 10 car set is scheduled to be on TA property by Monday. I should be able to confirm the validity of actual delivery being in progress or not this evening after 12.

Edited by East New York

Breaking news!

Just confirmed from my good friend Trevor Logan. Bombardier now has 3 trailers set up at 207 Street in preparation for for fleet support. So as I reported, R179's are definitely on the way. However, I was told the first 10 car set would be here by Monday. A couple/few cars may in fact be delivered during the week. It's also reported that Bombardier is now working on the 6th production set. Let's hope the Pilot passesfinal Audit inspection. However, Bombardier has confirmed to me that even if the pilot does not pass Audit Inspection, they can incorporate any changes into the train sets already built.

On a side not, even though Bombardier is trying by all means to to make up their failures, MTA doesn't care..... The R179 will likely go on to be one of the best fleets ever, but they won't be making anything for us anytime soon. Maybe they can get the R22X contract! Lol..... No actually I'm ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!

Now back on topic.... R179's are definitely on the way! Oh and in case you are wondering why the trains look slightly different from the R160's? Just wait on it!!! This is a good one! I can't speak on it yet.

Although the trailers are set up for fleet support, we have yet to see any sign of a train car. All of them won't come at once, so seeing that none of them are here, I don't see the whole set coming in before the end of next week.

The trains are scheduled to test out in the Rockaways as long as nothing has changed.