Caution patterns on push/pull cars...

metsfan

I was wondering what was up with some of the push/pull (NJT) rail cars having caution patterns on them, and others not. Is it just on cab cars? Is it a project in progress?

Also, what are the top speeds for EMU vs push/pull, and what are the usual speeds on the diesel operated lines? Thanks for any input!

- Andy

Some cars are more narrower by the doors than others. Like for example, the Comet Vs.

P1000409.jpg

You see how the bottom part of the body of a Comet V is narrower than like a Comet IV.

P1000410.jpg

Warnings and cautions should be on every car.

As for the EMU and push/pull comparison, the Arrow IIIs can accelerate faster than a push/pull train, BUT, a push/pull train in NJT can reach a higher speed than an Arrow III train because Arrow IIIs are limited to 80 MPH IIRC, its something like that.

And I think diesel trains in NJT are limited to 100 MPH but can reach more.

Hello,

I guess the Caution patterns you refer to are the Safety stripes on the front of the NJ Transit Comet III and Comet 4 Cab Control Cars. The purpose of the Safety Stripes was to provide greater visibility at a distance for people at stations and crossings to warn the of the oncoming train. The advent of Ditchlights which are the 2 bottom lights on the front of the passenger cars that flash back and forth replaced that concept. Some Comet 1 Cab Control cars have Safety Stripes on the front of the cars as well. Many railfans including myself refer the safety stripes on those cars as "Tiger Stripes" for obvious reasons.

Eric

Hello,

I guess the Caution patterns you refer to are the Safety stripes on the front of the NJ Transit Comet III and Comet 4 Cab Control Cars. The purpose of the Safety Stripes was to provide greater visibility at a distance for people at stations and crossings to warn the of the oncoming train. The advent of Ditchlights which are the 2 bottom lights on the front of the passenger cars that flash back and forth replaced that concept. Some Comet 1 Cab Control cars have Safety Stripes on the front of the cars as well. Many railfans including myself refer the safety stripes on those cars as "Tiger Stripes" for obvious reasons.

Eric

They should be used on all cab cars in case the lights don't work, and just to have that one added layer of precaution.

- Andy

Archived