NYC Transit Career FAQ

Harry

Oh this is a great thread. I posted this in its own thread..but maybe it would be more suitable here. Im having trouble understanding the whole "certified" thing. So I have 2 questions...

When a list is certified what does that mean?

What does "Last eligible certified" mean?

A list is certified when DCAS finally approves the test questions, scores, seniority and Veteran's Credits for those who took the test. You will never be called from an uncertified open competitive list, as that would be like pulling names out of a hat.

When the agency involved starts calling from the list, DCAS releases a group of names to them. As the agency approaches the end of that group, DCAS will release the next group. The last person in each group is the "last eligible certified".

A list is certified when DCAS finally approves the test questions, scores, seniority and Veteran's Credits for those who took the test. You will never be called from an uncertified open competitive list, as that would be like pulling names out of a hat.

When the agency involved starts calling from the list, DCAS releases a group of names to them. As the agency approaches the end of that group, DCAS will release the next group. The last person in each group is the "last eligible certified".

Thank You so much !!! I'll listen to that recording and will be so lost ! Lol. Dont know if they'll ever get to my # since the call for C/R's seems to be slow. But my list # is before the last eligible certified for my particular list..so hopefully thats a good thing. Still crossing my fingers. But I did take the Conductors test again in December

I checked the DCAS website and couldn't find info on starting salaries on some positions. Thats why I asked. I thought this was suppose to be a FAQ thread.

Check the old notice of examinations for salary info:

http://nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employment/oldexams.shtml

http://nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employment/promo_old.shtml

Knock yourself out.

• 1 month later...

For people unfamiliar with civil service promotions, the NYS CC labor laws say you can ONLY advance/promote to a higher paying title, sorted by BASE pay. Lower Ranked titles with other premiums & differentials can possibly earn more than higher paid titles.

The following pertains to NYC Transit, Division of Subways, RTO Department

possible career paths

Off the Street/other NYCT departments ==> Conductor, Train Operator

Conductor ==>Tower Operator, Assistant Train Dispatcher, Train Operator

Tower operator & Assistant Train Dispatcher ==>Train Dispatcher

Train Operator ==>Train Service Supervisor, Train Dispatcher

Train Dispatcher ==>Train Service Supervisor, Superintendent

Train Service Supervisor ==>Superintendent

There is a stepped 'Superintendent tree as well but I'm not exactly familiar with the structure,

so rather post & be wrong, I'll leave it at that..

All titles other than supt. have some type of graduated pay increases linked to time in title. ATDs & TDs can work double shifts, & OT is readily available. TSS can work OT if it is available. An ATD could possible earn more than a TO if they hustle for OT. Other personnel are restricted to 14 hrs daily. C/Rs can usually get OT pretty regularly.. Many titles promote out of C/R, so open jobs are common, hence need for OT, to fill them.

Screw up big,:eek: and it is possible to skip titles on the way down,:eek: if you still have a job!!

Not in the normal steps.. But I'd suggest taking any TA job offered to start the 'Pension Clock', then worry about getting into the department you want.. 25 years can be done in any combination of titles, one or 20 different ones. I kick myself now for skipping the C/r offer I turned down in the mid 90's.. I'd have 12 yrs done by now..

Years ago, they made 'C/r' tests open to TA workers in other departments. I posted as a TO with a guy who did 10 years in 3rd rail power, then came to RTO. Now, the best way to get into RTO from other departments, if the promotional test doesn't list your 'title/department' as elegible to sit for it, is to file for an open competitive test for the same title. TA will say 'You must resign your position, blah, blah..' but you really don't. Anything happens in the new title, you will be sent back to your former title. I had a few C/Rs in my big TO class from the open competitive list, and one went back during schoolcar because of family issues, to her old C/r Title.

Granted, she was Xtra List until the new pick went into effect, but she still went back..

Is it possible to go from MoW to RTO is one would to come in as a track worker?

I don't know if you still can but as of about 9-10 years ago you were able to go from track to T/O. A couple of good friends of mine did it one about that time and one about 15 years ago.

For anyone asking about salaries here's some general information to the best of my knowledge , so please don't crucify me if I'm off by a couple of cents-

T/O's make 26.99 while in school car (training) then go to 28.07 once they graduate. Top pay for a T/O is 28.65 so basically you're only getting .58 cents an hour extra to go to top pay. To get to top pay for a T/O you need 231 days on the road. A road day is any day where you move a train even one stop with passengers. RDO's (regular days off) AVA's , Vacation , Sick Days , Jury Duty , Station and Yard Switching days , etc. don't count toward that number. It typically takes about a year and half give or take two months either way to make top pay. For senior guys who pick a yard switching job the pay is a dollar and change LESS an hour. (For extra board T/O's assigned a yard switching job for the day , they are NOT subject to the pay decrease for any hours worked - only those who pick a yard job) Also , we get night and weekend differential which is all weekend and I believe from 6pm to 6am , but not 100% on that , and that's an extra $1.41 an hour. So someone who works evenings/nights/weekends at top pay is making a little over $30 an hour , while someone working mornings and afternoons yard switching is making $27 something.

For conductor , I believe but am not 100% sure that the starting pay is $17 an hour and increases to top pay of $25 an hour after several years , so there is a substantial difference from bottom to top pay for conductor , not really for a T/O.

Hope that helps out ... :tup:

Now I hope my next question fits in here. Are there any jobs with (NYCT) that are not civil service and you don't need to take a city test for?

There are more NON civil service jobs than civil service jobs. For a non cs job you submit your resume and hopefully you know soemone or have a relative that will help you.

There are more NON civil service jobs than civil service jobs. For a non cs job you submit your resume and hopefully you know soemone or have a relative that will help you.

Are these non civil service jobs within the MTA union or non union? It sucks to have no connections,with most jobs it is all about who you know instead of what you know.

Are these non civil service jobs within the MTA union or non union? It sucks to have no connections,with most jobs it is all about who you know instead of what you know.

Within the MTA most non civil service jobs are union like locomotive engineers or conductors for LIRR or MNR.

Within the TA there are some non civil service union jobs that DC 37 cover.

Archived