MNRR/LIRR Short & Long Term Plans and Proposals-now & 2050

Nexis4Jersey

My New Realigned Regional Connector ....

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215312482559953359515.000496c9cdea77cff2ae1&msa=0&ll=40.750378,-73.916702&spn=0.351117,0.837021

Regional Connector 

Hillburn

East Suffern

Airmont

Nanuet 

West Nyack

South Nyack 

Tarrytown East 

Elmsford 

White Plains Central

East White Plains 

Purchase 

Rye

Harrison

​Mamaroneck

Larchmont 

New Rochelle 

South Rochelle

Orchard Beach-City Island

Co-Op City

Morris Park

Parkchester

Hunt's Point 

Northern Boulvard - Woodside
Queens Boulevard - Elmhurst
Ridgewood
East New York
Canarsie 
Flatbush Ave 
Ocean Parkway
Bay Ridge
St. George
Bayonne
Port Elizabeth
Midtown Elizabeth
Elmora

Cranford
Garwood
Westfield
Fanwood
Netherwood
Plainfield
Dunellen 
Bound Brook 
Raritan

Northern Connector Western Link

Hillburn

East Suffern

Airmont

Nanuet 

West Nyack

South Nyack 

Tarrytown East 

Elmsford 

White Plains Transit 

East White Plains 

Purchase 

Rye

Harrison

​Mamaroneck

Larchmont 

New Rochelle 

South Rochelle

Orchard Beach-City Island

Co-Op City

Morris Park

Parkchester

Hunt's Point 

Northern Boulvard - Woodside
Queens Boulevard - Elmhurst

Forest Hills 

Kew Gardens

Jamaica 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why can't there be a set of Metro North cars that have the color green?

I guess it would not make sense to give us some Metro North Cars that can be colored green. To me its like..less confusion. I mean, look at the subway map. The Connecticut lines are red, as well as some m1/m2/m3/m4/m8 cars.

The Harlem Line is blue, as are some of their rail cars. Why can't there be green ones? Lol :/

I meant green cars can go on the Hudson Line..

You would need to have an entire fleet dedicated to just one line. The complexities of staging consists at Grand Central is difficult enough between Harlem/Hudson & New Haven, throwing another stipulation into the mix is madness.

• 3 months later...

How about a line that could help development in Suffolk?

I propose the *new* Sag Harbor Branch. Trains will only run on this stretch so you need to transfer it you want to go to Penn or Ronkonkoma due to the lenght of the branch (Greenport to Ronkonkoma is long enough already, let alone Penn).

The routing, including its stops (stops are the things not between dashes-):

Greenport

-----bridge to Shelter Island-----

Shelter Island Heights (station will be built east of Clinton Ave)

[optional] Westmoreland (station will be built near the airport)

[optional] Fresh Pond (station will be built east of Fresh Pond lake)

-----bridge to North Haven-------

North Haven (station will be built at the intersection of Route 60 and 114 where 60 turns into 114)

-----bridge along Ferry Road/Route 114 to Sag Harbor

Sag Harbor (using or not using the old station)

South Noyack (station will be built near St Andrews cemetery and S Rd)

Bridgehamption

>>using the Montauk branch<<

Southampton

How about a line that could help development in Suffolk?

I propose the *new* Sag Harbor Branch. Trains will only run on this stretch so you need to transfer it you want to go to Penn or Ronkonkoma due to the lenght of the branch (Greenport to Ronkonkoma is long enough already, let alone Penn).

The routing, including its stops (stops are the things not between dashes-):

Greenport

-----bridge to Shelter Island-----

Shelter Island Heights (station will be built east of Clinton Ave)

[optional] Westmoreland (station will be built near the airport)

[optional] Fresh Pond (station will be built east of Fresh Pond lake)

-----bridge to North Haven-------

North Haven (station will be built at the intersection of Route 60 and 114 where 60 turns into 114)

-----bridge along Ferry Road/Route 114 to Sag Harbor

Sag Harbor (using or not using the old station)

South Noyack (station will be built near St Andrews cemetery and S Rd)

Bridgehamption

>>using the Montauk branch<<

Southampton

Shelter island is dead you know. You sure this would work.

Alright, you could also drop the station Shelter Island. Does it matter? Fact is that the main focus in my proposal is connecting Greenport (northern eastern end of LIRR) with stations south AND reconnect Sag Harbor along with it. Sag Harbor has grown quite a bit since they removed the original branch so...

It would help out the grown Sag Harbor and Greenport would also benefit from it, which is also growing btw hence the fact that LIRR isn't allowed to close Ron-Green. It could bring housing projects to areas in between in this line and therefore help out develop Suffolk.

• 1 year later...

I know this is old, but this is listed as official.

This should not be thought of as necropsting.

I would reextend the Port Jefferson Branch to Wading River and electrify the branch to Port Jefferson. I would reopen the Central Branch for service. Reopen Woodhaven station service on the Atlantic Branch. Use two of the four tracks on the Rockaway Beach ROW south of Atlantic Avenue for LIRR service to JFK airport. Complete Main Line third track project. Reopen Lower Montauk service with high level platforms.

All service in CTZ with the exception of Belmont Park and Far Rockaway should be $3.00.

I know this is old, but this is listed as official.

This should not be thought of as necropsting.

I would reextend the Port Jefferson Branch to Wading River and electrify the branch to Port Jefferson. I would reopen the Central Branch for service. Reopen Woodhaven station service on the Atlantic Branch. Use two of the four tracks on the Rockaway Beach ROW south of Atlantic Avenue for LIRR service to JFK airport. Complete Main Line third track project. Reopen Lower Montauk service with high level platforms.

All service in CTZ with the exception of Belmont Park and Far Rockaway should be $3.00.

I wouldn't see an electrified extension from Huntington to Port Jeff due to the high grades it climbs (it had that look from Syosset to CSH from a video of LIRR cab ride that I had) and that ridiculously long span bridge it crosses (forgot where)

I wouldn't see an electrified extension from Huntington to Port Jeff due to the high grades it climbs (it had that look from Syosset to CSH from a video of LIRR cab ride that I had) and that ridiculously long span bridge it crosses (forgot where)

I think that long span bridge you're talking about is on the Port Washington line. When I rode the Port Jeff I don't recall a long span bridge.

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?105225

how would the grade affect it?

• 2 months later...

Electric engines are much better at climbing hills because they deliver more torque than a diesel engine. Also, it's been planned since at least the '80s to extend electrification to Port Jeff, and the line has been designed for it (and also future double-tracking).

Would it be worth it to run double track down the Central Branch and add stations at the old South Farmingdale station and a North Lindenhurst station at the intersection with CR 2?

I think that long span bridge you're talking about is on the Port Washington line. When I rode the Port Jeff I don't recall a long span bridge.

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?105225

Actually, there is a span bridge on the Port Jeff line, but it's not terribly long. It crosses the Nissequogue River between Kings Park and Smithtown. I believe that's what 46Dover is referring to. 

Here's a picture of it: https://flic.kr/p/nC27EX

And here it is on Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.858332,-73.212255,3a,75y,224.2h,83.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4CtfxH4oo0vHhuQ9XTEBXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

However, I don't think the bridge would be an impediment to electrification. As mentioned, the LIRR has planned to electrify the Port Jeff line for decades, and they've already kind-of prepared for it in the 1980s by putting in new sidings and giving the stations on the line full 12-car platforms (very much unlike the other diesel branches, which were arguably screwed over with short platforms when the stations were converted to high level platforms, but that's another topic)

Here's a nice article from 1986 about delaying electrification on the line: http://www.nytimes.com/1986/02/23/nyregion/lirr-electrification-new-delays-new-plans.html

Gotta love how the dual-modes were sold as "pretty much the same as electrification". Yes, all 2 round-trips a day straight to Penn Station... 

• 3 weeks later...

Not a fan of the proposal to extend Danbury Branch service to New Milford? Granted, it hasn't made much progress. 

There's no particular reason it couldn't be done outside the scope of the plan, but the Maybrook Line partial reactivation does two things; it gives trains to Wassaic a path to Penn Station (and prevents them from taking up slots at GCT when that becomes full). The Maybrook Line is also already used by Metro-North trains, so adapting it wouldn't be too bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have an idea if lirr is chosen for rockaway beach branch activation, cause we don't need another damn highline i'd say a DEMU(diesel/electric multiple unit) service simlar to the toronto airport service with 3 stops from new york penn station  NYP is 1  woodside is 2 and then it runs nonstop to JFK airport. but since it's a subway method i'll cover it in the subway proposal thread

• 5 months later...
  • Lance unpinned this topic

Archived