M-9 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, RR503 said:

Oh that's the least of it. I think I mentioned this before, but the idiots at procurement forgot to spec a PTC locker....change order time!

Unless you have proof of any of this, its probably not true. We like to see hard facts, not word that gets scrambled through a game of telephone. Considering the FRA would have inspected the designs for the Nebraska plant before it started production in America, AND the fact that the FRA rejected the original design because it didn't meet safety standards, I would imagine they spotted that error, and that the trains come with PTC pre installed. Considering these trains are built in the 21st century, with modern microprocessors, a PTC unit shouldn't take up that much space, which I doubt it does.

6 minutes ago, jamesman8 said:

Unless you have proof of any of this, its probably not true. We like to see hard facts, not word that gets scrambled through a game of telephone. Considering the FRA would have inspected the designs for the Nebraska plant before it started production in America, AND the fact that the FRA rejected the original design because it didn't meet safety standards, I would imagine they spotted that error, and that the trains come with PTC pre installed. Considering these trains are built in the 21st century, with modern microprocessors, a PTC unit shouldn't take up that much space, which I doubt it does.

See I work for the TA. This is from someone in LIRR management. Not only that, but it has been posted on many forums. 

If that still isn't enough, here's a Newsday article: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/lirr-s-new-fleet-short-on-space-for-crash-prevention-equipment-1.10613772 

Nice use of royal we btw...

5 minutes ago, RR503 said:

See I work for the TA. This is from someone in LIRR management. Not only that, but it has been posted on many forums. 

If that still isn't enough, here's a Newsday article: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/lirr-s-new-fleet-short-on-space-for-crash-prevention-equipment-1.10613772 

Nice use of royal we btw...

Again, that article is TWO YEARS OLD. This problem was fixed after this problem was found by the FRA, thats what I was stating in my post.

TQrfjyo.png

^ This person is stating how the car had to be redesigned past 2015.

Edited by jamesman8

40 minutes ago, jamesman8 said:

Again, that article is TWO YEARS OLD. This problem was fixed after this problem was found by the FRA, thats what I was stating in my post.

TQrfjyo.png

^ This person is stating how the car had to be redesigned past 2015.

I never said the car wasn’t fixed. If you look at the context for my original post, you’ll see that I just was adding to the list of mistakes made in the M9 contract process.

Really no need for such an intense reaction, especially given if you’d taken the time to do the research yourself, you’d have understood what I’m saying. 

Edited by RR503

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

I never said the car wasn’t fixed. If you look at the context for my original post, you’ll see that I just was adding to the list of mistakes made in the M9 contract process.

Really no need for such an intense reaction, especially given if you’d taken the time to do the research yourself, you’d have understood what I’m saying. 

You stating "change order time!" would insinuate that you are stating it is a current problem.

Just saying.

5 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

Powered vestibule doors and power outlets, like on the M8s. And maybe WIFI.

Plus the digital screens, and the text displays will tell passengers what car they are in (hence the "Car 2 of 2" on the display).

On 10/26/2017 at 5:06 AM, Fan Railer said:

Powered vestibule doors and power outlets, like on the M8s. And maybe WIFI.

On 10/26/2017 at 10:39 AM, Bosco said:

Plus the digital screens, and the text displays will tell passengers what car they are in (hence the "Car 2 of 2" on the display).

That's nice but It feel like they're lacking on new features compared to the M7 especially from a passengers prospective.

On 10/26/2017 at 12:06 AM, CDTA said:

The outside is a joke but the interior looks really nice.

Eh, I'm not impressed. It's basically identical to the M7 interior, but with non-pants-ripping armrests, more obnoxious advertising, powered vestibule doors, and outlets at every seat (all completely obvious improvements that they probably could have thought of even back in 2002).

Aside from the easier-on-the-eyes color scheme (lord, that obnoxious red...), the seats on the M9 actually look inferior to the M8's, which have much more substantial head rests. I also don't see any bike hooks, maybe they just haven't happened to advertise them in any public materials, but if the M9 doesn't have them, it would be a pretty huge oversight. Having to sit with your bike is annoying, and they've worked beautifully on the M8s.

The exterior is similarly uninspired, notwithstanding my main man Andy C's attempt to New York Stateify the livery.

14 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

Eh, I'm not impressed. It's basically identical to the M7 interior, but with non-pants-ripping armrests, more obnoxious advertising, powered vestibule doors, and outlets at every seat (all completely obvious improvements that they probably could have thought of even back in 2002).

The M7 was awarded in 1999, which means it was designed before then ...

17 hours ago, IAlam said:

That's nice but It feel like they're lacking on new features compared to the M7 especially from a passengers prospective.

In their defense, the M9 is supposed to be very similar to the M7.  The M7 is a good platform with the exception of the armrests.  Also, there isn't as much to improve with commuter cars as there is for subway/metro cars.

2 hours ago, Bosco said:

The M7 was awarded in 1999, which means it was designed before then ...

In their defense, the M9 is supposed to be very similar to the M7.  The M7 is a good platform with the exception of the armrests.  Also, there isn't as much to improve with commuter cars as there is for subway/metro cars.

That is true, but I wish that the MTA decided to go for interiors similar to the C3. The middle seat is barely used wider 2x2 seating would be much better IMO.

Edited by IAlam

20 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

Aside from the easier-on-the-eyes color scheme (lord, that obnoxious red...), the seats on the M9 actually look inferior to the M8's, which have much more substantial head rests. I also don't see any bike hooks, maybe they just haven't happened to advertise them in any public materials, but if the M9 doesn't have them, it would be a pretty huge oversight. Having to sit with your bike is annoying, and they've worked beautifully on the M8s.

The exterior is similarly uninspired, notwithstanding my main man Andy C's attempt to New York Stateify the livery.

Most LIRR journeys are 30+ miles. and most people don't carry bikes. I've never once seen a person go from Ronkonkoma to Penn during rush hour with a bike. Why would they design something into the car that takes so much space when they could fill it with seats instead.

2 hours ago, jamesman8 said:

Most LIRR journeys are 30+ miles. and most people don't carry bikes. I've never once seen a person go from Ronkonkoma to Penn during rush hour with a bike. Why would they design something into the car that takes so much space when they could fill it with seats instead.

You've never seen someone on LIRR with a bike during rush hour because bikes are prohibited during rush hour on LIRR and MNR.

Compared to LIRR, MNR has a much stronger intermediate / off/reverse-peak / car-free customer culture, which I could go on about for ages, but I can tell you that rider habits on LIRR are not at all reflective of MNR.

MNR is getting some of the M9s; and it's not rare to see people having to hold their bikes for hour plus rides on the M7s/shoreliners.

The bike racks on the M8s work great. They're in the accessible seating bay; if someone needs the accessible seats, the riders just remove the bikes (conflicts with this are rare, there are usually plenty of seats on off-peak trains to sacrifice one accessible seating bay per car).

18 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

You've never seen someone on LIRR with a bike during rush hour because bikes are prohibited during rush hour on LIRR and MNR.

Compared to LIRR, MNR has a much stronger intermediate / off/reverse-peak / car-free customer culture, which I could go on about for ages, but I can tell you that rider habits on LIRR are not at all reflective of MNR.

MNR is getting some of the M9s; and it's not rare to see people having to hold their bikes for hour plus rides on the M7s/shoreliners.

The bike racks on the M8s work great. They're in the accessible seating bay; if someone needs the accessible seats, the riders just remove the bikes (conflicts with this are rare, there are usually plenty of seats on off-peak trains to sacrifice one accessible seating bay per car).

Actually, as of right now, MNRR is getting 0 M9's. That's a fact, go look at the latest procurement documents.

1 hour ago, jamesman8 said:

Actually, as of right now, MNRR is getting 0 M9's. That's a fact, go look at the latest procurement documents.

Metro-North M9/As are tentative.  Just because it hasn't been confirmed yet doesn't mean it won't happen.  Even if the funding hasn't come through yet, soon they will need something to replace the handful of M3As still running.

On 10/30/2017 at 6:27 PM, Bosco said:

Metro-North M9/As are tentative.  Just because it hasn't been confirmed yet doesn't mean it won't happen.  Even if the funding hasn't come through yet, soon they will need something to replace the handful of M3As still running.

That is exactly why I said "as of right now", doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

However I would like to note there is no second design for the M9 for Metro North, LIRR is getting M9/M9A's.

M9's are funded by the MTA, while M9A's are the exact same car but add an A to note they are federally funded cars. These cars wont have any differences.

Edited by jamesman8

On 10/30/2017 at 6:27 PM, Bosco said:

The chance of MNR getting M9's this time around are slim to none.  The M3's may need to be replaced, but they are still running.  There is rolling stock that is not running with no replacement parts available.