MNRR/LIRR Short & Long Term Plans and Proposals-now & 2050

Nexis4Jersey

The Cheapest and fastest ways in increase commuter service on Long Island is to have a GO type system where both Trains and buses are used for commuter service. Have off peak bus service using the branches with less ridership, Either running this service direct to the city or run up to the main line to connect with train runs. Also this service can be contracted out to either Hampton Jitney, Coach USA , Veolia, First Transit or Academy. Also LIRR needs to at least double its DM powered fleet to help with better peak one seat rides from all branches into the city. Also DM fleet will also help in winter weather protecting service on lines when the EMU's stall out.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You showing that "We're gonna do this, It's gonna be great and everyone's gonna love it" addiuted again. The LIRR is NOT the answer to every transportation problem. Heck, trains in general are not always the answer.

You thinking in the mind of someone who likes trains. When you start drawing up these ideas, you're not putting yourself in the shoes of the average joe who might not want a light rail line on his street, or who doesn't want to run the risk of what a rail connection to SI might bring in terms of people. They're the ones you need to please, they're the ones you need to watch out for. People don't sue to encourch construction they sue to stop it.

Then there are considerations about the current system you're leaving out. You've comepletly ignored about a half dozen logistical questions, most important of which is how the rest of the system will cope with the strain of new lines and increased service. where will you store and repair the extra trains the system is gonna need?

There is just no sign of actual though when I read these proposels. I was fliping through you're beloved transportpolitic once and came across a moron who was complaing about how NYP and GCT should have been built next to each other. And this dope claimed he was an expert. He decided to think only in terms of modern urban planing, and ignore one of the greats rivalries between two corporations in history.

You have to consider that, as the price of fuel (and the general cost of driving) goes up, people may be more willing to accept these rail lines. You also have to consider that this isn't just a regular subway line that anybody of the street can ride: It is an expensive commuter line that runs too infrequently for a lower-class person to relocate there based on the proximity to the rail line.

Why is this thread a sticky? It's fantasy plans!

As for east of KO, what the MTA should do if it wants to boost ridership without enormous expense is cut service east of Riverhead except summer weekends and run bi-hourly shuttles west of Riverhead 7 days a week.

It would be best an (N) extension. Or a LaGuardia Aiport (S) that travels underground from Mets Willets Point to Astoria Ditmars Boulevard. Anyway if we want to electrify the LIRR lines quickly you could use overhead catenary. I think overhead catenary is cheaper then third rail, and you can build a lot of overhead catenarys in a short time.

I still prefer my own idea:

Dunno what you guys think of my idea for the Greenport Branch, but anyways.

The Greenport Branch doesn't operate atm 'cause of low riderships, as we all know. Operation starts again in a few months.

What if they expanded service by extending the line by either of the following:

1 via East Marion to Orient Point

2 via a bridge to Shelter Island?

There are quite some people living at 1 and 2, so that would create a new impulse for the Greenport-branch.

It would be best an (N) extension. Or a LaGuardia Aiport (S) that travels underground from Mets Willets Point to Astoria Ditmars Boulevard. Anyway if we want to electrify the LIRR lines quickly you could use overhead catenary. I think overhead catenary is cheaper then third rail, and you can build a lot of overhead catenarys in a short time.

3rd Rail is cheaper then Overhead...

The cost of having to buy M8s or some other car with similar functionality, then for the LIRR would outweigh any price advantage the cantenary wires would have here.

The cost of having to buy M8s or some other car with similar functionality, then for the LIRR would outweigh any price advantage the cantenary wires would have here.

BINGO.

All major system rehabs, expansions and rolling stock purchases are performed with the status quo as the single biggest mindset for any transportation provider. In other words, electrifying a line or a branch or expanding service into a new territory will not employ infrastructure that will also require the procurement of railcars inasmuch as new cars will not be purchased that will requirement major system modifications. These days, it's not even logical for certain equipment to remain exclusive to certain parts of a commuter system, if at all possible, as it greatly cuts down on operating and service flexibility while causing increases in operating and maintenance costs.

And yes, third rail is cheaper than overhead catenary to install, especially for a system that doesn't currently operate on catenary whatsoever.

• 3 weeks later...

New York

Long Island Railroad

Projects to be completed by 2020

Helena Williams resignation or Firing

Signal Upgrades

Track Replacement

Switch Upgrades

Electrification of Central Branch

Electrification of the Port Jefferson Branch

Electrification of the Montauk Branch

Third Tracking of the Main line

East Side Access to Grand Central Terminal

Double Tracking of parts of the Ronkonkoma line

M9 Rail car

Equal Outbound / Inbound Services

Large Scale Railway Projects

Project : Restoration of the Full Hempstead line

Number of lines : 1

Stations : 4

Projected Ridership : 30,000

Project : Restoration of the Wading River Branch

Stations : 3

Projected Ridership : 12,000

Project : Restoration of the Sunset Park line

Stations : 11

Projected Ridership : 60,000

Project : LIRR Core line

Stations : 17

Projected Ridership : 110,000

Project : LIRR East Side Access

Number of lines : 11

Stations : 1

Projected Ridership : 120,000

Current system...

LIRR

Daily Ridership : 341,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 570,000+)

System size : 700+ mi

Stations : 124

full restoration of the central branch I believe is very highly unlikely. First obsticle is Eisenhower Park, the environmentalists are not going to let anyone build a rail line through a county park like that. If you manage to get through that you have to get it through levittown, and bethpage. I would say a nice big parking garage in Bethpage, Wantagh, and Hicksville stations would work just as good and be cheaper to do.

If you mean connecting the hempstead and west hempstead branches, it might be doable but i dont see the purpose. I dont see it realistically improving service on either line.

The third track is one of the most essential items, but it may never get done. Floral Park and Hempstead held huge lobbies to get it removed from the capital program, and there were huge celebrations when it was removed.

But when ESA is built and there are 15 minute delays every day, I think that it will come back for the 2015-2019 capital program. Whether it will be built before 2022 is a question. By that time, Farmingdale-KO double tracking will be done (ROW already wide enough).

"If you mean connecting the hempstead and west hempstead branches, it might be doable but i dont see the purpose. I dont see it realistically improving service on either line."

Might be doable? Most of the old tracks are still in place, so it is doable. Improved service is another story, but it is doable.

That is certainly true. But you also know what electrification costs? A LOT. Or to put it better: A LOT that the (MTA) DOESN"T have. So unless you win the jackpot a couple of times and donate that to the (MTA) for this, it's not gonna happen.

The third track is one of the most essential items, but it may never get done. Floral Park and Hempstead held huge lobbies to get it removed from the capital program, and there were huge celebrations when it was removed.

But when ESA is built and there are 15 minute delays every day, I think that it will come back for the 2015-2019 capital program. Whether it will be built before 2022 is a question. By that time, Farmingdale-KO double tracking will be done (ROW already wide enough).

What about a sliding '3' track on the main line? It works quiet well on the Pasack Valley Line of MNRR/NJT. Not sure it will work on a coordior that 2x as busy as that Bergen/Rockland route.:confused:

3 track? PW branch is getting a new track above Great Neck for ESA. PW branch is the only branch to get ESA btw. All other branches will terminate at Penn. At least, that is what the LIRR says in their newest video on YouTube (see the ESA construction thread in this subforum).

What about a sliding '3' track on the main line? It works quiet well on the Pasack Valley Line of MNRR/NJT. Not sure it will work on a coordior that 2x as busy as that Bergen/Rockland route.:confused:

Sidings won't help. The MTA should install the third track, plain and simple. If that means keeping old cars around a while longer, or putting off other capital projects like the Jamaica Reconfiguration, Cross-Borough Scoot, Oyster Bay siding, or Massapequa pocket track, so be it. The Main Line is the key corridor and must be improved.

Old cars don't matter. The oldest cars are the M3's and even they can go on for another 10 years.

But the Jamaica Reconfiguration shouldn't be pulled. That is REALLY needed.

I don't like the idea of a Brooklyn-Jamaica shuttle and ending most through service.

Jamaica is a bottleneck, sure. But this main line will be even more of a bottleneck!

Archived