MTA Layoffs??

Donald

Being a conductor IS a prestigous position.I CANNOT move the train until I get the 2 long buzzes from them.They can take me out of service 8 different ways.IF they are slow in opening and closing the doors,I have to answer to the dispatcher as to why we are late and I cannot say "slow conductor" as an excuse.

As far as taking pictures goes,I took pictures of the LIRR well into my 30s.It is called a HOBBY.I dont believe you have ever had one though because if you did,you would not knock the hobbies of others.

Your attitude is awful.and you have not even got intothe TA yet.You should seriously consider another line of work.Knowing my luck though,you are going to be my conductor in the future.I just know it.

You know that is exactly what will happen Andrew. When he comes to the station and has to point to the board, knowing him, he would point the wrong way and poke himself in the eye, then try to get a workman's compensation claim out of it. After that he will get on here to say "will I make it without injuring myself again by the end of the decade?"

Your attitude is awful.and you have not even got intothe TA yet.You should seriously consider another line of work.Knowing my luck though,you are going to be my conductor in the future.I just know it.

Rookie C/R's who think thier chit dont stink are easily put in Line, dont worry Andrew...

A conductor is not a prestigious position. My father has less respect for the job than I did. When he was working at the MTA, he would often see other conductors and even T/Os come in drunk or with alcohol on their breath. Being the good person he was, he covered up for them.

So you might not want me to be your conductor, but I don't drink.

It's not that I don't respect conductors, but let's be honest, they are not doctors or lawyers. If you were to put me in a condcutor's ca tomorrow on a trian in reveue service, I would know exactly how to do the conductor's job: Point to the kangaroo board, insert key, turn key, open doors, make aunnocements, close rear doors, close front doors, turn key, remove key, stick head out of window. Repeat at next stop. Did I miss anything?

A conductor is not a prestigious position. My father has less respect for the job than I did. When he was working at the MTA, he would often see other conductors and even T/Os come in drunk or with alcohol on their breath. Being the good person he was, he covered up for them.

So you might not want me to be your conductor, but I don't drink.

That was THEN this is Now...

Anything else?

If you were to put me in a condcutor's ca tomorrow on a trian in reveue service, make aunnocements, close rear doors, close front doors, turn key, remove key, stick head out of window. Repeat at next stop. Did I miss anything?

Yes you did. You missed the lesson on how to spell in the English language. I highly doubt you are smart enough to keep from poking yourself in the eye when you have to point to the board. I wouldn't call being a lawyer a prestigious position, since they can be some of the most unethical people on the planet manipulating the law. Especially defense attorneys that know their clients are guilty, but take pleasure in beating the system and getting them off. Most doctor's I've seen are no different than mechanics, but they work on humans rather than machines, and many of them do it for the title of doctor or for the money. Nurses are the ones that do the real work in hospitals. and deserve the pay the doctors are getting. You really are a mess man. I'm not trying to be insulting here, but you do need to see some sort of therapist. You've got some problems here. The more you talk, the more it's obvious. You need help. I think if you saw someone driving a Mercendes, and then another person driving a Volkswagen, you would say the Mercedes driver is a better person. You have a warped view of the world, and you won't be going very far in life with that view. You also sound very depressed.

I wouldn't call being a lawyer a prestigious position, since they can be some of the most unethical people on the planet manipulating the law. Especially defense attorneys that know their clients are guilty, but take pleasure in beating the system and getting them off. Most doctor's I've seen are no different than mechanics, but they work on humans rather than machines, and many of them do it for the title of doctor or for the money. Nurses are the ones that do the real work in hospitals. and deserve the pay the doctors are getting.

^^^ Agreed with all of the above! Someone who gets it!

Not that I'm sticking up for absolutely anyone at all since everyone has stated valid points even if it's only their cheap two cents, or stating someone's character is quite suspect, or just supporting someone's post with a "yeah you're right but im too stoopid to come up with the same thing" type of post. They are all valid in my book.

If the rate in which Transit has been calling people up is normal, then yes everything is fine and dandy go eat a candy. However, lets just PLEASE suppose that O/C callups for Conductor began today and that Transit starts calling people at a rate of 20 people for EVERY SINGLE MONTH that the list is open, from today until February 2015. Then that would mean Transit would end up with 960 callups. Lets assume that 50% (a staggering amount and likely much higher than normal) of would-be employees don't attain employment for a VARIETY of reasons. Then Transit would have to call 1920 people (not too shabby, but slightly lower than the previous amount). ALL THIS coming only when and IF Transit decides this is how they are going to be doing things for the next 4 years in my theoretical example. This is the best we can hope for with the current state of affairs were in, a slow but steady pace. Transit can halt hiring, Cuomo can flip the MTA the bird, we could have a terrorist attack, the MTA can slow hiring to 10 people at a time or they can call us up only every other month instead of monthly, or they can hire people like crazy, like on the B/O list. Who knows but those are some of the variables to contend with.

OBVIOUSLY Donald has been slightly misinformed and I KNOW he really wants the job regardless of what he says. Another thing that's quite obvious is that he was exaggerating or simply being sarcastic just to see if there is any tidbit out there he hasn't already read or been told. So Donald, next time just ask if there are any new developments in the world of C/O or T/O hiring, because if you are sarcastic many people especially those whom already work for Transit will get upset cuz they're tired of hearing it, because um...errrr hmmm AY YES, maybe they're jeans are on too tight.

I will say I have a lot of respect for track workers. Their job is super dangerous and hard, and they are underpaid.

Come on over bro. Take the next test. We're always looking for a few good men. I'm at PS 248 for the next month in Track Inspector school and the class right next to us has about twenty five or so new Trackworkers in their second week of class(one guy quit after three days, said he thought the job was too dangerous). It's a great job tho, no stress. Just gotta be careful and use common sense and you'll be fine.:P

When he was working at the MTA, he would often see other conductors and even T/Os come in drunk or with alcohol on their breath. Being the good person he was, he covered up for them.

That's not being a good person - that's being really stupid. Covering up doesn't accomplish anything. Better to get rid of them than pretend there's nothing wrong. Or don't you remember the Union Square crash?

If you were to put me in a condcutor's ca tomorrow on a trian in reveue service, I would know exactly how to do the conductor's job: Point to the kangaroo board, insert key, turn key, open doors, make aunnocements, close rear doors, close front doors, turn key, remove key, stick head out of window. Repeat at next stop. Did I miss anything?

Actually, yes you did. And if you gave me that answer in class, you'd be marked wrong. As to doing the Conductor's job, you do know that there is quite a bit more to it than just opening/closing the side doors, don't you?

That's not being a good person - that's being really stupid. Covering up doesn't accomplish anything. Better to get rid of them than pretend there's nothing wrong. Or don't you remember the Union Square crash?

I don't know how old the OP is, but the Robert Ray tragedy was 20 years ago. I was hired a couple years later. I'm sure his dad remembers it. In the early days when his dad was on the job it was a different time. I've heard crazy stories about the 80's from guys with 25 plus years. Drinking and drugging was widespread and in every dept. It's just the way it was and no one ratted on one another. Then came Robert Ray and everyone "sobered up" quick. You have him to thank for the current random drug testing program, which is not a bad thing...

Putting my conspiracy theorist/ tin foil hat on for a second: Could it be possible that the MTA is deliberaly not calling off of the O/C list out of hope that Tier VI will be passed for new workers?

They aren't calling from the open competitive lists because they need to fully exhaust the promotional lists first. There is no conspiracy.

I don't know how old the OP is, but the Robert Ray tragedy was 20 years ago. I was hired a couple years later. I'm sure his dad remembers it. In the early days when his dad was on the job it was a different time. I've heard crazy stories about the 80's from guys with 25 plus years. Drinking and drugging was widespread and in every dept. It's just the way it was and no one ratted on one another. Then came Robert Ray and everyone "sobered up" quick. You have him to thank for the current random drug testing program, which is not a bad thing...

I've heard quite a few stories from the 80s from friends who worked down there. Never mind the drugs and alcohol, the equipment alone seemed to provide near daily entertainment and "highlights" down there.

Some have asked me why I want the job of conductor after being so "negative" about it. (ANd I don't consider myself to have been negative since far more negative things have been said here).Well, the truth is there are no other good jobs in this economy and just because I start out as a C/R does not mean I have to be one forever. Promotion to A/D, towerman, and T/O are only an exam away.

I've heard quite a few stories from the 80s from friends who worked down there. Never mind the drugs and alcohol, the equipment alone seemed to provide near daily entertainment and "highlights" down there.

Talk about stories. back in the mid to late 90s I was waiting for a train after 1 am in the N line in Brooklyn and a track gang was on the platform joking about how one of their co workers was borrowing money from everyone for his heroin addiction.

Some have asked me why I want the job of conductor after being so "negative" about it. (ANd I don't consider myself to have been negative since far more negative things have been said here).Well, the truth is there are no other good jobs in this economy and just because I start out as a C/R does not mean I have to be one forever. Promotion to A/D, towerman, and T/O are only an exam away.

Last time I looked at the promotional roadmap 2 out of 3 promotional exams you've mentioned are for titles that won't be around much longer. You might want to rethink that last sentence somewhat.

Perhaps this will give you a rule of thumb.I took the test for B/O in 1974 in the middle of the same kind of recession we are in now. I was hired in 1980 and I retired last year. My recommendation to anyone on these lists is to go on with your life as if you didn't take any tests and see where you are when they call you.

Perhaps this will give you a rule of thumb.I took the test for B/O in 1974 in the middle of the same kind of recession we are in now. I was hired in 1980 and I retired last year. My recommendation to anyone on these lists is to go on with your life as if you didn't take any tests and see where you are when they call you.

wow 6 years for them to call u wow i thought 4 if they don`t call u in 4 years u gotta take the test again

Last time I looked at the promotional roadmap 2 out of 3 promotional exams you've mentioned are for titles that won't be around much longer. You might want to rethink that last sentence somewhat.

Why will 2 out of 3 of those jobs not be around much longer?

The last assis. dispatcher exam was given right around the same time as the last condcutor one. And tower operator was given just a few months before that. (all in 2008).

And since that time, they have demoted both ATDs and TW/Os as they shrink the titles.

I expect that there will never be another ATD exam and possibly no more than 1 or 2 Towers exams , depending on how fast they can get ATS-B running and how quickly TW/Os retire/promote.

Thanks Alex for clarifying my response to the OP. I was a C/R before being promoted to M/M and I actually respect both titles equally. There seems to be an undercurrent of disrespect toward the C/R title versus the T/O or B/O titles by a lot of posters and I'm trying to figure out why. To the OP and others who feel this way is it because the C/R doesn't " drive" ? Isn't paid as much ? I can tell you this though. The person sitting in front of the train is only a part of what governs the movement of a subway. Without the C/R, TW/O, Signal and Track departments, CED, T/Ds, ATDs, TSSs and RCC, (did I miss anyone Alex?), that R32 or NTT is a useless hunk of metal with a body up front. I'm sure the B/Os out here have a similar chain, help me out guys and ladies, and they'll probably tell you the same thing. It really bothers me to see so many posters denigrating certain titles in Transit while at the same time clamoring for information on hiring practices of the (MTA). It wouldn't hurt to actually learn about the job BEFORE you actually take the test or at least before you take the job. If you have a family member or friend who is working or has worked for Transit ask them about the job, the good and the bad, before you make general assumptions about any title. What happened 20 or 30 years ago may be a good anecdote yet it may have no relevance to today's workplace experience. Sorry for the rant, people, but it seems some people are clueless about the whole transit environment from hiring to the actual job.

It really bothers me to see so many posters denigrating certain titles in Transit while at the same time clamoring for information on hiring practices of the . It wouldn't hurt to actually learn about the job BEFORE you actually take the test or at least before you take the job.

Stop making sense that dont apply to some posters here...

Archived