Which line has the most civilized riders?

JubaionBx12+SBS

Well, even though the ©'s southern terminal is a sketchy neighborhood (City Line), as you get more towards Manhattan it starts to get better, roughly after Kingston - Throop. But at Utica Avenue during the p.m. rush hours...you can just forget about it, as you have the B&G HS skells that infiltrate the station between 2 and 4....

The (R) is an okay line. The (F) and (G) are okay to me as well. Only a small section of the (G) line is "sketchy" (between Classon and Flushing Avenue), but the rest of the line the (G) runs through (Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Prospect Heights, Long Island City, Carroll gardens, Park Slope), the (G) is somewhat...gracious (lol).

I've taken it a few times going over to Brooklyn Heights at the High St station, but the problem is that the "niceness" doesn't last long. 8th Ave was always sketchy back in the day and while it's getting better it still has its issues. I took the 8th Ave line a few months ago down from Columbus Circle to try to catch an express bus Downtown and I did see a bit of a difference in the crowd.

With the exception of overcrowding, I'de say every train ride I have EVER taken has been a pleasant or at least an acceptable one. Just about everyone that gets on a subway train is on a mission to get somewhere and ultimately it's all they are truly concerned with, I mean even if someone gets into a fisticuffs or a heated argument I guarantee you they manage to get off on their stop. The problem is when all these unruly kids get on the subway AFTER school, not GOING to school but simply after school. It's as if the schools gave them a drug that turns them into rabid wild monkeys and then releases them onto the unsuspecting public. It's crazy, im sure many of these kids are sweet kids and even great students but when put in groups everything suddenly turns into a pigsty. So the worst lines are always the ones more teenagers frequent. So go ahead New York, keep ******* and ringing in more kids that you don't give a ******* rat's ass about.

I will have too say...the (6) & the (R) & 42nd St Shuttle.Why is b\c these people look well dressed too me(not saying everyother lines passengers aren't well dressed) but more people are dressed nicely whether its uniformd,or street clothes dressed.I can't say anyline has people who dress like a piece of shit b\c there's always someone who looks bummy or smells odd but it is the way it is it could be a construction worker or something.But from what I see the (6),(R),42nd St (S),(F),(4) & (:o are well dressed and have respect for one another.I don't see outbreaks on these lines but shit happens.

I will have too say...the (6) & the (R) & 42nd St Shuttle.Why is b\c these people look well dressed too me(not saying everyother lines passengers aren't well dressed) but more people are dressed nicely whether its uniformd,or street clothes dressed.I can't say anyline has people who dress like a piece of shit b\c there's always someone who looks bummy or smells odd but it is the way it is it could be a construction worker or something.But from what I see the (6),(R),42nd St (S),(F),(4) & (:o are well dressed and have respect for one another.I don't see outbreaks on these lines but shit happens.

When I have to go from the West side back to the East side to get to my office, I take the Shuttle and I feel comfortable since it's all business professionals like myself. I just hate those greasy poles though. They should put the newer style poles on the S train for germ phobes like myself. lol Much more sanitary feeling. :eek:

There was a report somewhere about germs on the subways particularly with the poles and the MTA claims that they're totally fine, but I anytime I use the subway I always wash my hands immediately and never sit down.

4th ave is becoming nicer and nicer. Pretty soon real estate agents will call everything "Park Slope"

I saw a few places going for a pretty penny, so it's just a matter of time. I think if they ever do something with the Gowanus, which is such an eyesore, that area would benefit so much. As it is the Gowanus is pretty much obselete, so they've just been doing patch work, but there was talk a while back of doing something underground. I doubt that'll happen anytime soon, especially with the fiscal crisis here in the city and the state.

Also, with manufacturing being all but dead in most parts of the NYC (which sucks because we need American manufacturing here) the flip side is that there's great potential for nice lofts. You can actually see the Statue of Liberty from some spots on the Gowanus as I have riding the express bus. :cool:

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You can go anywhere and find nice riders and at the same time find rowdy people on the same train.

This is NYC, not the land of gumdrops & lollipops

Well, even though the ©'s southern terminal is a sketchy neighborhood (City Line), as you get more towards Manhattan it starts to get better, roughly after Kingston - Throop. But at Utica Avenue during the p.m. rush hours...you can just forget about it, as you have the B&G HS skells that infiltrate the station between 2 and 4....

Sir I take offense to that since I went to that school :o

The subways back in the 80s were terrible. Crime was rampid on the subways and civilized people were terrorized to ride. Even the worse lines today don't compare to the subway back then and I must say while I find the subways filthy, I do feel safe overall riding on most lines in most areas.

A friend of mine from college actually moved on the L line in Brooklyn near Morgan Ave a few years back. I never thought in a million years that I would be riding the L train in that neck of the woods, but it's yet another up and coming neighborhood with great potential for those willing to wait it out.

An older lady I worked with years ago mentioned that she refused to take the 6 train and would instead opt for the express bus back to the Bronx because going through the South Bronx for her was a living hell. Chicken bones all over the place, loud roudy folks everywhere... :eek:

Your talking to someone that use ride the (6) 4 or 5 times a day and that is bullshyt. Riding through South Bronx on the (6) is not as bad as if your out on the street in South Bronx on the (6). I used Brook Ave, E.143rd St, & Longwood Ave, along with Castle Hill Ave, Westchester Square and never had a problem.

Chicken Bones can be anywhere on any street, loud roudy folks can be anywhere.

I saw a few places going for a pretty penny, so it's just a matter of time. I think if they ever do something with the Gowanus, which is such an eyesore, that area would benefit so much. As it is the Gowanus is pretty much obselete, so they've just been doing patch work, but there was talk a while back of doing something underground. I doubt that'll happen anytime soon, especially with the fiscal crisis here in the city and the state.

Also, with manufacturing being all but dead in most parts of the NYC (which sucks because we need American manufacturing here) the flip side is that there's great potential for nice lofts. You can actually see the Statue of Liberty from some spots on the Gowanus as I have riding the express bus. :cool:

The Gowanus was recently labeled a superfund site by the EPA. It is going to get cleaned up, but it will probably be a long drawn out battle because people love to complain.

Your talking to someone that use ride the (6) 4 or 5 times a day and that is bullshyt. Riding through South Bronx on the (6) is not as bad as if your out on the street in South Bronx on the (6). I used Brook Ave, E.143rd St, & Longwood Ave, along with Castle Hill Ave, Westchester Square and never had a problem.

We're talking a good 7 years ago if not more and many neighborhoods around the city are undergoing a re-birth of sorts. I would imagine areas in the South Bronx are too. The Bronx gets a bad rap, but there are some great areas up towards the northern part. A co-worker of mine who is French lives up in Morris Park. I took the BXM10 up there with another co-worker of mine for a BBQ a few years back and we were all shocked that we were in the Bronx and not the ritzy Riverdale. Lovely houses w/tree lined streets and very quiet...

The Gowanus was recently labeled a superfund site by the EPA. It is going to get cleaned up, but it will probably be a long drawn out battle because people love to complain.

I lived in South Brooklyn just about all of my life before moving to Europe for a bit and now Staten Island, and the Gowanus has certainly put a damper on that neighborhood. I don't know if you've used it but during detours off of the Gowanus there are hordes of XXX shops along 3rd Avenue and whole area has a depressed feel to it. It's sad to me as a Brooklynite since the waterfront is so close over there and there's such potential. Then you go down just a bit further and see the difference without the Gowanus overhead there in Bay Ridge along Shore Road...

An older lady I worked with years ago mentioned that she refused to take the 6 train and would instead opt for the express bus back to the Bronx because going through the South Bronx for her was a living hell. Chicken bones all over the place, loud roudy folks everywhere... :eek:

I'll pass on that experience.

Living along the IRT Pelham myself, I can honestly say this statement isn't all that true. I can't necessarily say the neighborhoods that the (6) goes through in the Bronx are the best, but I take the (6) every day out of/into this area,and the train is nothing like that. Whether or not the neighborhoods are good or not, the (6) train, even while in the South Bronx, isn't all that bad.

This. I've gotten on/off at Third Av-138 St, Hunts Point Av, Whitlock Av, Elder Av, Morrison Av-Soundview, Parkchester, Westchester Sq, etc., and if anything, maybe ONCE had a problem.

Sir I take offense to that since I went to that school :P

I'd have to agree with Lupe Jr, err, I mean Leroy. Boys and Girls High is where dreams (and futures) go to die.

As for the line with the most civilized riders, it's not on the subway. That honor goes to Metro-North.

How about the (E)? The (E) serves Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Rego Park, and Chelsea between Jamaica Center and The World Trade Center.

The (F) serves Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Rego Park, The Lower East Side, Park Slope and Borough Park between Jamaica-179th Street and Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue.

The (4)(5)(6)<6> serve The Upper East Side.

Archived