NYC Transit Career FAQ

Harry

Sound good!

1. Where can I find study guides for an upcoming Exam?

You can buy books from Arco or Passbook online or Barnes N Noble and Civil service book store On Worth St bet Bway and Church in Lower Manhattan. You can take the (4)(5)(6)/(J)(M)(Z) to Brooklyn Bridge/Chambers St or (R)(W) to City Hall or (A)(C)(E)/(2)(3) to Chambers St/Park Place

2. How Long does it take to get called for the job after the Exam?

It takes any where from 1 Yr to 5 YRs pending on your List Number. If you score Low its a good chance you may not get called at all like Below 80% it all depends on how bad they need people and if they certified the Exam after yours. So score High!

3. How long does it take to get hired after passing the (MTA) Medical?

It takes 30 Day unless your at the bottom and the class is filled up. Then in that case you have to wait for the next class and redo the Medical Exam. There is no way of telling how long it will take for another class.

4. How long is Probation and when does it come into effect?

Your Probation starts on your Introduction date which is Sunday of the week you started Training.

Probation is for one Year and can be extended if your Performance is Unsatisfactary which includes Sick Time, Reporting to work on time , Proper Uniform, Operation Violations. Any Abuse or Violations can cause you to also be terminated from your Position.

Note: This is the way it is in RTO (Rapid Transit Operations) and may not be the same in other Departments.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ Rapid Transit Operation ( Train Operators , Conductors)

1. Where will I go for Trainning

You will start your trainning at the Transit Learning Ctr In Bensonhurst , Brookyn for at least one week and return for Exams during the trainning session. The nearest Subway lines are is the (D) to 25 Ave or the (N) Ave U.

You will also train and report to all the Yards in your division and see most of the reporting Terminals.

2. Can I pick my Div and Work Location?

It depends the first week you will pick Your Div and Pay Location only. They will have spots open in both A and B Divs pending on the needs of the service. You will be called in senority order if a spot if open you can pick it and if not your stuck in whatever Div is open. However your pay location can be in Any Div. it don't matter.

Now picking your div. don't mean your working close to home because you will be called to work on all the lines and Location in your Picked subdivision.

A Div: (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(6x)(7)(7x)(S) Lines

B Div: (A)(:D©(D)(E)(F)(G)(H)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(S)(V)(W)(Z) Lines

However if your in the Bronx you want A Div and if your in Brooklyn, Staten Island , Queens you want the B Div. Keep in mind you still have to traval A div got jobs In Corona QNS and ENY Brooklyn. Also B Div got jobs out of Upper Manhattan and The Bronx.

Until the day your Senority lets you pick a job you will be on the Extra List in your Div assigned to jobs daily needs of the service by the Crew Assignment section. Your Tour of Duty Mid,AM,PM and days off can change Weekly.

3. How long do does it take the pick a job?

It take about 1 Year for Conductors and 2 to 4 Years for Train Operators.

4. How long do I have to wait to change my Div.?

You must put in writting before the pick process starts that you would like to pick in the other Div. You can only change your Div if you have enough senority to pick a job. If no job are available you must stay in your current Div.

5. How often are the Picks?

We have two picks a year.

6. What time do the tours starts?

They can start any time between Mid: 10PM to 3:59AM AM: 4AM to 11:59AM PM: 12PM to 9:59 PM.

7. Can I work Overtime?

Yes , Your first year you will work lots of overtime from Being Extra Board and then working a full 8 to 9 hours on top of your board time which is the time you reported for work. You can also sign up to work on one of your days off.

8. What is Board Time?

That means Extra Board you report to a location and sit there on stand by in case a job opens up. Example you can report to Pelham Bay Pk (6) Line at 1PM for a Extra Board Report. You board job is from 1PM to 9PM. Now Crew Office calls you at 2PM tells you to pick up a whole job on the (3) out of New Lots starting at 4:12PM. Now your Board time is from 1PM to 4:12PM then your put into the Job from lets say 4:12PM to 12:33AM. That makes one long day. Now even with that it doesn't excuss you from your job the next day unless its under 12 Hrs Road Extra and 10 hours Extra List from your clearing time to the next day reporting time. Your commute home is NOT a factor. The next day if you have a job 1PM at Main St (7) Line you still have to go.

Next Example you can be at Pelham Bay 1PM on the board and be called to pick up the balance of a job meaning someone could not finish thier job from Illness, random or Incident. Now the Crew office tells you go to E 241 St white plains road and do one trip starting at 5:08 PM. The run gets back to E 241 (2) AT 9:05 PM. Now you get just a 5 Minute late clear plus the traval time it would take you to get back to Pelham Bay from E 241 according to the (MTA) Traval time chart which is less then the real time.

What is the diffrance between Road Extra and Extra List?

Road Extra is given to C/R or T/O how could not pick a job. You can work any line or location in your div. and days off and Tour can change weekly.

Extra List : T/O's and C/R's who picked Extra List which comes with a steady tour and days off. Also you mainly work in one section in your Div and not the whole Div but can go to another Section if they have a shortage of personal. The A div is split in 2 sections East and Bway. The B Div is split in 3 sections South , North and Queens.

• 2 months later...

I start on july 14 for the Train Operators class and I read that they will check everything from your background and they can fire you while they are training you if there is anything that you did not put in the application. i think i had a minor summons about 15 years ago that i forgot to put down. is that going to come back to haunt me? it was so long ago and so minor...are they that strict?

I start on july 14 for the Train Operators class and I read that they will check everything from your background and they can fire you while they are training you if there is anything that you did not put in the application. i think i had a minor summons about 15 years ago that i forgot to put down. is that going to come back to haunt me? it was so long ago and so minor...are they that strict?

Just for future reference to everyone else, yes you should put it on there, but 15 years is kinda long, so you should be ok. Especially if it's minor like you say.

Thanks,

i keep hearing horror stories about guys being picked up right out of training and being fired on the spot for unreported incidents on their application. i put down everything that i remembered..i just forgot that one thing. Thanks again.

Thanks,

i keep hearing horror stories about guys being picked up right out of training and being fired on the spot for unreported incidents on their application. i put down everything that i remembered..i just forgot that one thing. Thanks again.

No prob dude.

yea im debating if whether i should do that or not.
Chill out...When they took yur prints ANYTHING questionable would have came back!15 years is ALOT of time and IF(I said IF) they bring it up,you forgot! If you were going into Law enforcement: Corrections,Police,Fire Dept,School safety etc. YOU WILL HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO REPORT IT.I remember my boy missed out on a B/O job because he didn't understand the wording of being "arrested" or "convicted" of a crime.:eek:If you've been convicted by a judge or jury by all means TELL them,if not I wouldn't go back to volunteer any information unless there's something that YOU know might hurt you in the future.JMO..Enjoy yur orietation next week!(I'll be there too..:P)

• 8 months later...

I know where the MTA transit school is. It's around lafayette high school and near the Dunkin Donuts. Is that where all the training takes place? Where do you go after week 1? Training is for 6 months? Is there OT during training?

Also, does the MTA provide uniforms or do you have to buy them? It's mandatory to wear a uniform to work, correct? Is wearing sneakers allowed?

I live next to coney Island. Is it possible to start my shift at Coney Island? Or will they screw me and send me to the Bronx?

I know where the MTA transit school is. It's around lafayette high school and near the Dunkin Donuts. Is that where all the training takes place? Where do you go after week 1? Training is for 6 months? Is there OT during training?

Also, does the MTA provide uniforms or do you have to buy them? It's mandatory to wear a uniform to work, correct? Is wearing sneakers allowed?

I live next to coney Island. Is it possible to start my shift at Coney Island? Or will they screw me and send me to the Bronx?

NO overtime during school car. Your uniforms are given to you and must be worn. NO sneakers allowed.

You will be all over the system for the first few years especially during school car because how else would you learn the system.

What positions in the MTA are higher than a Train Operator? I mean what other positions can one advance to from a train operator? A dispatcher? How much do these positions make?

I heard that LIRR operators can make 100k and with OT some make 200k? Is it possible to go from MTA to LIRR? Do other T/O in other cities make more than NYC train operators?

What positions in the MTA are higher than a Train Operator? I mean what other positions can one advance to from a train operator? A dispatcher? How much do these positions make?

I heard that LIRR operators can make 100k and with OT some make 200k? Is it possible to go from MTA to LIRR? Do other T/O in other cities make more than NYC train operators?

LIRR engineers make about $6 an hour more than us. No you cannot go from the MTA NYCT to MTA LIRR unless you go through the same process as anyone else and then you must resign from the TA and start over with the LIRR.

T/O's can go ONLY to T/D and TSS. Neither of these titles makes over 90k a year. Yes T/O's in EVERY other city makes more than us and has a MUCH easier job.

Oh this is a great thread. I posted this in its own thread..but maybe it would be more suitable here. Im having trouble understanding the whole "certified" thing. So I have 2 questions...

When a list is certified what does that mean?

What does "Last eligible certified" mean?

Hi all:

Just a general question:

I read that to become a Assistant Train Dispatcher you can be promoted from Conductor, but I read on this forum that it would be a pay cut, so...how does someone get this position??

Thanks!

Hi all:

Just a general question:

I read that to become a Assistant Train Dispatcher you can be promoted from Conductor, but I read on this forum that it would be a pay cut, so...how does someone get this position??

Thanks!

To take a promotion to ATD you can go from C/R but NOT from T/O. It would be a pay cut for a T/O not for a C/R.

Archived