Has anyone here used the SIR before?

Trainspotter

the SIR is a POS and a waste you only pay at St. George board at any other station you ride free no turnstyles i guess thats why they think they should ride the bus for free out there talk about the MTA losing MONEY
Lol most people get off the stop before st george to avoid paying the fare.

I like the SIR. I caught it for the first time this summer! They need to put a set of R160's on the line!!

No they don't!! Their 44's are awsome and don't need to be replaced!

According to several sites (i believe including forgotten-ny.com) they are in the process of installing fare control, and updating existing implementations along the entire route. I believe this means smart link card upgrades are going to be seen soon as well. It'd be nice to hear from someone with info on this project have their input here to see what exactly is going on.

- Andy

LOL

So SIR is only R44? Hmm in that case, I won't be riding it anytime soon...

SIR R44's are diffent than the ones on the (A) line. SIR 44's go much faster and have a diffent braking system which doens't make that weird hissing noise that NYCT 44's make.

SIR 44's are awsome, you should ride them they're really cool.

SIR's fleet sucks, give it real Railroad cars. :)

To add on to that, I remember being scared when I saw a strange looking lady walked into the front cab with a limp about to operate the train, but then I saw that the driver on another train arriving didn't have a uniform on, and realized that SIRT engineers don't seem to wear any uniforms for some reason...

To add on to that, I remember being scared when I saw a strange looking lady walked into the front cab with a limp about to operate the train, but then I saw that the driver on another train arriving didn't have a uniform on, and realized that SIRT engineers don't seem to wear any uniforms for some reason...

I rarely see railroad (yes its a railroad) drivers/engineers wearing any type of official clothing. They are usually dressed very casually with a "i work for ___ and drive trains" ID usually around their neck or pinned to shirt. PATH drivers can be a craps shoot of how they are dressed, but they usually have some kind of "nice" clothes on and a driver's cap, but they do it because the PATH system has different security rules for employees.

- Andy

Whats so wierd?? Its the same as any other IND/BMT line.

I just don't really understand why it uses old subway cars if it's supposed a "railroad".

I feel the same way about path, its a subway not a railroad. Esp with those toy subway cars its fleet uses.

SIR feels like a subway too, not a railroad.

I also consider the PATH system to be a subway, I don't think that anybody really calls it a railroad.

They have 3rd rails too???

Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Rail Road do have 3rd rails only up to a certain part on a particular branch and/or line. Long Island Rail Road 3rd rail is like ours (New York City Subway) it have an overshoe while Metro-North Rail Road have an undershoe

Railroad law can be found at the FRA website, but i can say now 3rd rail etc doesn't matter, a railroad ROW in my opinion is able to carry freight and passengers. LIRR sees freight overnight, MNRR sees freight all the time, and SIR USED to be a heavily utilized freight line. PATH's ROW also sees freight usage, but it is all most isolated from the national rail network, so it is somewhat at risk of losing heavy rail status under the FRA rules. I personally don't think they will bother changing the rules for SIR or PATH because the system could be used for freight in the future.

- Andy

Railroad law can be found at the FRA website, but i can say now 3rd rail etc doesn't matter, a railroad ROW in my opinion is able to carry freight and passengers. LIRR sees freight overnight, MNRR sees freight all the time, and SIR USED to be a heavily utilized freight line. PATH's ROW also sees freight usage, but it is all most isolated from the national rail network, so it is somewhat at risk of losing heavy rail status under the FRA rules. I personally don't think they will bother changing the rules for SIR or PATH because the system could be used for freight in the future.

- Andy

The reason path has an FRA rules applied to them is because of an connection to the NEC at harrsion yard. Those NS freight trains run on the same ROW as path but not on the same tracks.