The New Assignments...

dmouse

Yes, and many of those cars are in reserve, and would thus be put back into service.

I was under the impression that the SBK (J) idea would only run 3-4 tph, as the poster who brought it up said, and not every (J) train would run out to SBK. This would only run a few extra trains in the direction that is needed, with lay-ups or light returns as however they would want to do this. Which is why I say it would not disrupt skip-stop.
That was a mistake. I had meant 4 ninute headway, not 4 tph. The tight headway was to make up for the lack of skip stop as far as providing the same level of service as the (J) and (Z).

I'm wondering, in order to partially make up for the time saving of skip stop, if they could designate every other train as circle and diamond, and the diamonds would run express from BWJ to BWM. All then would run express afterward, and to SBK. Don't know if that would lead to everyone waiting for the diamonds, but maybe not. Still, it would be beneficial to some.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Except for the part about terminating the W on the lower level of 9th Avenue, this would be a good service pattern for a resurrected W. From my own experience, I found that the Broadway Line ran better when the W was there. Now that it's gone and the N is running local and the weekday Q operates to Astoria, there are more delays due to the Q merging back in with the N at 34th. Prince St interlocking is a nightmare in both directions due to the southbound N merging back in with the Q and the northbound N merging with the R. Phase 1 of the SAS can't come fast enough!

I agree. the Broadway Line has plagued with horrible, irregular train runs ever since those June service cuts went into effect. The only good thing that came out of it was the Q becoming entirely R160s. I do not get what is the point of having it run express if it always gets held for 5+ minutes at the DeKalb Avenue, 34th Street, and Prince Street junctions to let the N or R local behind it proceed first. This effectively kills any time the express run saves. The N should run express with the Q at all times except late nights to reduce delays and keep service consistent. The R can handle the Broadway Local by itself. People have a crazy obsession over riding express trains even when they practically save no time. Every time I wait for the Q at 14th Street-Union Square to go home from Hunter College, when an N or R arrives, dozens of people run out to the other side of the platform to see if there is a Q coming. If there is not, they will attempt to run back to their train and most of them do not make it. If Astoria customers need Broadway Local service, the N should run via the Montague Street Tunnel at all times to avoid conflict with the Q on the Manhattan Bridge.

The B train is even worse. During my two semesters at John Jay College, my commute took 10 minutes longer than expected because my train gets held between DeKalb Avenue and the Manhattan Bridge to let the D train go through, then it gets held somewhere along Sixth Avenue because that D train is being held at Seventh Avenue-53rd Street to let the A stop at 59th Street-Columbus Circle. Finally, right before curving into 59th Street, my train gets held one more time to let the C proceed.

yeah ill be waiting.. Just like last time when u said the R32s are going on the (J).. What happen to that? And the R32s going to the (:(...... etc?!

I don't know what the purpose of the R32s going on the (A) other then making the (C) full length. Other then that then everything should stay put until the death sentence of the R32s and R42s come in.

I think the purpose of the "swap" would be to make the A express faster and give the C the fat subway cars it really needs (the Fulton and Central Park West local customers need their wide seats to support their obese asses). The R32s run faster than the R46s and look better on the A than the C (the reverse goes for the R46s). I bet whenever an A and C simultaneously leave a station, the C accelerates quicker and leaves the A behind until it reaches the next local station. This happened a lot between an R68 B and R160 Q on the Brighton Line and it will happen every day when the B starts running express in Brooklyn again in October, which is why i will still take the Q and 6 to college. They run more frequently and use better cars than the B and F.

I would love to see R32s on the J and B. Return all 240 R32s on (TA) property to revenue service and put 50 of them on the J in place of the R42s. The R42s should be converted for work service. They are the system's worst cars, so they should do the system's dirtiest jobs. Not to mention their air-conditioning seems to be much better than the R32s, so they would provide a lot of comfort for workers.

Send the rest of the R32s to the B, put its R68s on the A, and make the C entirely R46s. It will be a big upgrade for all three lines. Brighton riders can finally enjoy the system's two best cars, the sleek and shiny R32s and red hot R160s, while the overweight Fulton Street Line gets the system's two fattest cars.

There are no assignments changing Because the A doesnt have significant equipment problems and if minor problems arise, it can be solved with the spares of R46's or some of the C's R32's. Now, as for the C Line... its staying 8 car R32 til new NTTs arrive on property. If the C has problems with its equipment, it has more than enough R32 spares...Its been done plenty of times before...and as for the summer, whether C line riders like it or not, the R32's will Remain In service on the line but if the A/C units are extremely problematic again, then expect to see some of the A's spare R46's on the C line. NOT R44's!! Case closed. :P

The R46s have always been problematic. That is why there have been recent sightings of R32s on the A. The R46s' breakdown rates have been among the worst in the system as proven by the poor performances of the G, R, and V lines in the past few State of the Subways Reports. Hopefully, G riders, who have suffered with neglected subway cars since 1993, will be very happy to have the R68/68As on their line this summer, although their performances have also declined badly in recent years, causing Brighton riders with a few overweight exceptions who used to love them to hate them now.

The C does not need to be full length. It is usually empty throughout the day because in Manhattan, people usually ride the (1) a block away and in Brooklyn, the B25. There is reason why that bus route has not been cut even though it literally runs right above the C line. Ask any of its operators and they will tell you that the majority of their riders are elderly, disabled, or obese. They will all get heart attacks and strokes from climbing just one flight of stairs like my grandmother almost did on her first and only subway ride in 1996. It just shows you how messed up Fulton Street is. Every time I am in Downtown Brooklyn, a whole bunch of unhealty people come out of the B25 and go for the elevators at Jay Street-MetroTech. None of the stations between there and Euclid Avenue are ADA accessible.

Even if they do take the C, riders often get off at the next express stop for the A. The C used to terminate at World Trade Center on evenings and weekends and the A made all stops in Brooklyn, but this was changed in 1999 because Fulton residents wanted seven-day express service on their line and believe me, they do because everytime there is a G.O. that requires suspension of the C service and the A to run local, riders will boo any track worker they see.

R46s must've been within the days after the attack [i remember that one photo on NYCsubway], but after that it was only R32s till the (N)/® returned.

The R46s were used on the Q for a couple of weeks after 9/11. I saw one at Sheepshead Bay on September 23 and it was the same train as the one on that http://www.nycsubway.org photo. In fact, if you blow it up, you might be able to see me when I was 12 years old. Shortly afterwards, however, the E and Q had to swap cars because residents along the Brighton Line complained about the same things their ancestors of the 1970s did that resulted in them being pulled off there 25 years earlier (excessive noise pollution and vibration). Of course, this led to more delays and increased dwelling time on the E, particularly along 53rd Street, which was why in the early 1990s, the E had to swap its R46s with the R32s on the G. So to a certain someone out there who has a strange love of obese subway cars, stop daydreaming! R46s will never run on the Brighton Line or E train ever again!

J can't be extended. There isn't enough Eastern Division equipment to do so.
It would use reserve R32's
Well most of the R32's are at the 207th Street Yard, and I highly doubt they are moving on to the Jamaica Line.

It is highly unlikely and practically impossible for the J to be extended into south Brooklyn via the Montague Street Tunnel, because so many other lines already travel between Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn and like Art Vandelay said, they are not enough R160As and R42s to do the job. Even if they use all the spare R32s at 207th Street for this extension, it is not enough, not to mention ENY is already at full capacity and has no room to store or maintain the extra cars.

BRING BACK THE BROWN (M) FOAM!

lolz I am joking.. Still I wish it would come back and run R42's ;)

(M)ario is doing a much better job running via Sixth Avenue and Queens Boulevard than Lower Manhattan and southern Brooklyn. Big Bad Bowser has taken Princess Peach on a different route in the system.

NO R44's Will Return In SERVICE,MTA MADE THAT CLEAR

REASON: R32's Are Getting Their A/C's Fixed - Overhauled at 207th st shop, That's why 3/4 of the fleet is OOS, 207th has been working around the clock fixing the A/C units on their R32's

as for the (A) getting R32's Lets wait until May 1st, I bet you it will stay the same as it is Now

Those 64 R44's will get scrapped

I hope to never see those ugly fatties in service again. If it has not been done already, the R32s air-conditionings should be fixed ASAP. The MTA cannot keep reactivating the R44s every summer until the R179s come in. They were retired early for a reason, they suck! still the biggest failures in NYCS history!

Hopefully, this summer will not be as brutal as 2010. We broke the record of the warmest summer in NYC previously set in 1966 and had 37 days where the temperature reached 90 degrees or higher (including two in April and two or three 100+ degree days), two shy of the record of 39 achieved in 1991 and 1993. that was unbearable.

I agree with bringing back the (W).Make it run from Whitehall to Bay Parkway and rush hrs add 2-4 train sets so they can run to 57th and terminate there for rush hrs.

There are not enough cars to bring back the W, especially once the Second Avenue Subway opens, unless the R211 order has 2000+ cars to replace the R46s and supply the (T) train. Besides, the W is not really needed anymore. It was only kept after the Manhattan Bridge reopened in 2004 because many Astoria customers needed access to Lower Manhattan and the Broadway Local stations. Now they either use the N or wait for the R just a few minutes behind to do that. The N can handle the Astoria Line on its own (it did that prior to 2001), so when the Second Avenue Subway opens, the Q will simply use a new route, but probably keep its R160s since Second Avenue has been entirely NTTs. Even if the W is bought back, it does not need to run into Brooklyn since the R can handle those traveling between Fourth Avenue and Lower Manhattan.

The 44's won't come back because right now no one is willing to take responsibility for declaring those cars fit for service (and rightly so). If that changes, I'm sure it will get leaked here for all the foamers to pleasure themselves to but right now that's the way it is.
check page 7, first person said it would be 15 tph to bay parkway.

I love how foamers react like wild animals over silly things like a particular car type running OOS on a line it usually does not run on (i.e. R160 on Fulton and Central Park West) or in storage at a yard it is not assigned to (i.e. R44s and R32s at Coney Island) and when they post about it on this site, a flame war immediately erupts. This also applies when railfans are so guillible and believe any stupid rumor transit workers and other "qualified" people make.

Didn't the members on this thread explain it clearly or is it not sinking in. The idea of running the (J) express would back up the Jamaica Line, and another thing is the (J), and (Z) only runs together during rush hours. The reason why it would ruin the skip stop service is it you

won't have enough time to relay the trains to run at a certain proximity from each other skip stop service won't be successful, and the (J) won't be an express. It would be all local, and thus it would kill the skip stop service. Unless if you think a (J) train can travel so fast that nothing would happen to threaten the skip stop. Besides what is so important that the service has to come from the Nassau Street Line?, Why not the Broadway Line?. In fact why not from any other BMT/IND line?. They are all capable. They only need enough room, and access to the Montague Street Tunnel to do it.

The J/Z has among the most inconsistent service ever! Skip-stop service runs for only about one hour in one direction and only saves about 3-4 minutes. Though riding the entire J line feels long when it makes all stops, it actually only takes about 52-53 minutes. Having it run express between Myrtle and Marcy Avenues in peak direction is also lame in that it only saves 1-2 minutes while rarely passing by any M local and doubling waiting time for those at the three stations it bypasses. Sometimes, it gets held near Hewes Street to let the M proceed to Marcy Avenue first, effectively killing any time the express run saves.

How would it kill skip-stop? All it takes is a little scheduling, and as I said before, these trains would most likely run reverse peak as far as skip-stop is concerned. Skip-stop is only one hour each rush, which means those trains that go out (if they run them out to SBK in the AM) would not even have the time to recirculate back to Nassau to affect any other skip-stop trains.Now the route being too long I can see, but not the issue of killing skip-stop, unless there is something I do not see.

Extending the J via Montague Street will affect skip-stop service. Why else was it suspended after 9/11 when the J replaced the R in Brooklyn? During that period, the J replaced the A as the system's longest line. The Montague Street Tunnel cannot handle skip-stop J/Z trains running ever four minutes with the R during rush hours. Congestion was common from 1986-2004 when the N had to use it with the M and R to travel between Manhattan and Brooklyn while the Manhattan Bridge was undergoing reconstruction.

Would skip the 2 stops b/w BJ and Myrtle Av. People would not be happy being served by one train. That plus you would likely cause a jam at Myrtle because of the (M) crossing over the switches past the station. Trains on just the local tracks minimizes the congestion.

Actually, the switchover between the Queens-bound local track and the center one is after the junction with the BMT Myrtle Avenue, so having the Z run express from Myrtle Avenue to Broadway Junction during the morning rush would not be that bad. It would not make much of a difference for waiting time at the stations it bypasses because most of them go beyond Broadway Junction, so they would have to wait for the next J train anyway.

I think the purpose of the "swap" would be to make the A express faster and give the C the fat subway cars it really needs (the Fulton and Central Park West local customers need their wide seats to support their obese asses). The R32s run faster than the R46s and look better on the A than the C (the reverse goes for the R46s). I bet whenever an A and C simultaneously leave a station, the C accelerates quicker and leaves the A behind until it reaches the next local station. This happened a lot between an R68 B and R160 Q on the Brighton Line and it will happen every day when the B starts running express in Brooklyn again in October, which is why i will still take the Q and 6 to college. They run more frequently and use better cars than the B and F.

I would love to see R32s on the J and B. Return all 240 R32s on (TA) property to revenue service and put 50 of them on the J in place of the R42s. The R42s should be converted for work service. They are the system's worst cars, so they should do the system's dirtiest jobs. Not to mention their air-conditioning seems to be much better than the R32s, so they would provide a lot of comfort for workers.

Send the rest of the R32s to the B, put its R68s on the A, and make the C entirely R46s. It will be a big upgrade for all three lines. Brighton riders can finally enjoy the system's two best cars, the sleek and shiny R32s and red hot R160s, while the overweight Fulton Street Line gets the system's two fattest cars.

The R46s have always been problematic. That is why there have been recent sightings of R32s on the A. The R46s' breakdown rates have been among the worst in the system as proven by the poor performances of the G, R, and V lines in the past few State of the Subways Reports. Hopefully, G riders, who have suffered with neglected subway cars since 1993, will be very happy to have the R68/68As on their line this summer, although their performances have also declined badly in recent years, causing Brighton riders with a few overweight exceptions who used to love them to hate them now.

The C does not need to be full length. It is usually empty throughout the day because in Manhattan, people usually ride the (1) a block away and in Brooklyn, the B25. There is reason why that bus route has not been cut even though it literally runs right above the C line. Ask any of its operators and they will tell you that the majority of their riders are elderly, disabled, or obese. They will all get heart attacks and strokes from climbing just one flight of stairs like my grandmother almost did on her first and only subway ride in 1996. It just shows you how messed up Fulton Street is. Every time I am in Downtown Brooklyn, a whole bunch of unhealty people come out of the B25 and go for the elevators at Jay Street-MetroTech. None of the stations between there and Euclid Avenue are ADA accessible.

Even if they do take the C, riders often get off at the next express stop for the A. The C used to terminate at World Trade Center on evenings and weekends and the A made all stops in Brooklyn, but this was changed in 1999 because Fulton residents wanted seven-day express service on their line and believe me, they do because everytime there is a G.O. that requires suspension of the C service and the A to run local, riders will boo any track worker they see.

The R46s were used on the Q for a couple of weeks after 9/11. I saw one at Sheepshead Bay on September 23 and it was the same train as the one on that http://www.nycsubway.org photo. In fact, if you blow it up, you might be able to see me when I was 12 years old. Shortly afterwards, however, the E and Q had to swap cars because residents along the Brighton Line complained about the same things their ancestors of the 1970s did that resulted in them being pulled off there 25 years earlier (excessive noise pollution and vibration). Of course, this led to more delays and increased dwelling time on the E, particularly along 53rd Street, which was why in the early 1990s, the E had to swap its R46s with the R32s on the G. So to a certain someone out there who has a strange love of obese subway cars, stop daydreaming! R46s will never run on the Brighton Line or E train ever again!

It is highly unlikely and practically impossible for the J to be extended into south Brooklyn via the Montague Street Tunnel, because so many other lines already travel between Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn and like Art Vandelay said, they are not enough R160As and R42s to do the job. Even if they use all the spare R32s at 207th Street for this extension, it is not enough, not to mention ENY is already at full capacity and has no room to store or maintain the extra cars.

(M)ario is doing a much better job running via Sixth Avenue and Queens Boulevard than Lower Manhattan and southern Brooklyn. Big Bad Bowser has taken Princess Peach on a different route in the system.

I hope to never see those ugly fatties in service again. If it has not been done already, the R32s air-conditionings should be fixed ASAP. The MTA cannot keep reactivating the R44s every summer until the R179s come in. They were retired early for a reason, they suck! still the biggest failures in NYCS history!

Hopefully, this summer will not be as brutal as 2010. We broke the record of the warmest summer in NYC previously set in 1966 and had 37 days where the temperature reached 90 degrees or higher (including two in April and two or three 100+ degree days), two shy of the record of 39 achieved in 1991 and 1993. that was unbearable.

There are not enough cars to bring back the W, especially once the Second Avenue Subway opens, unless the R211 order has 2000+ cars to replace the R46s and supply the (T) train. Besides, the W is not really needed anymore. It was only kept after the Manhattan Bridge reopened in 2004 because many Astoria customers needed access to Lower Manhattan and the Broadway Local stations. Now they either use the N or wait for the R just a few minutes behind to do that. The N can handle the Astoria Line on its own (it did that prior to 2001), so when the Second Avenue Subway opens, the Q will simply use a new route, but probably keep its R160s since Second Avenue has been entirely NTTs. Even if the W is bought back, it does not need to run into Brooklyn since the R can handle those traveling between Fourth Avenue and Lower Manhattan.

I love how foamers react like wild animals over silly things like a particular car type running OOS on a line it usually does not run on (i.e. R160 on Fulton and Central Park West) or in storage at a yard it is not assigned to (i.e. R44s and R32s at Coney Island) and when they post about it on this site, a flame war immediately erupts. This also applies when railfans are so guillible and believe any stupid rumor transit workers and other "qualified" people make.

The J/Z has among the most inconsistent service ever! Skip-stop service runs for only about one hour in one direction and only saves about 3-4 minutes. Though riding the entire J line feels long when it makes all stops, it actually only takes about 52-53 minutes. Having it run express between Myrtle and Marcy Avenues in peak direction is also lame in that it only saves 1-2 minutes while rarely passing by any M local and doubling waiting time for those at the three stations it bypasses. Sometimes, it gets held near Hewes Street to let the M proceed to Marcy Avenue first, effectively killing any time the express run saves.

Extending the J via Montague Street will affect skip-stop service. Why else was it suspended after 9/11 when the J replaced the R in Brooklyn? During that period, the J replaced the A as the system's longest line. The Montague Street Tunnel cannot handle skip-stop J/Z trains running ever four minutes with the R during rush hours. Congestion was common from 1986-2004 when the N had to use it with the M and R to travel between Manhattan and Brooklyn while the Manhattan Bridge was undergoing reconstruction.

Actually, the switchover between the Queens-bound local track and the center one is after the junction with the BMT Myrtle Avenue, so having the Z run express from Myrtle Avenue to Broadway Junction during the morning rush would not be that bad. It would not make much of a difference for waiting time at the stations it bypasses because most of them go beyond Broadway Junction, so they would have to wait for the next J train anyway.

Never in my time on this board have I ever heard that much crap and a single post. Obese riders? What makes you think they are? My mother uses it every day to get to work and last time I checked, she isn't obese. My brothe uses it to get to school and he isn't obese. I even use it once in a while and last time I checked, I was far from obese. I noticed something about you; you sure do love talking about fat people a lot.

Like it or not, the R46s are gonna still be here. No matter how "fat", "chubby", or "obese" they are, they still get the job done so get used to it

To quote one of my favorite lines in the movie Next Friday: "fat b*****s need love too"

Why do you hate fat people?. There are successful, and nice fat people. Obviously they all don't want to be fat, but something bad happened in their life, or they just don't look good, but that doesn't mean they are evil people. If you offend fat people then you are obviously offending my brother which is overweight, or one of my favorite singers of all time Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole. Just, because they are overweight doesn't mean you can take advantage of them.

All the (R) needs is an increase in service, and headways, and the problem would be solved. Maybe you can have some (R) trains terminate at the Ninth Avenue Station during rush hours. This is obviously the cheapest option, and would eliminate any reincarnation of the (W), or a (Mx), or anything from Nassau Street which would require new services.

" Even if they use all the spare R32s at 207th Street for this extension, it is not enough,"

Lolwut? There are more than 80 R32 spares (120 IIRC). Put them next to the R160's and R46's currently in service and you have even enough R32 spares still left for a (W)-line and for extra service on the (G).

What a crap, just like the rest of your post.

I agree. the Broadway Line has plagued with horrible, irregular train runs ever since those June service cuts went into effect. The only good thing that came out of it was the Q becoming entirely R160s. I do not get what is the point of having it run express if it always gets held for 5+ minutes at the DeKalb Avenue, 34th Street, and Prince Street junctions to let the N or R local behind it proceed first. This effectively kills any time the express run saves. The N should run express with the Q at all times except late nights to reduce delays and keep service consistent. The R can handle the Broadway Local by itself. People have a crazy obsession over riding express trains even when they practically save no time. Every time I wait for the Q at 14th Street-Union Square to go home from Hunter College, when an N or R arrives, dozens of people run out to the other side of the platform to see if there is a Q coming. If there is not, they will attempt to run back to their train and most of them do not make it. If Astoria customers need Broadway Local service, the N should run via the Montague Street Tunnel at all times to avoid conflict with the Q on the Manhattan Bridge.

The B train is even worse. During my two semesters at John Jay College, my commute took 10 minutes longer than expected because my train gets held between DeKalb Avenue and the Manhattan Bridge to let the D train go through, then it gets held somewhere along Sixth Avenue because that D train is being held at Seventh Avenue-53rd Street to let the A stop at 59th Street-Columbus Circle. Finally, right before curving into 59th Street, my train gets held one more time to let the C proceed.

2lm2ssj.jpg

By making that post I'm sure you offended some people.Not me though but what you said was wrong.Me honestly taking the (C) everyday from school or and to school I don't really notice overweight people.And I'm not obese I'm rather a skinny person:p for my age.And of course the (C) would beat the (A) for acceleration wise not b\c the Budds are lightweight they kind of get a head start from the 8 car so by time they reach 10 car they're already going 10mph+.The R-46's take a while get going but once they get going they haul samething with the R-68/A once they get going they're like unstoppable.:cool:

All the (R) needs is an increase in service, and headways, and the problem would be solved. Maybe you can have some (R) trains terminate at the Ninth Avenue Station during rush hours. This is obviously the cheapest option, and would eliminate any reincarnation of the (W), or a (Mx), or anything from Nassau Street which would require new services.

Funny thing is that you said bringing the (W) back would be the cheapest option a few posts ago

Wouldn't it 'cause more delays to have more trains on the (R)? I mean in the Montague Street Tunnel. (just asking out of curiosity)

Doubt it since the (M) used to run down there and there was no delays from what I remember, only @ 36th Street which wouldn't be a issue this time around.

Either way - as I said earlier, unless the (4)(5) is bursting at the seems and the (R) isn't enough, I don't see what the point of having the (W) go past Whitehall just to fill the void of the (Mx) is. Unless people are going to LM, they are likely going to transfer to the (D)(N) across the platform for the express and to get to the 'northern part' of LM.

You tell me. Is service really that bad on the (R) where people can't breathe? All this nonsense about extending the (W) is for no other than because you want to. So give it a rest already. People would be happy with just the (W) from Astoria to Whitehall. Maybe give the (R) 1-2 more trains, but other than that, why bother to extend the (W)?

You tell me. Is service really that bad on the (R) where people can't breathe? All this nonsense about extending the (W) is for no other than because you want to. So give it a rest already. People would be happy with just the (W) from Astoria to Whitehall. Maybe give the (R) 1-2 more trains, but other than that, why bother to extend the (W)?

Indeed. Just add 1-2 more trains on the (R) and make the (W) go to Whitehall. People can transfer there.

Do Us All A Favor Please STOP With The Bullshit Already. You have no right to make fun of fat people and you don't even know the subway that much to claim that the switch needs to happen.

Do Us All A Favor Please STOP With The Bullshit Already. You have no right to make fun of fat people and you don't even know the subway that much to claim that the switch needs to happen.

I like me some text in a increased font, really points out something. But to me it is plain annoying.

You must have had alot of time to type all that..

Archived