The New Assignments...

dmouse

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(M)ario is doing a much better job running via Sixth Avenue and Queens Boulevard than Lower Manhattan and southern Brooklyn. Big Bad Bowser has taken Princess Peach on a different route in the system.

Thank you Mario! But the Princess is in another borough!

Yes, and many of those cars are in reserve, and would thus be put back into service.

That was a mistake. I had meant 4 ninute headway, not 4 tph. The tight headway was to make up for the lack of skip stop as far as providing the same level of service as the (J) and (Z).

I'm wondering, in order to partially make up for the time saving of skip stop, if they could designate every other train as circle and diamond, and the diamonds would run express from BWJ to BWM. All then would run express afterward, and to SBK. Don't know if that would lead to everyone waiting for the diamonds, but maybe not. Still, it would be beneficial to some.

But wouldn't 4-minute headways be overkill for the stops south of Broad Street? The (D) and (R) trains (which an extended (J) or (Z) would share tracks with) don't even run that frequently. Maybe have half the (J)/(Z) trains continue to terminate at Broad. Though it would be good to put that middle track between Broadway Jct and Broadway/Myrtle to good use by having a peak express service.

The (D)(R) don't stop at Broad Street.

From my nearly 33 years of riding the subway, I know the (D) and (R) trains don't stop at Broad Street - although there was a time in the early 80s (1982, I believe) when both did, but not at the same time. You had the rush-hour <RR> service from Chambers to 95th Street and, in one of the most unusual reroutings ever, the (D) used the Chrystie Street connection on weekends to access Essex Street, proceeded onto the Williamsburg Bridge, then reversed direction to continue non-stop to Brooklyn via the Montague Tunnel. There's more info about that here

Read my edited post. A (J) service on 4-minute headways would share tracks with the (R) from the Montague Tunnel to 36th Street and with the (D) from 36th Street to Bay Parkway. Both do not currently run on 4-minute headways, so the extended (J) service in question would run more frequently than either the (D) or (R) trains. I believe the (D) and (R) trains would still have much higher ridership. That's why I questioned if it would be necessary to extend the (J) to south Brooklyn on 4-minute headways. But by terminating half of those (J)'s at Broad, you'd be running that extended (J) service on 8-minute headways, which I think is more appropriate for the ridership from south Brooklyn to Lower Manhattan via Nassau St. I propose retaining the letter (Z) for the extended trains and that the (Z) run express between Broadway Junction and Essex St and that the (J) run local between those two stations. That would allow service to/from Lower Manhattan to be readily available at all times at Flushing Ave, Lorimer and Hewes. With both (J) and (Z) trains on 8-minute headways, that should not be a problem.

Not that I expect any of this to happen, but you never know. Like Eric B said, who expected the (Mx)/(V) combo to happen?

What planet are you on T to Dyre Avenue?. The (J), and (Z) stops at Broad Street.

Um, I live on this planet, Roadcruiser1. What, you really think I've never looked at a subway map? Come on, now! B)

To Flushing Express: just because u look like a stick figure, tooth pick or a bed bug doesn't mean u have the right to go around and call people fat, or talk about how fat they are. I'm fat myself. And? what u gonna do about that? Not a damn thing. U r not definitely not perfect than anyone. Ok drama queen? Enough of ur crap. If u don't like anybody on here, get the hell off the forum site and go bitch and complain somewhere else. U think ur little "Ms.Perfect", but ur not. Ur so ignorant. I swear ppl like u shouldn't even be around people if ur gonna be so damn bitchy all the time. Get a life. Be nice for once and stop being such a drama queen. :tdown:

(Sorry Harry, but someone had to put him in his place. Anybody agree?)

Once again no. The only thing the Fourth Avenue Line needs is an increase in (R) service, and thats it. At most a reincarnated (W) from Astoria Ditmars Bouelvard to Bay Parkway, but nothing else, and does every line need access to the Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue station. If people want it so badly then transfer.

But wouldn't 4-minute headways be overkill for the stops south of Broad Street? The (D) and (R) trains (which an extended (J) or (Z) would share tracks with) don't even run that frequently. Maybe have half the (J)/(Z) trains continue to terminate at Broad. Though it would be good to put that middle track between Broadway Jct and Broadway/Myrtle to good use by having a peak express service.
I myself wondered about it being overkill. There weren't any details, just a basic premise they were appatrently considering. Again, I would think they would just start a new banker's special, though it would have to continue to ENYD instead of Chambers. But then most TT's or RJ's had done something like that anyway.

Once again what is so special about Nassau Street that it needs South Brooklyn service?. The (Mx) was barely every crowded. Face the fact that almost no one in South Brooklyn wants to go to Nassau Street. Most riders want to go to Midtown. Maybe an increase in the (R) trains by having more trains come out of the yards, or a reincarnated (W) that runs weekdays from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Bay Parkway would do a better job. Besides any change to the current Nassau Street services ((J), (Z)) would kill the skip stop service, and I have explained that a freaking 1,000 times.

That's what I had thought, but apparently, somewhere, someone must see some sort of possible need for it. Perhaps, whatever few people rode through there made a difference when they piled back onto the IRT. The tight headway was to make up for loss of skip-stop.

and does every line need access to the Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue station. If people want it so badly then transfer.

That, and if there was so much demand for a 1-seat ride, then the (MTA) would've already done it. The fact that they didn't do it proves that people don't care about making 1 or 2 transfers.

Once again what is so special about Nassau Street that it needs South Brooklyn service?. The (Mx) was barely every crowded. Face the fact that almost no one in South Brooklyn wants to go to Nassau Street. Most riders want to go to Midtown. Maybe an increase in the (R) trains by having more trains come out of the yards, or a reincarnated (W) that runs weekdays from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Bay Parkway would do a better job. Besides any change to the current Nassau Street services ((J), (Z)) would kill the skip stop service, and I have explained that a freaking 1,000 times.

The (R) has to share track with the (N), (Q), & (M) trains, leaving very little room for increased headways right now.

So looking at the last few pages briefly all hell broke loose on this thread right? I also like how some went from foaming over subway cars to car assignments like it really matters which fleet ends up where.

Par for the course. Typical railfan bulls***

Guest lance25

That depends on how many trains per hour the (MTA) wants to send up to 96 St/2 Av. The Lefferts/Rockaways branching works there since roughly half of the Queens-bound (A) trains (5 or 6 out of 12 according to the schedule) go to either Far Rockaway or Lefferts Blvd. If the (MTA) can send enough trains to both Ditmars and up Second Avenue to meet demand, then sure, by all means, branch the line, but if they can't, they will have to bring back the (W) as the (N) can't handle the crowds along the Astoria line by itself on weekdays.

Who says when the (Q) gets sent up to 2nd Av the (W) will come back? An easier solution for the MTA would be to split the (Q) terminals in two; like one train to Astoria, and one train to 2nd Av?; like the (A) to Mott or Lefferts.

The smart money would be on the (W) coming back once the 2nd Ave subway opens. Can you imagine the MTA running only half a (Q) service to 96th and 2nd? After all the years of proposals, false starts, financial crises, fighting off NIMBYs, inconveniencing merchants, etc? They'll never hear the end of it.

Running only half a (Q) service to 2nd Ave will get far fewer Lexington Ave and M15 riders to switch to that (Q). The only way a split-(Q) train can offer acceptable rush hour headways to both Astoria and the UES is if (Q)'s run 20 tph or more from 57th Street south. That ain't gonna happen.

Instead of bringing back the (W), they could just send the (N) through Montague, effectively imitating the old (W) and the 1990s service pattern. (N) riders who want to avoid Lower Manhattan could just switch to the (Q) at DeKalb for Broadway Express service over the bridge. Theoretically, it would be cheaper than resurrecting the (W), and if current service patterns remain, shouldn't cause much delay in the tunnel or north of Pacific, and would actually make the (Q) less delay-prone.

Archived