Question on platforms

BMT4Life

Why are some station platforms island and some not? For example like on the two track (L) line, some are island and some stations are one sided. Transfer points don't count because some island stations don't have transfer connections to other lines.

I've thought about that myself before and never knew why. I only thought of maybe two reasons why:

1. Some stations were predicted to be busier than others. A busy station sharing an island platform would not be ideal with the growth of ridership. So having dedicated station platforms makes it more practical.

2. Another reason could be the available real estate. Some stations could not be built with independent platforms due to lack of room or space underground.

If anyone can shed some light please feel free.

I think it might have to deal with loading capacities.

Look at PATH for example, if the platform dedicated to Track one for trains bound for Hoboken and 33rd Street wasn't there, that island platform would be crush loaded with people. So the other platform helps ease the crowding.

I think it might have to deal with loading capacities.

Look at PATH for example, if the platform dedicated to Track one for trains bound for Hoboken and 33rd Street wasn't there, that island platform would be crush loaded with people. So the other platform helps ease the crowding.

The cut & cover stations usually have side platforms with the tracks running under the street, the platforms under the sidewalk. The deeper stations seem to have both. The (F) at roosevelt island is an exception because of the tunneling method used there. I could be totally wrong but it's what i've observed.

The cut & cover stations usually have side platforms with the tracks running under the street, the platforms under the sidewalk. The deeper stations seem to have both. The (F) at roosevelt island is an exception because of the tunneling method used there. I could be totally wrong but it's what i've observed.

I think he's talking about underground stations and not cut & cover stations. I could be wrong though.

Archived