MNRR/LIRR Short & Long Term Plans and Proposals-now & 2050

Nexis4Jersey

LIRR already has bi-levels and the M7's are good enough, so no need for Comet V's.

These are the bi-levels LIRR has and uses daily (on quite some branches, actually):

lirr.jpg

LI-OysterBayBrTrain_2005.jpg

And those locs are diesel, some of them are even diesel+electric so they can get into Penn Station.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LIRR already has bi-levels and the M7's are good enough, so no need for Comet V's.

These are the bi-levels LIRR has and uses daily (on quite some branches, actually):

lirr.jpg

And those locs are diesel, some of them are even diesel+electric so they can get into Penn Station.

Little late there. I know they do. The infamous C3. NJT Bi-Levels are more spacious too.

About the P32s, I was saying diesel electric, just in case you all were gonna hate about the P32s not being capable of 3rd rail travel.

These are all long term proposals.

Actually, the C3's are more Spacious and Roomy in feel, and the Air Flows pretty nice through. The only annoying thing about the C3's is it makes me feel like I am in a Dentist Office.

As for your points trainguy, the LIRR should get a more widely used Locomotive when they replace the DE/DM30's, and a more widely used Bi-Level Coach when they replace the C3's, it's impractical and costly to run a system when the equiptment is basically specially designed for the railroad...

Actually, the C3's are more Spacious and Roomy in feel, and the Air Flows pretty nice through. The only annoying thing about the C3's is it makes me feel like I am in a Dentist Office.

As for your points trainguy, the LIRR should get a more widely used Locomotive when they replace the DE/DM30's, and a more widely used Bi-Level Coach when they replace the C3's, it's impractical and costly to run a system when the equiptment is basically specially designed for the railroad...

Are we talking something like a high-speed, or diesel, or an electric?

Are we talking something like a high-speed, or diesel, or an electric?

High Speed, we can forget about it until Long Island Railroad could have four tracks on every portion of the system, we know this isn't happening soon.

I am talking more like LIRR's Diesel and Bi-Level fleet, the M3's and M7's are generally fine since those are used on both the LIRR and MNR.

High Speed, we can forget about it until Long Island Railroad could have four tracks on every portion of the system, we know this isn't happening soon.

I am talking more like LIRR's Diesel and Bi-Level fleet, the M3's and M7's are generally fine since those are used on both the LIRR and MNR.

As the population grows, they are gonna have to figure out. You know the motto: Can't build out, build up. We are talking something like High-Speed Bi-Levels here. There are none of them in existence, every one is diesel, or uses the power car in the way back.

As the population grows, they are gonna have to figure out. You know the motto: Can't build out, build up. We are talking something like High-Speed Bi-Levels here. There are none of them in existence, every one is diesel, or uses the power car in the way back.

Well, if the US Government and Local Politicians can understand the concept of a good public transportation system supported by up-to-date infrastructure system, then yeah or if not... Keep dreaming... Unfortunately...

riverdale15.jpg

My question is why an Amtrak Train in carrying a Comet V.

Government does not really look at this transportation stuff. The only thing that I have heard about from them is this new high-speed rail thing.

Acela sucks... hand down. It only saves like 20-30 mins from NY-DC. The US needs the shinkansen Japan has...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JR_East_Shinkansen_lineup_at_Niigata_Depot_200910.jpg

Its not! That is a Amtrak Horizon car, most likely a food service car.

http://en.wikipedia....orizon_(railcar)

I knew those weren't Comet Vs, cause Amtrak don't got any. Thanks for clarifying.

They look really similar...

@trainguy97 I like our diesels looks but I never rode them so I don't know how they run

They are decent, and pretty workable for the time being if you ask me.

Well, if the US Government and Local Politicians can understand the concept of a good public transportation system supported by up-to-date infrastructure system, then yeah or if not... Keep dreaming... Unfortunately...

LOL. Well, let me tell you this: there are more public transportation systems in the world that use an old infrastructure system.

Here in The Netherlands, for example. It even made 2 train crashes in the last 2 weeks (one of them causing even death to a few people and others heavily wounded) 'cause our own crappy infrastructure was failing.

And Belgium, their infrastructure is from the 30's with no security system on the tracks themselve at all.

France is also lacking a lot.

And there are many more...

Government does not really look at this transportation stuff. The only thing that I have heard about from them is this new high-speed rail thing.

I thought they were building a high-speed line from Las Vegas (or somewhere around there) to California? Or is that a non-Amtrak-project?

I thought they were building a high-speed line from Las Vegas (or somewhere around there) to California? Or is that a non-Amtrak-project?

Non Amtrak project chief. Please read fully before you post next time.

LOL. Well, let me tell you this: there are more public transportation systems in the world that use an old infrastructure system.

Here in The Netherlands, for example. It even made 2 train crashes in the last 2 weeks (one of them causing even death to a few people and others heavily wounded) 'cause our own crappy infrastructure was failing.

And Belgium, their infrastructure is from the 30's with no security system on the tracks themselve at all.

France is also lacking a lot.

And there are many more...

If Paris area, France is lacking, the United States is even worse. The thing is our system in the Northeast is at or over capacity so the result is delays and cancellations are too frequent, and trains sometimes can never speed up and be on-time. I am pretty sure France is much better. Also, don't compare Apple with Oranges.

Add These stations on the Montauk/Sag Harbor Branch

to Babylon and New York

Westhampton

Quogue

Hampton Bays

Shinnecock Hills

Southampton

Bridgehampton

(Sag Harbor Branch Diverts)

Sag Harbor

to Montauk

That is why somehow our transportation is second world quality, nearing third world, this is why investments need to be made on our Rail and Road Systems [including Bus Lines].

That is why somehow our transportation is second world quality, nearing third world, this is why investments need to be made on our Rail and Road Systems [including Bus Lines].

That is an exageration. Our transportation is nowhere near third world quality. Absolutely not. Approaching second world quality, yes, but nowhere near third world quality. Just because our system has delays and runs on outdated infrastructure does not mean its as bad as third world system.

That is an exageration. Our transportation is nowhere near third world quality. Absolutely not. Approaching second world quality, yes, but nowhere near third world quality. Just because our system has delays and runs on outdated infrastructure does not mean its as bad as third world system.

Well, politicians I know are exaggerating, but really we are at second world quality, approaching third world if we keep on cutting transit more and more. It's inexcusable either way, and really people in Europe have blasted North America for having "third world status". What we should do is shut the NIMBY's and NIMBY supporting politicians up...

If Paris area, France is lacking, the United States is even worse. The thing is our system in the Northeast is at or over capacity so the result is delays and cancellations are too frequent, and trains sometimes can never speed up and be on-time. I am pretty sure France is much better. Also, don't compare Apple with Oranges.

We're talking about trains here. Subway in Paris is quite good, can't deny that. But on the train end throughout the country... I've been there more than once, so I know how bad it is.

And the other countries I named are valid too.

What is there to appling and oranging? The fact that Belgium railroad use an infrastrucure from the 30's isn't comparable to what peope are saying "old infrastructure in the USA"? Seems the same point to me.

Anyway, I think that more high speed trains are needed for the USA. Acela Express may not be perfect, but it is at least the best start you can make.

Archived