"Limited" sign - obsolete?

Amtrak7

Do you have a photographic example? That could just be the design.

It's not the design, the brackets that hold the sign on, broke off leaving one part or all the sign to be slanted. Too bad they dont fixed it as a high priority.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The green LED signs are a real b*tch to read at night. I have to squint like crazy because some of them are so duly lit if I'm trying to jocky between stops to see whether an X1 or an X10 is coming.

Does anyone know when they decide to replace the old green LED signs with the brighter orange looking LED signs? I've notice that they replace them on some of the local buses, but I have yet to see any replaced on the express buses.

The ones that got replaced was the Luminator TwinVision signs which are on 5105-5249. They had a tendency to get stuck, mainly in the rear. I guess they're doing it in order of the bus number but for some odd reaon, 9444 got one as well

When I see most buses, the orange "Limited" sign that drivers are supposed to have in their windows is just thrown up there carelessly. It's kind of useless in this era of LED signs and automated announcements. I don't think anyone uses it anymore, the bright sign is much easier to see. Why does the MTA still have them? (ADA regulation?)

We are not "suppose to have in their windowns" nothing.....they do not require us to have this in the windows.....I can have these signs all over the bus and guess what? Most people will get on the bus and ask.....is this Limited or Local? I have folded it up and put it on my head before as a hat.......and guess what? is this Limited or local?? I say what does the sign say? or I bend over and look at the sign and go what does it say it is facing the other way?? LAZY people......it is a wonder why all the manufacturing jobs have left the country.....people be asking all day..... is this the lever to turn on this machine?

Hearing the bus talk all day can get on your nerves but I think it is a good thing in general.......but I am sure even with signs up in the windows.....sound a blarring....the driver still gets is this limited or local?

Just part of a day......hunker down...... get er done!!

We are not "suppose to have in their windowns" nothing.....they do not require us to have this in the windows.....I can have these signs all over the bus and guess what? Most people will get on the bus and ask.....is this Limited or Local? I have folded it up and put it on my head before as a hat.......and guess what? is this Limited or local?? I say what does the sign say? or I bend over and look at the sign and go what does it say it is facing the other way?? LAZY people......it is a wonder why all the manufacturing jobs have left the country.....people be asking all day..... is this the lever to turn on this machine?

Hearing the bus talk all day can get on your nerves but I think it is a good thing in general.......but I am sure even with signs up in the windows.....sound a blarring....the driver still gets is this limited or local?

Just part of a day......hunker down...... get er done!!

There's been LTD service on the B35 since april '05... almost 6 years now... and yet there are STILL people yelling at bus drivers b/c they "pass mi stop"...

I even see a few drivers that have the "custom" made LOCAL signs... of which I don't see the point in wasting time having created.... if riders don't pay attention to the orange & purple LTD sign, what makes them think they'll pay attention to a black & white handwritten/drawn sign....

damned if you do put up the signs, damned if you don't....

It's not the design, the brackets that hold the sign on, broke off leaving one part or all the sign to be slanted. Too bad they dont fixed it as a high priority.

But why is it just with these MCIs?

What causes the brackets to break off? Just curious because I have yet to see any of the older MCIs with this problem and I believe these were all made by the same company, no?

They really should make it a priority... Depending on how badly its slanted and the angle at which you see the express bus coming it can be a real pain in the a**... If the older green display signs were like this it would be next to impossible to read the signs.

The ones that got replaced was the Luminator TwinVision signs which are on 5105-5249. They had a tendency to get stuck, mainly in the rear. I guess they're doing it in order of the bus number but for some odd reaon, 9444 got one as well

TwinVision.... not Luminator TwinVision

But why is it just with these MCIs?

What causes the brackets to break off? Just curious because I have yet to see any of the older MCIs with this problem and I believe these were all made by the same company, no?

They really should make it a priority... Depending on how badly its slanted and the angle at which you see the express bus coming it can be a real pain in the a**... If the older green display signs were like this it would be next to impossible to read the signs.

Its not the MCI having this problem.... the Orion V's from JFK Depot and a couple of Orion VII hybrids citywide have it too. Its is probably loose either it was cracked when hit by a poor NYC street conditions that we are having currently, screws are loosely or something else.

The signs that are having this issue is made by the same company, Luminator. You have to make a lot noise to get MTA to notice that it is problem for the people to know what bus to take. Right now, this is not a high propriety since MTA has boat load of problems to get the buses in service in this weather.

TwinVision.... not Luminator TwinVision

Its not the MCI having this problem.... the Orion V's from JFK Depot and a couple of Orion VII hybrids citywide have it too. Its is probably loose either it was cracked when hit by a poor NYC street conditions that we are having currently, screws are loosely or something else.

The signs that are having this issue is made by the same company, Luminator. You have to make a lot noise to get MTA to notice that it is problem for the people to know what bus to take. Right now, this is not a high propriety since MTA has boat load of problems to get the buses in service in this weather.

I'm not in Queens often so that's why I thought it was an MCI problem since the local buses in SI, Manhattan and Brooklyn that I see don't appear to have the slanted sign problem, but rather the display acting rather "erratically" in how it flashes the destination if that makes sense. Yeah, you're right about the MTA's priorities... Signage is low on the list. Their main priority is getting the buses on the road. I would think though that they must have some sort of warranty with these things since the buses w/the issues are relatively new.

P.S. Your name looks familiar...

There are hundreds of stops across the city... how would you even get Clever Devices to make announcements for EVERY stop in every borough? I'm sure the woman who recorded the announcements for LIB would have a conniption just going through Queens.

Only transfer points need to be announced. If it's too heavy a program, it can be done by division.

As for the Limited sign, I feel that the MTA should do away with a route sign that has the route number Limited and have one of the readings only flash "Limited Stops" ("Limited Stops Only" on buses with gold signs).

It's really too bad that all except 55 buses have Luminator signs; if the MTA had TwinVision multi-color LEDs, the routes could be distinguished by orange for local, purple for Limited, green for Express, and blue for SBS.

There's been LTD service on the B35 since april '05... almost 6 years now... and yet there are STILL people yelling at bus drivers b/c they "pass mi stop"...

I even see a few drivers that have the "custom" made LOCAL signs... of which I don't see the point in wasting time having created.... if riders don't pay attention to the orange & purple LTD sign, what makes them think they'll pay attention to a black & white handwritten/drawn sign....

damned if you do put up the signs, damned if you don't....

Same here when a (Q113) LTD passes their stop

Archived