M-9 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word has it these will be moving to Ronkonkoma today coupled to an M7. They will be following train 2010 out of Hillside. Not my direct source, but keep your eyes open! 

Edited by RR503

7 hours ago, RR503 said:

Word has it these will be moving to Ronkonkoma today coupled to an M7. They will be following train 2010 out of Hillside. Not my direct source, but keep your eyes open! 

I am 2 miles from the ronkonkoma yard, I'll go check it out and see if I can see anything

On 6/12/2018 at 10:18 AM, trainfan22 said:

Video of the M9 set at Yonkers (Not mine)

I suspect later on today there will be video of the M9 actually moving since they supposedly went on a rest run today, like what was mentioned in the post above.

I think that might be the car which was damaged in the derailment.

2 hours ago, EphraimB said:

What's the difference between the yellow M9s and the regular M9s. Also, why are the LIRR diesel trains double-decker and the third-rail LIRR trains (M series) single-decker?

1. The yellow M9s were the original paint scheme.  The reason being (which is why the M3s and M7s are also yellow) is to increase visibility at grade crossings.  The color was changed when Emperor Cuomo stepped in and wanted the stripe added like the R160 and R211.   As this was in the middle of production/delivery of the pilot trains, some cars received it, while others have the original scheme.  At least one car (I think either 9005 or 9006) has yellow outside the cab windows, but a silver cab door.

2. Needless to say, the double-decker trains increase capacity.  However, only the diesel trains can be double-decker because the EMUs require individual modules for the propulsion, battery, etc.  The double-decker cars are powerless, so all they need are the HVACs (which IINM are roof-mounted; correct me if I’m wrong) , some electricity for the lighting and doors, and air for the brakes.  And the air supply and electricity comes from the diesel locomotive.

Edited by Bosco

On 6/19/2018 at 8:55 PM, Bosco said:

However, only the diesel trains can be double-decker because the EMUs require individual modules for the propulsion, battery, etc.

There are double-decker EMU's out there. So it's possible nothing stop that from happening. 

15 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

There are double-decker EMU's out there. So it's possible nothing stop that from happening. 

NJT is ordering EMU versions of the MLV to replace remaining Arrows. I think it’s a safe assumption that those cars will be able to clear Penn, so I see no reason that the LIRR couldn’t order a similar fleet with 3rd rail shoes. They wouldn’t be able to make it into ESA, sure, but any new capacity to Penn is certainly worth investigating. 

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

NJT is ordering EMU versions of the MLV to replace remaining Arrows. I think it’s a safe assumption that those cars will be able to clear Penn, so I see no reason that the LIRR couldn’t order a similar fleet with 3rd rail shoes. They wouldn’t be able to make it into ESA, sure, but any new capacity to Penn is certainly worth investigating. 

There you go! I was thinking the Twidexx family from Bombardier. 

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

Was not aware of this, and the current double-decker trains won't be able to clear ESA anyway.

9015 (along with 9016) are currently being assembled inside Yonkers.

1 minute ago, Bosco said:

Was not aware of this, and the current double-decker trains won't be able to clear ESA anyway.

9015 (along with 9016) are currently being assembled inside Yonkers.

What's the clearance for the ESA?  less than 16 feet?