What the heck are these???

metsfan

They are across both center tracks, maybe all 4, i can't remember. I will look for them tomorrow, but they might be south of new brunswick, where i'm catching the train tomorrow. If it's light at night when i come home i'll try to get another photo. I was thinking it might be an ownership boundary, or a speed restriction related thing. Not sure. It looks like the tar filled inserts you find in between concrete curbs and sidewalks.

- Andy

It would make sense, since there seems to be areas on both sides you'd want to get access to in that area. There's another weird thing going on with the tracks in another spot i'll have to get a shot of if i can this week or next. Next week i'm going to a mets day game so i'll try to remember to format the memory on my camera which is full from photos the last month before i do any new stuff.

- Andy

I went hunting specifically for these today. They seem to correlate with those square boxes which have cables coming from them (most are spray-painted yellow and are located near switching points).

Some photos and a video:

P4240052.jpg

P4240054.jpg

P4240072.jpg

- Andy

I went hunting specifically for these today. They seem to correlate with those square boxes which have cables coming from them (most are spray-painted yellow and are located near switching points).

Some photos and a video:

P4240052.jpg

P4240054.jpg

P4240072.jpg

- Andy

Maybe some kinda of sensor?

Maybe some kinda of sensor?

That's what i was thinking. It could be to make sure there's a stop signal on the track you're departing as a train is about to go over a set of moving switch points, and to confirm it switched to the right track, if not posting a stop signal for any possible intercepting traffic on the line it ended up on.

That being said, it wouldn't explain it 100%, because they are not before and after -every- set of points, in fact i'd need to look again to see a pattern. Maybe it's just used at a minimum of points to keep everything safe?

How far does it take a acela, regional, crescent, cardinal, silver meteor/star, keystone, pennsylvanian, vermonter to stop at the max speeds for those trains at their typical combined weight? What is the max speed(s) allowed when a train is switching tracks ahead of the train your on? What of the (NJT) speeds and such? I am sure a 12 car multilevel consist takes longer to stop than a 5 car comet 2-4 consist traveling the same speed? or a silver meteor vs the same 5 car (NJT) consist? What of the EMU's (NJT) uses?

Many questions.... :eek:

- Andy

The could be a marker. For what I don't know. :confused:

It is surely one of the greatest mysteries of all time on the :nec: i've come across, as i've been trying to figure it out for 10 years.......

The next time i take an EMU, or get a chance to talk to a (NJT) driver i'll ask. Usually they are in a hurry, or don't leave the cab (they never leave the cab unattended, but sometimes they step just outside the door onto the platform), so it may be a few weeks.

- Andy

These things that are sticking from the track are called dragging detectors. I can see by one the pictures that you took this one from Edison station or going by Edison station. These things are put there to let the train know if something was hanging to low or if it was dragging something. Once the object hits the detector the dispatcher would call your train and stop it and the crew must inspect the train for any draggin item. Most of time this happens when their is alot of snow and ice build up.

These things that are sticking from the track are called dragging detectors. I can see by one the pictures that you took this one from Edison station or going by Edison station. These things are put there to let the train know if something was hanging to low or if it was dragging something. Once the object hits the detector the dispatcher would call your train and stop it and the crew must inspect the train for any draggin item. Most of time this happens when their is alot of snow and ice build up.

I guess a loose brake hose would trigger this too? Thanks so much for the explanation! Yea, the photo with the notched thingy is at edison.

- Andy

Looks like only the express tracks have them. Do they appear on the local tracks anywhere?

A few places have them all the way across, while other places just have the inner tracks. Also, it seems a bit random, and i've seen ones on just one track in a location.

- Andy

They proably don't use them on the local tracks because trais stop so often anyway.

They are probably more concerned with the long distance trains having problems, which use the inner 2 tracks 90% of the time.

- Andy

Archived