R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Breaking news!

Just confirmed from my good friend Trevor Logan. Bombardier now has 3 trailers set up at 207 Street in preparation for for fleet support. So as I reported, R179's are definitely on the way. However, I was told the first 10 car set would be here by Monday. A couple/few cars may in fact be delivered during the week. It's also reported that Bombardier is now working on the 6th production set. Let's hope the Pilot passesfinal Audit inspection. However, Bombardier has confirmed to me that even if the pilot does not pass Audit Inspection, they can incorporate any changes into the train sets already built.

On a side not, even though Bombardier is trying by all means to to make up their failures, MTA doesn't care..... The R179 will likely go on to be one of the best fleets ever, but they won't be making anything for us anytime soon. Maybe they can get the R22X contract! Lol..... No actually I'm ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!

Now back on topic.... R179's are definitely on the way! Oh and in case you are wondering why the trains look slightly different from the R160's? Just wait on it!!! This is a good one! I can't speak on it yet.

how many cars have been produced so far?

We'll find out soon enough. If the five-car sets aren't on the (A), which would likely be the default line if the four-car sets are on the (C), the cars cannot run on the line for some reason.

why does it now say work in progress don't ask. It used to say something about a history of subway routes.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, Lance! Why do you have to remind us of that awful R188 sign?

What'd I do?  :P

why does it now say work in progress don't ask. It used to say something about a history of subway routes.

Because I changed it. I'm bumping a few things forward first.

So as I reported, R179's are definitely on the way. However, I was told the first 10 car set would be here by Monday. A couple/few cars may in fact be delivered during the week. It's also reported that Bombardier is now working on the 6th production set.

So if they're working on the 6th set, all five 10 cars sets have been completed and they're starting the first 8 Car set?

Although the trailers are set up for fleet support, we have yet to see any sign of a train car. All of them won't come at once, so seeing that none of them are here, I don't see the whole set coming in before the end of next week.

The trains are scheduled to test out in the Rockaways as long as nothing has changed.

Any confirmation on the propulsion? For god sakes tell me its MITRAC 1508C. If it uses the TR or 2009 stock MITRAC im going to be so sad.

For the people running back to that other Bus Chat page, if you are going to quote my information please do it in it's entirety. The ONLY thing I said Trever Logan confirmed was that Bombardier trailers are now set up for fleet support. Someone said they have been there quite a while, and that is false information. The trailers were just set up prior to the weekend.

As far as my sources go, I will once again say I am not obligated to reveal any of them, and if you don't like it, too bad. I still get paid to do what I do and wo'nt loose a bit of sleep if anyone wants to question my sources. Since 2008, 99% of everything I have posted comes to the light and or made it to black and white straight from the MTA.

Have the power issues in the rockaways been resolved or does the R179 have different power voltage requirements to an R160?

Those were resolved about 3 years ago.

If the 6th production set is being worked on now, I would assume at least 50 cars by now...or somewhere in that general area.

No. The set is considered 5 cars. Two 5 car sets are complete, and its reported that 20 cars in total are done or in various stages of completion. That's a typo, it should say the 5th set is being worked on, which is actually only the 4th production set. 

Any confirmation on the propulsion? For god sakes tell me its MITRAC 1508C. If it uses the TR or 2009 stock MITRAC im going to be so sad.

It has been confirmed, I just keep forgetting to request the info.

For the people running back to that other Bus Chat page, if you are going to quote my information please do it in it's entirety. The ONLY thing I said Trever Logan confirmed was that Bombardier trailers are now set up for fleet support. Someone said they have been there quite a while, and that is false information. The trailers were just set up prior to the weekend.

As far as my sources go, I will once again say I am not obligated to reveal any of them, and if you don't like it, too bad. I still get paid to do what I do and wo'nt loose a bit of sleep if anyone wants to question my sources. Since 2008, 99% of everything I have posted comes to the light and or made it to black and white straight from the MTA.

Those were resolved about 3 years ago.

No. The set is considered 5 cars. Two 5 car sets are complete, and its reported that 20 cars in total are done or in various stages of completion. That's a typo, it should say the 5th set is being worked on, which is actually only the 4th production set. 

It has been confirmed, I just keep forgetting to request the info.

Are you going to try and get us pictures if possible? If you know anyone at the MTA, or anyone does, try and get some possible arrival video?

Do we know the final design for the front? I've seen a reference or two here to a "design change", but searching and going back pretty far, I can't find details on that. (Sorry if I missed it.) I also can't tell if that's related to the two different designs we've seen for the front.

The published MTA progress report seemed to show two different designs for the front in the same document. Does anyone know which is the final design? The bottoms look very different. 

R179-ext-A.jpg

R179-ext-B.jpg

Do we know the final design for the front? I've seen a reference or two here to a "design change", but searching and going back pretty far, I can't find details on that. (Sorry if I missed it.) I also can't tell if that's related to the two different designs we've seen for the front.

The published MTA progress report seemed to show two different designs for the front in the same document. Does anyone know which is the final design? The bottoms look very different. 

R179-ext-A.jpg

R179-ext-B.jpg

The Bottom is an actually a mockup, it wasn't the actual train. It was pretty much identical to the R160 and they didn't want that. The top is the true design of the train.

I've always thought that the right side should be a giant LCD the size of a R44 rollsign that just displays the route instead of those tiny NTT displays above the door.

I believe that is the plan for the R211s.

Edited by P3F

Another week and another delay..... This time no one seems to be talking..... Something is NOT good on the horizon.... I have a strong feeling this train is somehow going to fail on burn-in testing..... When everyone plays quiet on me it's always an indicator that the s#^+ is about to hit the fan and someone doesn't want me running my mouth. On top of that, the MTA was scheduled to begin qualification testing a week ago.....

Just a heads up to everyone... This may get worse before it gets better.... If there is no train on property within the next 14 days, there is a bigger issue that Bombardier is trying to keep quiet about. I said from day 1 when I created this thread years ago that the order should go to Kawasaki.... Not because I was a fan of there trains, but I read the documents for the technical evaluation and felt it spelled disaster.

On another note, I have a question for the subway buffs. If there will be 65 4-car sets, doesnt that leave a set of cars out?

Edited by East New York