The New Assignments...

dmouse

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And note that their is only 5 lo-vs in NY. Do want a 5 car train on the Lex? I think not.

True. Very true. Who knows, if the 2nd Avenue line is built, having museum trains on Lexington Avenue might not sound as scary. Not that i can ever see the (MTA) using a museum train in regular service anytime soon....but anything is possible. ;)

Anyways back on topic. I know the R32s have gone through the life of a train like champ when you take into consideration how long they've been in service...But on the (J) ? A large portion of the (J) is elevated so snow and rain will be hitting the R32s as well. Overall it'll be odd to have them on that line. Not that the (MTA) cares but R32s should be laid to rest on the (C) not the (J).

R46s would be awesome on the (C). We won't have to run a marathon to the train when we forget that the (C) is rather short.

Grand Central (S)?.

Yeah that sounds good.

And about the R32 (J), I don't think it's a good idea because of that. If they're worried about issues above ground and damage, they should stay underground. I think the (E) would also be a good place for them

This info is from my source, and my friend who's source who had a new car assignment sheet.

Very soon the following will happen-

The (A) will loose about 6-8 full train sets if R46s to the (C).

This will displace about 50 R32s to the (J) (YES the (J) )

The 50 R42s at ENY will be pulled from service (I don't get that part)

To replace the moved R46 sets, the younger STABLE R44 sets (1973 - 54XXs) Yes Those R44s will be brought back out, SMS'ed and return to the (A) till they reach REAL retirement.

That's all for now. Any questions on this? I'll ask my source for more info tommorow

so why take out the R42's which are younger than the R32's? dammit i want my beloved R38's back!!!:cry:

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

So can someone explain that R32 set sitting in Fresh Pond since the summertime?

Storage I think, though I did hear that they were using them to break in crews on the Christye St Cut.

There is more then what meets the eye. These subway cars aren't as healthy as they look. Just, because sometimes I say they look fine, and other people would too doesn't mean they are. A person could look extremely healthy, but have cancer. Same as a train car. It can look fine, but the car bodies can be falling apart.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Storage I think, though I did hear that they were using them to break in crews on the Christye St Cut.

That's the thing, it hasn't moved at all since it got there. Its on the same exaxt track and other than a few rollsign changes (someone put it as a (Mx) one time) it looks exactly the same as when it got there

That's the thing, it hasn't moved at all since it got there. Its on the same exaxt track and other than a few rollsign changes (someone put it as a (Mx) one time) it looks exactly the same as when it got there

I just talked to someone, it's there for storage.

That's why your not in charge. If you spent any time under them or looking at the frame, you would know why they were pulled from service.

Frame issues too?

And I'll take a look under 4737 when I get the chance.

It wouldn't be really expensive if you SMEE the R44's, and used them as school cars. You can just run them in tunnels for short distances. I don't think it would be that dangerous if they are in the tunnels, and they are driven for short distances.

They are SMEE'd genius. That's not at all in the least the problem with them.

Oh, but they're SMEE'd to 130 lbs brake pipe pressure which means they're incompatible with everything else.

Which still isn't the problem with them..

They should not enter service again, and if those who know anything about trains who work (some high up) in the MTA have their way, they won't.

What's the point of using them as schoolcars if the T/O's being trained on them will never operate them in service?

Yeah that sounds good.

And about the R32 (J), I don't think it's a good idea because of that. If they're worried about issues above ground and damage, they should stay underground. I think the (E) would also be a good place for them

I seriously doubt an R32 will ever run again on a busy line like the E. Riders there have had R160's for a bit more than 2 years now and the line has been exclusively R160 for over a year now. Riders would freak out if an R32 showed up on the E.

How many R32's are there still in service. I thought is about 230. I would think this number would allow the C to remain all R32 and still have enough cars left for 5-6 train sets for the J in order retire the remaining R42's.

I would love to see R44's back in service. As mentioned would make more sense to put them on the C like in the summer and keep the A all R46.

If the R42s are to stay until the R179s come I just hope this doesn't start happening to them.

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=750072

If that ever happened on a (J) or (Z) train that would upset a lot of people.

The probable issue with that car was that it took excessive power when it started up. The poster of those videos made it seem those trains were an accident waiting to happen.

I've been on an R46 on the (R) in the rear car that bucks when it starts up so that's nothing new. The train probably went to the yard afterwards.

Archived