MNRR/LIRR Short & Long Term Plans and Proposals-now & 2050

Nexis4Jersey

This never was about maintenance locomotives and the various diesel powered track work contraptions, but the revenue generating equipment. Diesels excel at providing the kind of flexibility that maintenance tasks require and electrics are ideal for railroads with significant passenger traffic. Choosing the right tool for the job at hand. Diesels work well for freight railroads because they have multiple engines and make no stops. A breakdown causing a 90 minute delay isn't the end of the world for freight, but to the lirr's only commodity, passengers ; 90 minutes brings out the pitchforks. Whats important are daily operations. Where the average MDBF 15,000 vs 500,000 miles is the relevant statistic and on an average day and not an outliers like recent events people have complete faith in the EMUs. Even now in the MTA's darkest times diesel trains pulled passenger trains aren't the saviors of MTA service during crisis because the same conditions that are keeping the EMUs disabled aren't hospitable to diesels either.

I can't agree with you because I was preparing 4 diesel units to go back and forth out east to bring in crews and workers while systems were de energize. From you writing long posts to and me being on the frontline and hearing old rail roaders praising diesels. I think I will take what I see with my own eyes and hear with my ears.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish you can see behind the scenes on how much maintaining signals,switches and third rail systems go through. How one screw up at a block has a domino effect to to the next block and so on.

Dude that is utter laziness. Buddy lack of electrification is the major cause for conditions on the oyster bay line that cause low ridership. Low acceleration vs EMU. So people instead drive to hicksville or mineola or other huntington line stations that get more frequent and direct service and faster too. If oyster bay was electrified people wouldn't drive to other lines as MTA would be able to afford more service to compete and due to being fast people would not shun it. The patchouge line err ok shouldn't be rushed but I have mixed feelings. Port jefferson err mixed feelings a side passing would automatically equal more service. And reactivating bay ridge will mean the PJ and montauk lines instead of running shuttles and making people transfer which irritates people those can extend to serve the bay ridge line with 30 min service by being express or LTD stop via main line and express to jamacia then time with other trains and continue over the bay ridge branch. Switching between diesel and electric to save on diesel fuel.

I can't agree with you because I was preparing 4 diesel units to go back and forth out east to bring in crews and workers while systems were de energize. From you writing long posts to and me being on the frontline and hearing old rail roaders praising diesels. I think I will take what I see with my own eyes and hear with my ears.

You have no idea how much forcing LIRR riders to transfer in huntington pisses them off. At least more direct trains for friday night them LI folks need to party. And get wasted LOL. :lol::lol:B-) It doesn't effect me as I live in brooklyn but I see the looks on their faces when we switch to a local all stops train they are annoyed some bitch "why they are we paying so much for this?" I admit they aren't as greatful as they should but they still have a point so many are going to manhattan giving em express service at least to jamacia would be nice.

This never was about maintenance locomotives and the various diesel powered track work contraptions, but the revenue generating equipment. Diesels excel at providing the kind of flexibility that maintenance tasks require and electrics are ideal for railroads with significant passenger traffic. Choosing the right tool for the job at hand. Diesels work well for freight railroads because they have multiple engines and make no stops. A breakdown causing a 90 minute delay isn't the end of the world for freight, but to the lirr's only commodity, passengers ; 90 minutes brings out the pitchforks. Whats important are daily operations. Where the average MDBF 15,000 vs 500,000 miles is the relevant statistic and on an average day and not an outliers like recent events people have complete faith in the EMUs. Even now in the MTA's darkest times diesel trains pulled passenger trains aren't the saviors of MTA service during crisis because the same conditions that are keeping the EMUs disabled aren't hospitable to diesels either.

Diesels are still needed in times of emergency but shouldn't be used as everyday trains in the long term a healthy LIRR would eventually wean off diesel for regular passenger service except east of ronkonkoma and patchouge. Diesels don't delay that badly they are just extremely expensive to operate which is why SEPTA wants nothing to do with diesel there is a reason why all their lines are electrified can MTA practically do that not likely the most they can do is to patchouge or electrify PJ and oyster bay or just oyster bay alone as electrification is big work and required a ton of maintenance the advantage EMUs have over diesel is low operating costs and maybe thats about it.

So you saying all the diesel equipment should just be sitting idle until emergencies. Would that be wasting money?? You know had to bring this topic yo with some of my co workers and I got laughed at for even bringing this notion up.

Hmm will dual mode diesel/electric hybrids bring in huge savings? and allow for slow transition into electrification I think that will work better. why are the diesels so costly to operate if they are dual mode or are they going 100% diesel those trains on PJ and Montauk lines? Is that why the guzzle fuel like clinkers? I did hear about electrification to yaphank. However wouldn't that be done in conjunction with the DMUs that will be unleashed for the east end?

So you saying all the diesel equipment should just be sitting idle until emergencies. Would that be wasting money?? You know had to bring this topic yo with some of my co workers and I got laughed at for even bringing this notion up.

If you convert them to dual-mode then you can just run electric until a disaster happens forcing it to use diesel. Best of both worlds.

And I don't see how you think diesel is more cost-efficient? Haven't you seen all those gas prices going up like crazy?

Added more lines

Electrified

Main Line

Port Washington Branch

Long Beach Branch

Far Rockaway Branch

Hempstead Branch

West Hempstead Branch

Babylon Branch

Diesel

Oyster Bay Branch

Montuak line

Greenport Branch

Port Jefferson Branch

Future Electric lines

Oyster Bay Branch

Montuak line

Greenport Branch

Port Jefferson Branch

Rail Extensions or Restorations

Central Branch

Oyster Bay Connection

Rockaway Beach line

Bay Ridge Branch

Coney island Xpress

Light Rail or Busways

Long Beach Isle Busway

North - South Corridor Light Rail

Francis Lewis Boulevard Light Rail

Northern Boulevard Light Rail

Route 110 Light Rail

Jericho Turnpike Light Rail

Hillside Ave Streetcar

Hempstead Turnpike Streetcar

South Shore Streetcar

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215312482559953359515.000496c9cdea77cff2ae1&msa=0&ll=40.61291,-73.376312&spn=0.70368,1.674042&iwloc=0004cd1b50327bd6435a1

If you convert them to dual-mode then you can just run electric until a disaster happens forcing it to use diesel. Best of both worlds.

And I don't see how you think diesel is more cost-efficient? Haven't you seen all those gas prices going up like crazy?

this is why you stay away from diesel fumes to say diesel is cost efficient is like smokin diesel fuel.

Nuff of the immature jokes I just was having fun. But yes you have a point. But I heard about natural gas locomotives coming out that can replace diesel completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Diesels are getting a lot of praise from the people and higher management this week for LB. Not looking to good for the diesel haters. So do you still want to get rid of them??

Yes. I don't care what some people and higher management think, I have my *own* opinion about it.

this is why you stay away from diesel fumes to say diesel is cost efficient is like smokin diesel fuel.

Nuff of the immature jokes I just was having fun. But yes you have a point. But I heard about natural gas locomotives coming out that can replace diesel completely.

LNG locomotives have been in the testing stages on and off for years but they seem to cost way more to maintain and dont run as good as the diesel-electrics.

Interesting hybrids are a good solution. Are they cheaper to operate as one train over diesel and electric territory than one diesel and transfer to electric?

I was not talking about dual mode diesel-electrics/electric motor. Diesels are really diesel electrics. The prime movers burn diesel fuel to make electrical power that powers the traction motors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_locomotive

I was not talking about dual mode diesel-electrics/electric motor. Diesels are really diesel electrics. The prime movers burn diesel fuel to make electrical power that powers the traction motors

http://en.wikipedia....esel_locomotive

Is there any cheaper to operate alternative that has fast acceleration? I mean the PJ line due to diesel speed limits is so slow it takes an hour to reach hicksville unacceptable!!!!!!

Ronkonkoma trains take around 50 to 60 mins to get to jamacia!!!!!!!! That is ridiculous now I know the real reason why KO line has the highest ridership in LIRR. The other lines in suffolk are stupidly slow. Port jefferson is downright embarrassing and you have to transfer. Your better off using a bus to the KO line. The montauk is a little more respectable.

http://en.wikipedia....esel_locomotive

And in LIRR's case there's also an electrical unit because some DE30's need to enter Penn Station which is only accessible by 3rd rail.

Archived