M-9 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EphraimB said:

So this is basically what I was talking about. Since the LIRR from Far Rockaway to Manhattan/Brooklyn is pricey, you won't see any low-lives or homeless people on the LIRR Far Rockaway branch. My fear is if they reduce the fare for the LIRR, low-lives and homeless people will start using the Far Rockaway branch as an alternative to the (A) to Far Rockaway and the LIRR won't become a luxurious option anymore for people that don't want to hear cursing or deal with homeless people on their commute to Manhattan/Brooklyn.

Honey, if you don't want to hear cursing and see crazy people, you can move to a gated community in Utah. Whatever your conceptions may be of the LIRR, the major difference in environment between it and the subway is that you have seated yelling people vs standing ones. Long Island is not some paradise of civility -- may I remind you that it is landmass that generated the likes of Sean Hannity and Anthony Scaramucci. 

Even if it was some nirvana, though, I'd still give these arguments no importance. Transportation is one of our great societal equalisers and generators of economic mobility. Negating its potential to be thus because a privileged few are too cowardly too meet the less lucky is undemocratic and unfair to those who would benefit -- especially given that the issues described are not intrinsic realities of our transit system, but rather largely symptoms of gross political mismanagement and, well, our society. 

Edit: oops, missed this last bit. My bad. 

Edited by RR503

29 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Transportation is one of our great societal equalisers and generators of economic mobility.

Excellent point & well stated.... We share the information that we do on these forums, we have our fun at times on here, we have our disagreements on certain aspects/topics, but nobody ever really looks at transportation like this.....

It's posts & mindsets like this that keeps me perusing these forums.

Sigged.

6 hours ago, RR503 said:

Honey, if you don't want to hear cursing and see crazy people, you can move to a gated community in Utah. Whatever your conceptions may be of the LIRR, the major difference in environment between it and the subway is that you have seated yelling people vs standing ones. Long Island is not some paradise of civility -- may I remind you that it is landmass that generated the likes of Sean Hannity and Anthony Scaramucci. 

Even if it was some nirvana, though, I'd still give these arguments no importance. Transportation is one of our great societal equalisers and generators of economic mobility. Negating its potential to be thus because a privileged few are too cowardly too meet the less lucky is undemocratic and unfair to those who would benefit -- especially given that the issues described are not intrinsic realities of our transit system, but rather largely symptoms of gross political mismanagement and, well, our society. 

The stupidity in this statement, "the likes of Sean Hannity and Anthony Scaramucci". Travel anywhere outside of NYC and you'll see the same type of people. You're describing 60% of Americans right there my friend. Keep politics out of it. Everyone in New York is a douchebag, not just people from Long Island. Don't start talking like you're "superior"

13 minutes ago, jamesman8 said:

The stupidity in this statement, "the likes of Sean Hannity and Anthony Scaramucci". Travel anywhere outside of NYC and you'll see the same type of people. You're describing 60% of Americans right there my friend. Keep politics out of it. Everyone in New York is a douchebag, not just people from Long Island. Don't start talking like you're "superior"

Projecting your insecurities much? He never made any suggestion that he was "superior"

16 hours ago, RR503 said:

Exactly! Good transit is the biggest factor in upward mobility. It makes it easier to go to school, it opens up more job opportunities, opens up housing, community, etc.

16 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Projecting your insecurities much? He never made any suggestion that he was "superior"

LMAO did I make it look like I was insecure? I'm not gonna sit by as a Long Islander and let someone step all over us, everyone is a douchebag in the state, not just us.

26 minutes ago, jamesman8 said:

LMAO did I make it look like I was insecure? I'm not gonna sit by as a Long Islander and let someone step all over us, everyone is a douchebag in the state, not just us.

Which, in fact, was the exact point I was trying to make... LI is no different.

22 hours ago, RR503 said:

I just find the notion that Long Islanders don't curse and are instead nice genteel white folk so rich. The white ethnics who form the City's Finest and Bravest, who gave us stuff like "I'm walkin here", Jersey Shore, etc. all live in the suburbs these days.

• 3 weeks later...

In case anybody in these forums were wondering, the test schedules for the LIRR M9's are as follows:

The M9's leave Hillside Support Facility at 10:00pm and depart to Jamaica

The M9's arrive at Jamcia (Track 5) at 10:02pm and remain stationary until a clear track on the main line (Woodside - Jamaica) is available

The train will then stop at Signal Bridge 30 and will uncouple 2 pairs of EMUs

Single pair test trains will commence from Woodside to Kew Gardens

Keep in mind this schedule is prone to change due to anything from derailments, faulty signals, weather, or late trains.