The brutal Winter of 2011 that has hit NYC Metro area?

Shortline Bus

Is it me or is anyone already getting tired and frustrated of this brutal winter of 2010-'11?:eek:

Already this season, Metro NYC has had 6 measurable snowfalls including the now infamous Christmas Weekend Blizzard of 2010. Now as I write this, the coldest temps in at least a couple of years will hit the Northeast/New England for most of the week. NYC on Monday Morning could have temps at or near zero.:cry: That same morning places up at or near Albany North towards Northern New Engalnd will be as low as minus 10-15 below zero.

This winter reminds me of the Winter Season 1993-94. That year Metro NYC had '16 measurable snowfalls and at least 6 major snowstorms including I remember 2 blizzards.

And more snow in a few days as well! So guys how are you reacting? Have you cut on say 'railfanning' trips and only go out for work/school or grocery shopping? Is this winter part of 'climate change?' Just wondering and await your comments?;)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was only one major storm.

You forget about the 'storm' last week that hit on Tuesday 1/12 that dumped only 8 inches on the 'city.' Ct. and New England got over 2 feet from same story. Anything with 6 inches of snow or more is consiered a 'storm.'

I said '6' measurable snow events not storms. There only been '2' huge snowstorms so far but still way above normal for the metro area.

Is it me or is anyone already getting tired and frustrated of this brutal winter of 2010-'11?:eek:

Already this season, Metro NYC has had 6 measurable snowfalls including the now infamous Christmas Weekend Blizzard of 2010. Now as I write this, the coldest temps in at least a couple of years will hit the Northeast/New England for most of the week. NYC on Monday Morning could have temps at or near zero.:cry: That same morning places up at or near Albany North towards Northern New Engalnd will be as low as minus 10-15 below zero.

This winter reminds me of the Winter Season 1993-94. That year Metro NYC had '16 measurable snowfalls and at least 6 major snowstorms including I remember 2 blizzards.

And more snow in a few days as well! So guys how are you reacting? Have you cut on say 'railfanning' trips and only go out for work/school or grocery shopping? Is this winter part of 'climate change?' Just wondering and await your comments?:D

I'm sick of it only because I'm tired of shoveling and the express buses usually get screwed up in the snow.

I also tend to find when it's crappy out that I prefer to limit my travel until the streets and sidewalks and more walkable. However, I prefer the cold far more than the sweltering summer, so if we could get rid of the snow I'd be a happy dude. :cool:

The bitter cold weather is because of global warming

The argument has been made that global warming will bring colder winters and hotter summers, as well more irratical weather. For all of the nay sayers, I think logic should prevail on this one, even if you disagree with the so called experts. Man has been destroying the earth for years, so at some point there has to some sort of consequences.

Ehh..I'm not tired of the snow but it can be annoying at times struggling through the snow whether you're driving,walking or shoveling it's tiring but its life we all gotta deal with it.I wish all of the storms we had was enough to close school but then again Bloombitch and his broad ain't gonna do nothing.2 Major Storms so far this Winter if that Blizzard on the 26th happened a week later I'm sure NYC schools would had been closed for at least a day or 2.We got a whole lot of Winter left last week of January,February,March,some April and maybe rare snow in May b\c last year May was COLDD for like the 1st 2-3 weeks.

Snow is beautiful but this weekend lows are supposed to be in the single digits and below zero in other places thats REAL ARTIC AIR who would want too rf or busfan in temps like that? Fingers would get numb in a sec.

Welcome to winter. There's always Florida if one hates snow that much. I'm enjoying it personally.

Actually at the start of January it was cold in Fla. as well. Miami even had a overnight temp recently of 35 degrees. Not to mention it snowed in Jacksonville, Fla. as well. Even during my recent to Southern Calif over the holidays, the daytime temps was at best 60 degrees. So it been cold in most of America this winter season as well.

I know snow and cold are a 'normal part' of winter in the Northeast USA. I just meant to say, it been alot of snow so early in the season. Not to mention the 'deep freeze' for next few days. That my point.:D

PS Did anyone mention there a chance for another big snowstorm next wed. 1/26/11 as well?:eek:

I would actually like another big snowstorm. Let's see if the chancellor actually decides to close schools. Last time, she said "We don't want kids walking around aimlessly doing nothing." while we had an aim to go outside and have snowball fights or something. Therefore, we wouldn't be doing nothing and it shows that she doesn't have an education.

Actually at the start of January it was cold in Fla. as well. Miami even had a overnight temp recently of 35 degrees. Not to mention it snowed in Jacksonville, Fla. as well. Even during my recent to Southern Calif over the holidays, the daytime temps was at best 60 degrees. So it been cold in most of America this winter season as well.

I know snow and cold are a 'normal part' of winter in the Northeast USA. I just meant to say, it been alot of snow so early in the season. Not to mention the 'deep freeze' for next few days. That my point.:D

PS Did anyone mention there a chance for another big snowstorm next wed. 1/26/11 as well?:eek:

These guys don't know about Arctic cold... They need to go up and live in or near Canada for a while. I can remember days when it was maybe 3 F (~ -16 C) for the high, not including the windshield and as you know Plattsburgh is near a lake, so you get the wind and the snow from that too... :cool:

The argument has been made that global warming will bring colder winters and hotter summers, as well more irratical weather. For all of the nay sayers, I think logic should prevail on this one, even if you disagree with the so called experts. Man has been destroying the earth for years, so at some point there has to some sort of consequences.

And why hasn't some Day After Tomorrow **** happened yet? Everyone says "oh no global warming is destroying the ice caps." Well, we're all still here. People are so quick to blame irregular weather on global scam by Al Ogre.

And why hasn't some Day After Tomorrow **** happened yet? Everyone says "oh no global warming is destroying the ice caps." Well, we're all still here. People are so quick to blame irregular weather on global scam by Al Ogre.

Forget about the scientists and Al Gore... Do you really believe that if you keep polluting the environment that NOTHING will happen? I mean seriously I don't care what Al Gore or scientists say. I'm just going off of logic. Man has been dumping toxins into the waters and polluting the ground for years. At some point these actions will backfire. Most landfills in the US will be filled to capacity in the next 20 years or less if we keep polluting like we are and keep having relaxed attitudes about recycling. China already has a spiraling garbage problem and the oceans around the world are filling up rapidly with plastic and other manmade garbage.

Or put it this way... If you drank yourself silly every day and maintained a poor diet, logic would say that you'd have some sort of health problems eventually or serious liver damage. Now of course it's also possible that that might not happen, but the chances are certainly greater. There are always consequences with each action taken.

Forget about the scientists and Al Gore... Do you really believe that if you keep polluting the environment that NOTHING will happen? I mean seriously I don't care what Al Gore or scientists say. I'm just going off of logic. Man has been dumping toxins into the waters and polluting the ground for years. At some point these actions will backfire. Most landfills in the US will be filled to capacity in the next 20 years or less if we keep polluting like we are and keep having relaxed attitudes about recycling. China already has a spiraling garbage problem and the oceans around the world are filling up rapidly with plastic and other manmade garbage.

Or put it this way... If you drank yourself silly every day and maintained a poor diet, logic would say that you'd have some sort of health problems eventually or serious liver damage. Now of course it's also possible that that might not happen, but the chances are certainly greater. There are always consequences with each action taken.

Ah, but the Earth is resilient and massive. We have plenty of time (as in centuries) before our actions even come close to nature's natural cycle.

My gripe is that people use global warming to explain any weather phenomenon. When it's 0.001 degrees above normal, they say it's global warming. When it doesn't snow enough, it's global warming. When it snows too much, it's global warming. If they're going to make a fabrication then at least be consistent.

Well all the old people seem to be running down there thinking its immune to cool/cold temperatures. So it crossed my mind. -shrugs-

My gripe is that people use global warming to explain any weather phenomenon. When it's 0.001 degrees above normal, they say it's global warming. When it doesn't snow enough, it's global warming. When it snows too much, it's global warming. If they're going to make a fabrication then at least be consistent.

Repeat after me: global warming is bullshit.

Archived