The New Assignments...

dmouse

Rush hours only, the (W) should be brought back. However, I don't see the need for the (W) to go all the way to Bay Pkwy. If there's a demand for more service via the Montegue tunnel to Lower Manhattan, then they can run a couple of those (W) trains to 9th Av and turn back.

(1)(9) served stations that had different needs. (J)(Z) served mainly residential areas and the ridership was more or less even among the stations. That's why (J)(Z) skip stop works better.

The (1) and (9) only did a skip stop in way upper manhattan and the bronx

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right After 9/11 is when service was crazy! Let's not make it crazy again with (J) and (Z) trains coming to the west end.. That's a long ass route for no reason. What if they had some Coney Island Layups from the (D) run west end express.. Think About it for a minute most of the crowd get's on at Bay Parkway.. 62nd street is eh.. because of the (N). But West End Express would help out just a little

Right After 9/11 is when service was crazy! Let's not make it crazy again with (J) and (Z) trains coming to the west end.. That's a long ass route for no reason. What if they had some Coney Island Layups from the (D) run west end express.. Think About it for a minute most of the crowd get's on at Bay Parkway.. 62nd street is eh.. because of the (N). But West End Express would help out just a little

The only reason the (J) was sent to South Brooklyn was because the (:P and (D) were incapable of doing so because of the Manhattan Bridge reconstruction project. The (Z) was suspended for two months.

The only reason the (J) was sent to South Brooklyn was because the (:P and (D) were incapable of doing so because of the Manhattan Bridge reconstruction project. The (Z) was suspended for two months.

Plus the (R) was suspended and the (J) and (Q) picked up the slack in Brooklyn & Queens respectively

As a resident of the West End Line I don't see any use to express service. Not much people would use it, and it would be peak directional. The West End Line isn't as crazy crowded as the Lexington Avenue Line. It's average. Most people just think it would be cool to look at express service on the line. The real truth is you can't just plan some random foaming idea on the map. You must use common sense, and ridership to justify things. The only place that I see that would really need help is the Fourth Avenue Line which was severely affected by the loss of the (Mx).

It seems like reincarnating the (W) is the best idea here due to the fact that it would serve Brooklyn, Lower Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan, and Queens. The (Mx) only served Brooklyn, Queens, and Lower Manhattan. By not going to Midtown it wasn't really useful, or crowded during rush hours. So by seeing that, any service like the <R>, or the (Mx) won't be really useful. So the most viable idea is to have a reincarnated (W). As it would have higher ridership, and higher benefits that justifies the cost of running it. Although a Nassau Street service would be cool to look at, and nostalgia is for concern it doesn't really help, and won't really do much. Also a reincarnated (W) would allow the (N) to be the Broadway Express again which is needed due to the fact the (Q) needs something to back it up.

The reincarnated (W) as I have had mentioned should be a weekdays only service. It won't run at all during late nights, or weekends. It would run from Astoria Ditmars Boulevard to either 9th Avenue (Lower Level), or Bay Parkway. If it is justifiable then the (W) would run, and terminate at Bay Parkway, but if it isn't it would terminate at the Lower Level of the Ninth Avenue station, but again the fact the (Mx) wasn't that crowded was due to the fact that it didn't run to Midtown which most people seemed to be going. I am a little certain that the (W) might have a higher ridership then the (Mx), and could run to Bay Parkway for a few months as a test. If the test doesn't really see a high ridership then it would be only Fourth Avenue that needs the service, and the (W) would terminate at the Lower Level of the Ninth Avenue station.

Service was crazy because of 9/11...

Don't forget that Lower Broadway was closed due to the tunnel damage and the fear that the vibrations from the trains could cause more damage in the already unstable debris pile. I remember reading a report that mentioned a large construction vehicle being used for the clearing of the pile falling through several stories of debris early in the debris removal.

Crazy didn't even begin to describe it: R32s on the (Q), R68s on the <Q>, slants on the (Mx), R46s on the (E), etc.

I wished I had a digital cam at that time, now that was a variety.

Don't forget R46s on the (Q), (E)'s to Euclid, (1)'s to New Lots, and I remember around the time of the tragic plane crash in the Rockaways that November, there were ©'s running out to Far Rockaway a couple of days.

I don't think the (J) to Bay Parkway is a bad idea. They can run a couple of trains from Jamaica Center to Bay Parkway in the PM rush, lay them up at CIYD over night and run them back up to the Nassau line in the next AM rush. I really don't see how they would tie up skip-stop, since it's in one direction (opposite skip-stop), and the trains can be scheduled so that they tie into the Jamaica line as needed, since the Jamaica line really doesn't tie into any other line. I used to work at Broadway and Wall and the (Mx) was perfect (and I wasn't the only one on the train). I can see that service being useful for at least the skip-stop hours of the rush.

As for R-32s on that assignment, a man can speculate...and dream :).

R46s must've been within the days after the attack [i remember that one photo on NYCsubway], but after that it was only R32s till the (N)/® returned.

Wow, I never knew they ran the ©s out there [after that crash]. Must've been short since I haven't seen many pics or reports of that happening.

Unless the (4)(5) are beyond capacity and people were forced to take another line, there's no way I see them thinking of having the (J) run to 9th Av or Bay Pkwy. Because the (4)(5) practically mirrors the (Mx) from Atlantic to Chambers. And I think such a train should start from broadway Junction and be a '(Z)'.

Well heres news (if this wasnt said already):

+the R44's will go back in service during the summer due to the R32's AC crapping out.

Heres what I got too say.If the R-46's go to the (C) and the 32 to the (A) for Lefferts Service.Chances are the 44's won't come back b\c they wouldn't be needed like last year.Last year there were 32 cars=4 sets and they bought cars BACK for increased service so there were about 6 sets out.This year idk whats gonna happen but if the 46's go to the (C) chances are the 44's won't run.But anything can happen.

I agree with bringing back the (W).Make it run from Whitehall to Bay Parkway and rush hrs add 2-4 train sets so they can run to 57th and terminate there for rush hrs.

Cant bring back the (W) with the current service pattern (with three services in the 60th tube). The (Q) would have to go back to 57 while the (W) is running, and also the middle tracks between 42 and 57 are used for layups now that G3/G4 are OoS for SAS construction.

Cant bring back the (W) with the current service pattern (with three services in the 60th tube). The (Q) would have to go back to 57 while the (W) is running, and also the middle tracks between 42 and 57 are used for layups now that G3/G4 are OoS for SAS construction.

Ok,this probably won't happen.Use the Yellow D from Whitehall to Bay Pkwy via 4th Av LCL and West End Exp.Either letter or what ever.

Uhm, I dunno what you're talking about, but the idea of the (W) a lot of us have is to bring it back AFTER SAS opens. So those middle tracks don't matter, since they're BIS after SAS is done.

Guest lance25

Please do all of us (and yourself) a favor and read the post he was responding to. His response to 2 Train Master was that the (W) can't return right now because the (Q) can't terminate at 57 St-7 Av due to ongoing construction work on the 63rd Street line just north of the station, due to the Second Avenue-to-63rd Street connection. Plus, there's no money for it. Of course, it will have to return in 2016 (or whenever the "line"'s completed) because Astoria needs more than one subway line over there.

Well heres news (if this wasnt said already):

+R32's are NOT going to the (A) May 1st

+the R44's will go back in service during the summer due to the R32's AC crapping out.

NO R44's Will Return In SERVICE,MTA MADE THAT CLEAR

REASON: R32's Are Getting Their A/C's Fixed - Overhauled at 207th st shop, That's why 3/4 of the fleet is OOS, 207th has been working around the clock fixing the A/C units on their R32's

as for the (A) getting R32's Lets wait until May 1st, I bet you it will stay the same as it is Now

Those 64 R44's will get scrapped

Archived