Montclair Boonton - Great Notch

JerzeeyMike

So when is Transit going to eliminate Great Notch permenatly? I think it's down to 4 trains a day now? (2 AM Peak - 2 PM Peak) I remember as a kid watching the trains pass through all day long (lived right across the street) and that's pretty much when I fell in love with trains. I know there is only 9 1/2 parking spaces at GRT NOT but alot of people (including my Father back in the day) used to huff it from the the three apartment complex's in the area. Now we have to drive to MSU and pay for parking, or take the 191,195 (personally, the way some of these bus operators drive make me want to puke) If you don't have a car, you'r pretty much screwed (like I was for three weeks after a car accident) I could always go to Little Falls Station of course...pay for the extra two zones and have less travel flexability. Quite honestly, I don't see why they can't just stop there anyways (Hackettstown bound trains) We cruse right through it on the way down the line...usually at 10 miles per hour. How about by request only! Install a buzzer like the buses, I ring, Engenieer Stops, me happy? :mbl: (NJT)

It is actually 3 trains a day...one inbound (which is after the rush) and two outbound. But your plan for stop only upon telling the conductor or upon passengers sighted on the platform probably wouldn't be bad. IMO, this should be implemented on the Montclair-Boonton west of MSU (except for Dover), and on the Main and Bergen Lines outbound except for Ridgewood, Ramsey-Route 17, and Suffern.

Great Notch should just have been closed when Finderne was.

Great Notch is more of a station that is used by people who walk to the train, as opposed to driving. NJT strongly seems to favor Park-N-Ride stations( Rt17, MSU, Wayne-RT23). Service was reduced at Great Notch because of its low demand and the fact that MSU and Little Falls Stations are close by,also, the boarding for this station has always been under 100 (roughly 60 people daily for 2007) and now with the service reduction, the station will probably see less than that. The station will eventually be closed, if the community doesn't fight it.

Archived