About Becoming a Bus Operator for NYCT

FutureBusman

Hey guys. How are you today? I'm very pleased to be on a forum like this, with every question being answered in detail. I recently took the bus operator exam #8006 which i felt i did really well on. Except for the first question with rear fog lights lol. January 29th 2008 made it officially 2 years that i got my drivers license. Okay my questions are? If i'm (called) before January 2009, would i be disqualified from becoming a Bus operator since i don't quite have 3 years driving experience? Also, if i'm called after January 2009 ....what are the next steps? Are the classes in a classroom format where you sit in a class and an instructor teaches you before you go out and really start driving? Basically how many steps are there before you are hired and what are the time frame for each step before you really start driving for nyc transit buses?

Hi Futurebusman. I am great, thanks. I'm glad to see that people appreciate the information they are given from this site. To answer your questions, you will not be disqualified for not haveing a license for 3 years. You will have to wait till you do have a license for 3 years. I would not worry about that too much. The earliest you would be called is next January anyway. (Do not let that discourage you though, January will come WAY TOO FAST.).

As for the next steps, there are 3 steps. For all of these steps, you go to 180 livingston street in downtown Brooklyn. You get called to go in for something called a BOSS survey. That is the "bus operators selection survey". Its a very easy test. Don't worry about it. Alot of people on this site get stressed over that test but once they leave they feel foolish. I actually think I felt more stupid after I took that test.

The next step is your drug test. You urinate in a cup, (don't drink it) and they send you on your way. The third and final step is your medical. Don't worry about this either. If your under 25 you shouldn't have a problem. Once your medical is complete, they let you know when your first day of orientation is.

For orientation, you go to the "classroom" which is in a large building in the Bronx. The address is 750 Zerega Ave. You are there for one day, then they send everyone to different depots for traing. NOT EVERYONE PASSES TRAINING. Usually 3 out of 4 pass.

I am not going to go further. If you read my thread entitled "any bus driver please read", you will find alot of information there. Good luck. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in line training now. It took approx 1 year from the date I took the test (exam 5025) until I was called to start the pre employment process. It was long and arduous but the end result is that I made it through training on day 7 which is on schedule. Out of approx 280 people called to begin training, I was told that 30 people did not make it through. (10%) The training was hard, there is a huge amount of informatio that needs to be absorbed and memorized. ( I.E. Outside inspection, inside inspection and brake test) The brake test consists of 6 parts. You need to memorize it in the exact order that it needs to be done in. Everyone froze when they were in the drivers seat doing the tests. You will need to take a deep breath and gain composure then continue.

Getting through training will change your lifestyle. Pay attention to what is being said. The TA is calling 108 people every 2 weeks so hang in there. When test 5025 is exhausted, they wil certify the next test, set a period for objections then when the list is certified, they will begin calling. Good luck....

By the way, you will be driving a bus in live traffic conditions so, you need to concentrate on everything going on around you.(MTA)

I am in line training now. It took approx 1 year from the date I took the test (exam 5025) until I was called to start the pre employment process. It was long and arduous but the end result is that I made it through training on day 7 which is on schedule. Out of approx 280 people called to begin training, I was told that 30 people did not make it through. (10%) The training was hard, there is a huge amount of informatio that needs to be absorbed and memorized. ( I.E. Outside inspection, inside inspection and brake test) The brake test consists of 6 parts. You need to memorize it in the exact order that it needs to be done in. Everyone froze when they were in the drivers seat doing the tests. You will need to take a deep breath and gain composure then continue.

Getting through training will change your lifestyle. Pay attention to what is being said. The TA is calling 108 people every 2 weeks so hang in there. When test 5025 is exhausted, they wil certify the next test, set a period for objections then when the list is certified, they will begin calling. Good luck....

By the way, you will be driving a bus in live traffic conditions so, you need to concentrate on everything going on around you.(MTA)

i thought that it was only 5 brake tests 1st.air leakage test,2nd.low air presure warning signals test,3rd.automatic spring brake test,4th.parking brake test,5th.service brake test.can you give some parts of the bs that i would need to know for the inside and outside pre- trip inspection.

i thought that it was only 5 brake tests 1st.air leakage test,2nd.low air presure warning signals test,3rd.automatic spring brake test,4th.parking brake test,5th.service brake test.can you give some parts of the bs that i would need to know for the inside and outside pre- trip inspection.

ALSAPS.......You forgot air compressor cut off test (the pshhhhshhh, or on some choo sound).

ALSAPS.......You forgot air compressor cut off test (the pshhhhshhh, or on some choo sound).

thanks DOB2RTO.in training do they give you material to take hom and study.Also how long is training,and do you start work right after training

Ah man i think my chances of being a Bus Driver is over. I really messed up by being in an accident yesterday. To me it wasn't my fault cause my car was not moving when i got hit. I was going down a hill of two way traffic, and i was trying to get 2 lanes over so i can exit off .This is very hard to explain because of how the streets are, just imagine going down a hill and at the bottom of the hill it starts to curve and at the curve is an exit two lanes over. I was in the far left lane from the double soild line and in the lane to the right of me coming down the hill was a speeding car trying to take the curve she was a good 100 feet from me when i stoped. I stopped the car and was still in my lane but when she entered the curve at a very fast speed9( trying to catch the light) lost control and clipped the front end of my car while her middle and back was scratched. Now the accident seemed like my fault since my front hit her back. But in reality my car wasn't moving when she hit me.And keep in mind she was trying to turn at a high speed. Oh well my questions are is it over for me should i just move outta state and land myself a police officer job...or just hang in there and hope transit is desparate enough and would hire any and everybody just like how NYPD.

Ah man i think my chances of being a Bus Driver is over. I really messed up by being in an accident yesterday. To me it wasn't my fault cause my car was not moving when i got hit. I was going down a hill of two way traffic, and i was trying to get 2 lanes over so i can exit off .This is very hard to explain because of how the streets are, just imagine going down a hill and at the bottom of the hill it starts to curve and at the curve is an exit two lanes over. I was in the far left lane from the double soild line and in the lane to the right of me coming down the hill was a speeding car trying to take the curve she was a good 100 feet from me when i stoped. I stopped the car and was still in my lane but when she entered the curve at a very fast speed9( trying to catch the light) lost control and clipped the front end of my car while her middle and back was scratched. Now the accident seemed like my fault since my front hit her back. But in reality my car wasn't moving when she hit me.And keep in mind she was trying to turn at a high speed. Oh well my questions are is it over for me should i just move outta state and land myself a police officer job...or just hang in there and hope transit is desparate enough and would hire any and everybody just like how NYPD.

I don't think your chances are over,it doesn't sound like a serious accident to me,where there any witnesses at the scene? If anything it was her fault for speeding while entering a curve. You filed a police report at the scene right?

I Dont think the MTA will not hire you cause of the Accident. As long as you dont have alot of points on your license you should be alright. report this on what ever paperwork the MTA gives. they will ask you to state all driving info on paper work.

You might still have a chance at the job if you can explain what happend- the fact that you werent moving can help you. However how was it written on the police reports, they will look at that as well. Also did you acquire any points (were you given a ticket) from this accident. Your license cannot have over (i believe) 6 points. Dont quote me on this, but they will check. When i got hired we were hurdeled into a room where they checked our licenses. Let me tell you half that room cleared out with rejections because of this. We were then shoved into room number two for our medical where once again the numbers dwindled. But keep your chin up you might be one of the doomed, urrr lucky ones to make it. And, NO, transit is not desperate for applicants, they have plenty of those, they are desperate for good drivers who will one day be excellent professional drivers after five years.

Just a tip if you get this job after all this- whenever you get into a mvc with the bus write as few sentences as possible! Be brief, you will have a hearing later, at that time you can elaborate more. Many times management will confer before you enter your hearing and will find you guilty based on what you wrote. Do not give them fuel to burn you. You usually have at least a week before the hearing to form some decent kind of defense- talk to senior men before that hearing it could save a life!!!!

Archived