can't make up my mind

Bread

Hello everyone

My story is just like undecided(chuck) see i just got my letter to come and do my pre-interview for mta B/O it one time i would have been so happy to see this letter, but right now i'm at a job that i truely love, i do banking and i love it my salary is 50k a year with a bonus of no less that 6k, i also get 22 day vacation and i have only been here 2 years. But i don't no if i should quit and be a B/O instead with the 25/55 lifetime benefits and 1/2 salary that sounds good, also i already have my cdl class b with pass so i don't need to take the test. they said in the letter my starting pay is 16.50 and i don't no how fast that goes up, and how much vactions time do you start out with.

also a the job i'm at now i don't have to pay for healthcare benefits for me.

so what do you quys thinks, i'm i a fool for quiting or should i stay.

please help.(life dealing decison).

At 16.50 it sounds like MTA Bus, not NYCTA or MaBSTOA. That $16.50 depends on if you get to pick Yonkers or Eastchester depots. The other 6 depots, you will start off with alot less. If you love your job, stay with it. You get what most people look for in a job. Benefits. Forget the 25/55 thing. It doesn't matter for some, as they have no more intentions of staying here that long. If you have to do 30/62, it is nothing if you like your job. We do pay 1.5% of our salary towards our benefits now, and I think that suppose to be going up (IIRC, I read it in the TWU newspaper they mail to members).

Staying put would be better for you. Vacation here, well I got 9 days my first 9 months (aka my first year), and my second year I get 10 days (what they call 2 weeks).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone

My story is just like undecided(chuck) see i just got my letter to come and do my pre-interview for mta B/O it one time i would have been so happy to see this letter, but right now i'm at a job that i truely love, i do banking and i love it my salary is 50k a year with a bonus of no less that 6k, i also get 22 day vacation and i have only been here 2 years. But i don't no if i should quit and be a B/O instead with the 25/55 lifetime benefits and 1/2 salary that sounds good, also i already have my cdl class b with pass so i don't need to take the test. they said in the letter my starting pay is 16.50 and i don't no how fast that goes up, and how much vactions time do you start out with.

I just want to say welcome and try to help you with your decision....I am currently a BO with the MTA BUS at college point depot....I make 16.50 per hr and I am couple months shy of making a year....it is not a straight 16.50 per hr....it depends on what the run pays....and every couple of months you get to pick to work on a different line if you get bored or whant a change of route. Thier are alot of ways to make money...if you are finished and something happened on the line they may ask you to do another trip....they also could give you a "coa" a change of assignment...just for the "coa" you get and hr and a half plus the time you get back late... You can sign up to work overtime on your day off if you want...when they call you...they tell you the runs that are open and you pick the one you want and you get paid the run pay plus 4hrs...when you first start you will be on the extra board...working all different hrs in a week...usually last for one pick....2-3 months time...at first they pick for you....but after that if you want to work on the extra board....you can pick it and make some money....you will work sr guys run...alot of them have runs that pay anywhere from 10-13hrs a day...if you pick a report time you will sit in the drivers room and watch tv and bs with guys and get paid....if after 4hrs they do not call you you get to go home and get paid for 8hrs and 15 min. So your 50k plus 6K sounds good....but they have bus drivers making 100k a year driving a bus....overtime rules here!!, but if you get to pick a run that pays 50hrs a week and that is good for you the money that is...then you still have your 2 days off... Just make sure that when it comes time to pick that you pick a TWU union garage.....they make 16.50....they other starts off with 12.87 an hr.....JFK and Spring Creek....

I have thier GHI high option plan Single....includes dental and vision...costs me 6.59a week...generic drugs are free...

You have to look at the banking industry and with the current credit crises....and it seems banks rise and then they fall....Citi-bank is laying off thousands of jobs....in the MTA you will always have a job and you can also move around once you get in....this is a great time to get into MTA Bus...it is a new division for MTA....when the new contract gets done alot of guys will be retireing....so stuff that took guys 5-7 years to get you will move up quick and be getting it in 2-3years time. I think I covered alot for you....come join the union of brothers moving New York!!

Good Luck in your decision!!

Hello everyone

You are doing well for somebody your age. That is good that you are happy with your job,the majority of workers feel just the opposite. But you have to think of your future,not just short term. Your industry is shedding jobs at a record clip. If something can go wrong it will.

I am not a BO,I just took exam #8006 last week. I would say switch and become a BO. In less than 3 years you will be making at least the same money if not more than you are now. It isn't an easy decision but whatever you do I hope it works out for the best.

Archived