Test Shots With My Nikkor 1.8 Lens

Well I'm trying to learn more with the low light lens and need your guys help. Here's examples from yesterday photos and I wanted to post the subway photos here due to the fact this is general photography discussion

CSC_7258.jpg

CSC_7279.jpg

CSC_7250.jpg

Can you guys tell me what will help me improve my shots like shutter speed and more:cool:

Your ISO looks a little high. Alot of noise in your pics, is giving it the look like it was taken with a P&S.

Invest in a UV Filter Kit.

Your 1st 2 shots were ok(Could be better but your learning), however, that last shot looks horrible. Has alot of noise.

What ISO are you using?

Your ISO looks a little high. Alot of noise in your pics, is giving it the look like it was taken with a P&S.

Your 1st 2 shots were ok(Could be better but your learning), however, that last shot looks horrible. Has alot of noise.

What ISO are you using?

I would lower that.

As lilbluefoxie said try Av or A Aperture Priority Mode and let your camera choose the best shutter speed for you, in your case 1.8.

Just play with your camera, you dont have to just use it in the subway. Walk around in Times Sq ect and just play with it and see what you get. Once you figure it out it will be a cake walk.

This was taken in A.

dsc0208qh.jpg

Bad shot to use as a example since its outside.

As you see here, you dont want any noise. keep that ISO down.

41400347.jpg

You have a nice camera there. Make the most of it. You dont want that D40x pic quality looking like P&S quality. Just take your time to figure it out.

With an aperture of f/1.8 you could lowball your ISO to 200-400, play around with the aperture priority setting on your camera, that's usually the "Av" mark on the dial. The automatic shutter speed settings should provide you with insight as to what shutter speeds you should be using. Do that for underground and remember to always keep your arms and hands still when hitting the shutter release.

What ISO are you using?

I never really understand what the UV and ND filters do. Do you know what they do?

I never really understand what the UV and ND filters do. Do you know what they do?

They give a cleaner and sharper picture and also protects your cameras lens from dust.

Also they absorb the ultraviolet rays.

ND Filters reduces the light but doesnt affect the color. Again also serves as a lens protector. It also does a bunch of other things.

Archived