M-9 Discussion

East New York

This year, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority plans to purchase up to 84 new M-9 cars.

(MTA) - M-3 cars are experiencing performance challenges and technological obsolescence. This project will begin replacing the worst-performing units with new M-9 cars, completing the fleet replacement in the next Capital Program.

As more details come in, I will be sure to post them!:cool:

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is likely to be a LIRR based order. If not, an LIRR/MNRR mix.

Acually its both, the M9s are suppose to go on the MNR as well.. But mainly the the LIRR.

However things can change since MNR is suppose to get MLVs.

For the M-8s im not sure when they will resume, i gotta check around for more test trains.

This is likely to be a LIRR based order. If not, an LIRR/MNRR mix.

Acually its both, the M9s are suppose to go on the MNR as well.. But mainly the the LIRR.

However things can change since MNR is suppose to get MLVs.

For the M-8s im not sure when they will resume, i gotta check around for more test trains.

According to what I have been told from MTA contacts, they will not be mixed. M8's will go to MNR, and M9's will go to LIRR.

I heard these will be Double Decker EMU's is that true?

The double-decker plan was for MNR third-rail loco(!) hauled coaches to replace the diesel fleet. I don't think the M9's will be double-decker, as they are REALLY heavy. Just look at an NJT ML, which weighs on the order of 193,000 pounds. That's without the traction motors and current collectors that an MU would have.

M8's are only for the New Haven Line. MN has a bunch of M3A's left, more than LIRR has M3's left. LIRR needs more cars for ESA when it opens, but I don't think MNR has any sudden increase in demand for electric equipment anytime soon.

Metro-North already has the M3As and all the ugly CDOT cars. The LIRR has been running the last of the M3s for years, and ran the M1s to the ground until they were all gone and the M7s took their place. The last time I was one, the conductor had to open and close the doors twice each station.

Seems to early to be ordering new designs of cars for LIRR. They still have M7s. Seems to me they could order more M7s instead. Would be more convenient for LIRR?

Bombardier doesn't make the M7s anymore. Even if the M9s look/operate like the M7s, it'll still be a whole new contract.

And it's not too early. Way too many times the (MTA) waited until these cars turned 40 or 50 to retire them (the M1s and the M2s are good examples). For once, they're being proactive in their approach.

It's nothing special. The M9s are suppose to be newer M7s. They will have the exact same look and feel just with minor improvements. If everything goes accordingly, there will be 84 cars ordered by LIRR only. They will be used for the new East Side Access when it is completed.

http://www.mta.info/mta/budget/july2009/july09_vol2part3.pdf

So... are the M9's going to replace that set sitting at Hunterspoint... which I think has been sitting there for about more than 5 months now...

You should move away from subway and learn some rails.

And what sets are you talking about?

This is to replace the M3s LIRR.

M3A MNR to early to tell

I hope Kawasaki build the M9 cars! It's closer to New York City and the delivery is faster! :tup:

No thanks, especially with the M-8s having glitchs.. Why pick them..

Kawasaki Kawasaki Kawasaki...

Look at how bad they screwed up the M8s!!!!

I want this one to go to Rotem.

I understand your frustration with the M8 order, but I disagree with your idea to award the M9 contract to Rotem as the solution. At the same time that we've been trying to get the M8s in service Rotem has been working on the Silverliner V order. I've been following both procurements on railroad.net, and if you think we have it bad...

Their first prototypes arrived about the same time as ours did (early March 2010), but since then Rotem is way behind us; we've been steadily receiving new cars at a little over one married pair a month (I think from 9100 up to 9117 or 9119 have already arrived), testing the #*$&*% out of these cars, and finding a lot of minor glitches. What's more, considering the power complexity required by (MTA) and CDOT (750 V DC third rail, 25kv-60Hz catenary, and 12.5kv-60Hz catenary) for basic operations and the intricacy of the software and hardware required to make these things run, most of the glitches that have been found are things that make you want to roll your eyes but aren't serious flaws.

Rotem, however, sent three initial prototypes over to Philly in March... and that was it until the New Year. The next three cars Philly saw were delivered on 12/30, and they have the plant in their backyard. Not only that, but these cars were having far more serious issues including bumming out going up a hill, spontaneous brake applications, etc. In the initial bidding process for these cars, Kawasaki came out with far higher technical qualifications than Rotem and at an almost even price. Rotem only got the bid on a technicality and (supposedly) some form of back-room agreement involving the location of the Philly plant. Frankly, I want to see Rotem handle at least 2-3 other MU contracts without a hitch before letting them do business with us.