"Limited" sign - obsolete?

Amtrak7

When I see most buses, the orange "Limited" sign that drivers are supposed to have in their windows is just thrown up there carelessly. It's kind of useless in this era of LED signs and automated announcements. I don't think anyone uses it anymore, the bright sign is much easier to see. Why does the MTA still have them? (ADA regulation?)

When I see most buses, the orange "Limited" sign that drivers are supposed to have in their windows is just thrown up there carelessly. It's kind of useless in this era of LED signs and automated announcements. I don't think anyone uses it anymore, the bright sign is much easier to see. Why does the MTA still have them? (ADA regulation?)

If it was in braille then I could see it being for ADA, but the signs are usually just as difficult to read as some of the flip-dot signs on the older RTS fleet.

The (MTA) doesn't use automated announcements on any of its routes, except for the M16 and M34. As to why they still have these signs around? Who knows.

The (MTA) doesn't use automated announcements on any of its routes, except for the M16 and M34. As to why they still have these signs around? Who knows.

The LIB Orion VII's have automated announcements: when the door opens, it says "N22, Jamaica". I don't know what it would say on the N6 LTD, but I think they should.

The LIB Orion VII's have automated announcements: when the door opens, it says "N22, Jamaica". I don't know what it would say on the N6 LTD, but I think they should.

Oh, I was talking about MTA Bus and NYC Transit. I guess they're waiting until all of the Orion 5s are gone to do that. And they're handy in the event of a sign malfunction.

N6s with the Clever Devices announcements on will say "N6 - Jamaica, Limited. Limited stops only."

Local N6s will say "N6 - Jamaica" and then repeat "N6" for no reason. The N71 repeats the route number as well.

The Orion Vs have that as well, even the old 1997/1998 Cummins L10G buses, though for whatever reason operators behind the wheel of those particular buses leave the announcements off.

Yeah... A lot of Long Island Bus drivers turn off the CleverDevices system on the buses... Are they really that annoying to hear?

I like them, it's the only system I know of that announces every stop, not just key ones.

I don't know what system they use, but in Miami, there are announcements for every stop.

BTW, I don't recall ever seeing an orange "Limited" sign. Maybe I never paid attention (as long as the rollsign on the front says "Limited", that's all I need to know)

I haven't recalled seeing one in some time though. As others have said with the brighter display signs I don't know why they would still be around. I think some B/Os that do still use them do so because they become aggravated by the annoying tourists in the city asking if they stop at this street and that street. lol

There are hundreds of stops across the city... how would you even get Clever Devices to make announcements for EVERY stop in every borough? I'm sure the woman who recorded the announcements for LIB would have a conniption just going through Queens.

Computer-read announcements or several humans.

I like the limited signs, they're very useful when a bus, usually RTS with scrolling signs which may have to go through two scrolls first, is approaching. Especially at night when some of the older destination signs aren't really lit at all.

The green LED signs are a real b*tch to read at night. I have to squint like crazy because some of them are so duly lit if I'm trying to jocky between stops to see whether an X1 or an X10 is coming.

Does anyone know when they decide to replace the old green LED signs with the brighter orange looking LED signs? I've notice that they replace them on some of the local buses, but I have yet to see any replaced on the express buses.

The green LED signs are a real b*tch to read at night. I have to squint like crazy because some of them are so duly lit if I'm trying to jocky between stops to see whether an X1 or an X10 is coming.

Does anyone know when they decide to replace the old green LED signs with the brighter orange looking LED signs? I've notice that they replace them on some of the local buses, but I have yet to see any replaced on the express buses.

The only buses having the green FD signs replaced by orange LED, are the newest RTS', and a couple older buses only if the signs break.

I still stand by the fact that whoever programmed the new readings for LIB's Luminators is awesome... imagine seeing "B35 via Church Av" instead of "VIA CHURCH" or something like that.

Why did we use green flipdot signs for over 20 years? Why didn't they realize orange was a better color?

Archived