Was You're Commute Affected by the Weather?

checkmatechamp13

Was your commute affected by today's freezing rain?

What happened was, since there was freezing rain, I had to walk slower than I normally do to the bus stop. The S44 and S59 that were scheduled to show up never came, so the S89 that came was crowded (not overcrowded, but the seats were all taken and there were maybe 12 people standing when it reached my stop). I saw a bunch of people waiting for the local bus at the stops we passed. (And a bunch of people were waiting in the freezing rain for the X17J, letting 3 buses pass by just because they didn't have seats)

When I got to Walker Street, I waited a minute and saw an S46 coming with a sign that said "NEXT BUS PLEASE". I thought "Oh Sh*t!", but I got lucky and somebody needed to get off, so the bus driver had to stop. When I got on, the bus driver gave me this funny look, like "there's no room", but I was able to make it all the way to the back.

What I found funny was the fact that he closed the front door, but left the back door open, and some kids came in that way. He shouted "Did I say you can come in the back?" I thought of shouting out "You didn't say they couldn't" (if they can't get on his bus, the next driver will have to fit them in), but I bit my tongue and said nothing.

this morning was horrible: I was waiting in the Freezing Slushy/rain by the Q72 bus stop in a crowd (the bus was not coming). After about 20 minutes I couldnt take it any longer and didnt go to school. I went right back home trying to warm up.

Even though I had on 1 sweatshirt, 1 heavy coat and 2 layers of sweatpants I was still FMAO.

What happened was, since there was freezing rain, I had to walk slower than I normally do to the bus stop. The S44 and S59 that were scheduled to show up never came, so the S89 that came was crowded (not overcrowded, but the seats were all taken and there were maybe 12 people standing when it reached my stop). I saw a bunch of people waiting for the local bus at the stops we passed. (And a bunch of people were waiting in the freezing rain for the X17J, letting 3 buses pass by just because they didn't have seats)

When I got to Walker Street, I waited a minute and saw an S46 coming with a sign that said "NEXT BUS PLEASE". I thought "Oh Sh*t!", but I got lucky and somebody needed to get off, so the bus driver had to stop. When I got on, the bus driver gave me this funny look, like "there's no room", but I was able to make it all the way to the back.

What I found funny was the fact that he closed the front door, but left the back door open, and some kids came in that way. He shouted "Did I say you can come in the back?" I thought of shouting out "You didn't say they couldn't" (if they can't get on his bus, the next driver will have to fit them in), but I bit my tongue and said nothing.

I left extra early this morning to catch the last X30 around 08:19 or so, thinking I could get in around 09:30 or so and arrived after 10:00 :(. I wasn't aware that it had actually snowed leading to icey, slushy conditions. A bus showed up at least 20 minutes late and I'm certain it was the next to last bus, so I got on not wanting to chance it being the last bus even though it was already crowded. One seat was broken and at least four others couldn't be used because the seats were positioned for wheelchairs and never put back in place. We were packed like sardines by the time we reached the last stop and it was SRO. It would've been more crowded had folks not looked for alternatives. A few people got off refusing to stand after having waited so long (and I don't blame them). Several passengers asked if the seats could be put back in place so that they could be sat in and it seemed like the B/O had a nonchalant attitude.

Those who were standing were pissed the entire time talking about how express buses had been cut and how horrendous the X30 has been of late.

While waiting, I noticed that the S48s were running in twos both ways. Four arrived in twos going towards the ferry and two arrived going towards Mariners' Harbor. I thought about walking over to the X14, but from what I could hear it was in bad shape too. :)

Hopefully the commute home is better.

Better than usual, I waited about 7 minutes and 5, count them five (Bx12)SBS came. Two of them were crowded as usual but the rest empty, then got to 207 and the T/O on the 70(A) hauled ass. I got 20 minutes earlier than usual to my destination.

I waited about twenty-five minutes for a west bound B35 in the morning. When the bus finnaly arrived, it was of course packed, very packed and like always when its packed, a whole lotta commotion. I didn't even need a pole to hold on to, the people that were squeezed against me kept my balance. A few people busted their asses trying to avoid heavy puddles while exiting the bus.

Last night, the 12am ferry didn't show up until 12:15am because of the snow but somehow the ferry reached staten island around 12:35-ish. All the buses were gone and left everyone to freeze in the cold for 30 minutes. Then the 12:30am boat came in at 12:50am and the ferry terminal looked like it was dead in the middle of rush hour with lines stretching down as far as the eye could see. The buses didn't arrive until after 1am but it was quick ride down the terrace on the S40, even though the O5 had chains on it.

My little brother told me that when he was going to school earlier this morning, the S44 never shown up and when it did after about 30 minutes it got stuck in some water and he had to wait another 20 minutes for the next one. Once again the S44 gets :tdown::tdown: because it's supposed to run every 10-12 minutes in the morning.

The roads themselves were fine... if you had a car. But once the rain came and melted the snow, it created 3" deep puddles at intersections and variations in the road (dips, etc.) and most bus stops and shelters weren't even shoveled! I got on an N51 at 11:20 AM, but thought I wouldn't make it to Merrick's LIRR station in time for a train that would stop at Lynbrook, so I decided to get off at Uniondale Avenue. I got some coffee from the McDonald's and crossed the street.

I waited 20 minutes in the freezing ****ing rain for an N70/1/2, and a 71 was tagging along behind a 72, so they probably punched up somewhere along the line. By then, the only part of me that was dry was... who the **** am I kidding, I was pretty much all but drowning with all the water I had to walk through.

I got on the 72 and got to Hempstead at about 11:50 AM, where the only interesting thing of the day was being able to see one of the new 1800s (#1803) sitting pretty in the N70 bay. Someone else made a remark about the new buses that made his friend laugh, but I went inside and refilled two MetroCards, then went back out and waited for an N31/32. Only a 32 came and it was some B/O who was desperate to deadhead back to RVC after everyone was off. The 12:12 PM N32 never came, and I didn't want to wait for the 12:42, so I hopped on one of the N15s that came by...

It smelled like piss in there, and some annoying woman sitting on the HVAC unit by the rear door of the NG CNG kept bringing it up. I got off under the tracks by RVC station and walked across the parking lot of the CVS to get an N4. That bus was fine, and then caught an N25 home... but again, no one gives a **** about the system out here, and it took a court order to get Mangano to cooperate. All the bus stops are still surrounded by feet of snow and some of these puddles were feet deep..

The roads themselves were fine... if you had a car. But once the rain came and melted the snow, it created 3" deep puddles at intersections and variations in the road (dips, etc.) and most bus stops and shelters weren't even shoveled! I got on an N51 at 11:20 AM, but thought I wouldn't make it to Merrick's LIRR station in time for a train that would stop at Lynbrook, so I decided to get off at Uniondale Avenue. I got some coffee from the McDonald's and crossed the street.

I waited 20 minutes in the freezing ****ing rain for an N70/1/2, and a 71 was tagging along behind a 72, so they probably punched up somewhere along the line. By then, the only part of me that was dry was... who the **** am I kidding, I was pretty much all but drowning with all the water I had to walk through.

I got on the 72 and got to Hempstead at about 11:50 AM, where the only interesting thing of the day was being able to see one of the new 1800s (#1803) sitting pretty in the N70 bay. Someone else made a remark about the new buses that made his friend laugh, but I went inside and refilled two MetroCards, then went back out and waited for an N31/32. Only a 32 came and it was some B/O who was desperate to deadhead back to RVC after everyone was off. The 12:12 PM N32 never came, and I didn't want to wait for the 12:42, so I hopped on one of the N15s that came by...

It smelled like piss in there, and some annoying woman sitting on the HVAC unit by the rear door of the NG CNG kept bringing it up. I got off under the tracks by RVC station and walked across the parking lot of the CVS to get an N4. That bus was fine, and then caught an N25 home... but again, no one gives a **** about the system out here, and it took a court order to get Mangano to cooperate. All the bus stops are still surrounded by feet of snow and some of these puddles were feet deep..

I'm sure some B/Os get desperate and piss right on those local buses by the back door. I've been on a few local buses and have wondered the same thing... Yet another reason why I'm so reluctant to sit on them. The MTA tries to keep anything about germs and filth on the hush to not freak people out, but one can just look at the floors alone to see how dirty those buses are. I just try not to focus on it too much and try to never drop anything on them. :eek:

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.259 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Very nice... You get power yet?

--

Nightmare getting to work today. My train wasn't running, had to walk 10 blocks and grab the express. Express left me 20 blocks from where I needed to go, no local train in sight, no local bus in sight. Ended up walking around 30 blocks extra between getting to the train and going from the train... Yeesh.

It went off at around 11:30 this morning then came back on at 6:47 pm. It went off again 30 minutes later than finally came back on again at 9:06 pm

I walk 9 blocks or so in the freezing rain to the 7th Av station on the (F) because there is no north bound service at my station (15th St) and there was no way I was going to wait for the (B61). Hell, not even 1 bus passed my on my way to the train.

I haven't had an experience like your's here in a long time. Brings back memories of rainy days at CSI & getting on hyper-overcrowded 62s which were disgustingly stuffy.

Those were the daze.

Archived