The New Assignments...

dmouse

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

id rather just wait until it actually happens. if R46's go to the (C), its fine. if R32's go to the (J)(Z), oh well, they do. if some R44' come back to life (which i really doubt), then hey, so be it. all i can do is wait.

my real question is: wasnt there a rumor saying that some of the R46's were going to Staten Island for (SIR) service?

5417 is one of those howling motors that is also common on the R68's. Love those howling motors.:tup: I think I've heard R32s and R42s make the same sound before. As a matter of fact I think most Westinghouse cars make that sound.

Yep there are a few sets around with maybe 1 car in a consist with a howling motor similar to Westinghouse.

• 3 weeks later...
This info is from my source, and my friend who's source who had a new car assignment sheet.

Very soon the following will happen-

The (A) will loose about 6-8 full train sets if R46s to the (C).

That's all for now. Any questions on this? I'll ask my source for more info tommorow

ITT:

successful_troll.jpg

Not sure where to post this, but on Sunday, I saw a 192x [for the first 5-cars] set on the 1. They were all almost consecutively set [1925/6?,1924,1922,1923?,1921? - forgot the exact order other than 24 and 22 being together]. So is it possible the MTA maybe trying to get 5-car singles into a 5-car unit? This was pretty surprising to me. I only wished I had more time to see and take pics of it had my (2) not pulled in at 34th St.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Not sure where to post this, but on Sunday, I saw a 192x [for the first 5-cars] set on the 1. They were all almost consecutively set [1925/6?,1924,1922,1923?,1921? - forgot the exact order other than 24 and 22 being together]. So is it possible the MTA maybe trying to get 5-car singles into a 5-car unit? This was pretty surprising to me. I only wished I had more time to see and take pics of it had my (2) not pulled in at 34th St.

That's been there for a while now. Here's a picture I caught of it in January of last year...

utf-8BQlUzNS5KUEc.jpg

i doubt it i have been hearing different stories and as for now the ta can't get rid of nothing since the mta lost alot of money and in the newspaper the mta stated that they want to add 2 more trainsets to the (J) for the rush hour so there is still a possibillty of R32s going over there but not to replace the r42s or unmothball the 14 r42s at 207 and if any changes happen it wont take place until april and for the record if they were to really was to do this they would have started already btw those r62s are still singles they just slapped them together

• 1 month later...

An additional thing I've heard (which I'm surprised never turned up here) is them looking into replacing Bay Pkwy service with a single (J) at a 4 minute headway! that would be part of bringing the 32's over here, and more would be brought out of mothballing.

The ERA Bulletin this month mentions that there are 222 R-32's that remain in service (Including 6 cars used for the gel train that were returned to service). There were 18 additional cars that had been removed from service in the Fall as well.

Not sure if or when this would go through. Does make sense, because I had been thinking in all the excitement of the new Chrystie service, won't the riders displaced from the Montague service end up squeezing onto the IRT, which they had been desperately trying to reduce the crowds on?

Still, in all of that, I hadn't heard this stuff about the (A)(C) swap with the 46's, or the (G) getting 68's. I thought that stuff just fell by the wayside.

I often wonder what the final assignment will be when the 179's and 211's are in.

The word tends to be that the (A) will get the 179's. It seemed like Jamaica would get them, before, but complaints on the (A) or something changed that. Of course, that would just push the 46's to the (C).

With the 211's, which should replace the 46's, I can imagine a few scenarios.

If they happened to be 75 feet, with 5 doors per car, that would be for the (E), and pushing the 160's to the (R). The rest might go to the (F), pushing more 160's elsewhere. If they're 60 ft, enough would probably go to Jamaica to replace the 46's, and then go directly to the next lines to get them.

Perhaps the (C) to make Pitkin/207 all one fleet. Or more likely, the (D) finally being next. So for the uptown lines, (which have totally gotten the shaft this round), either the (A)(C) with NTT's, the (B)(D) no change. Or, (A)(D) would have new trains, 68's (now the oldest) would be moved to the (C).

I wonder, though, with the salt water problem (which I too, recently heard is what did the 44's in), if they would determine that the computer equipment couldn't ever handle the salt. So you could see something like (A)(C) 68's/68A; (B)(D), 211's. That would keep with the current practice of PIT/207 having the oldest stuff. But then, I heard this was being complained against. Could you imagine (A) 68's, (C) 211's? Or how about (D) 68's, (B), 211's or 160;s, to address the sign change needs, plus to blend in with the rest of the NTT's in CI? (Since (D ) is separate at Concourse anyway)?

In the cases where the 68's are split, and NTT's distributed to all yards, it would be a very unique situations, and the system would be nearly homogenized (assuming the 179's and 211's look similar enough to the 160's). It would be like when the IND consisted almost entirely of R1-9's. It's hard to imagine the (A)(D) and (F) running all the same equipment again (and this long term distinction is one that still continues, with 160's, 46's and 68's). And the BMT, including even the East also now "equal' for a change! (I grew up in the 70's, when all the new stuff went to IND expresses!)

I know a lot of people don't want a homogenized system like that, but it would be very unusual in itself. And you wouldn't have whole sections screwed over with old stuff anymore, like before the NTT's began arriving.

J to Bay Pkwy is bad...they should just make everything back the way it is before lol

I don't see it looking bad to be honest. Even tho the (J) would be too long, but would give those riders in South Brooklyn a ride via Nassau and Jamaica

Bringing the old way i REALLY doubt it ill EVER happen at this time.

TBH the (M) is pretty much doing a good job getting Jamaica / Broadway(J)(M)(Z) riders to get to Midtown. When im on the BMT Jamaica Line i can easily take my uptown (D) home instead of getting off for the (F) at Essex at then the (D) at Broadway Laff.

I do miss the (V).. But things has to move on in life.

An additional thing I've heard (which I'm surprised never turned up here) is them looking into replacing Bay Pkwy service with a single (J) at 4 tph!

What?!? (J) to Bay Parkway? Looks like 10 years after 9/11 sent the (J) via the (R), it will once again make some those stops again. But Bay Parkway will be too long. How about 5TPH to 9 Av (D) only? Since you're a T/O, I assume this is actually happening within a year...

I meant 4 min. headway (15tph!) :) This is also replacing the (Z).

This just gets even more unpredictable. The MTA wants to keep the (Z) to speed up travel times, so it rerouted the (Mx) to be the (M). Now they want to turn on themselves?

Archived