M-9 Discussion

East New York

21 hours ago, OverlyObsessed said:

In case anybody in these forums were wondering, the test schedules for the LIRR M9's are as follows:

The M9's leave Hillside Support Facility at 10:00pm and depart to Jamaica

The M9's arrive at Jamcia (Track 5) at 10:02pm and remain stationary until a clear track on the main line (Woodside - Jamaica) is available

The train will then stop at Signal Bridge 30 and will uncouple 2 pairs of EMUs

Single pair test trains will commence from Woodside to Kew Gardens

Keep in mind this schedule is prone to change due to anything from derailments, faulty signals, weather, or late trains.

What time is the train at Kew Gardens?

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, OverlyObsessed said:

Does anybody where the M9 Bumblebees are? Last time I heard of them they were still in Yonkers about a month ago.

9001-9008 are still undergoing repairs, and some of them have already gotten the new scheme.  The derailment caused more damage than initially thought.  The first three production cars from Nebraska (9015-9016, and 9017) are up there as well.

On 8/4/2018 at 10:06 PM, jamesman8 said:

Nice to see that the M9's can operate in union with the M7 sets, I doubt that will EVER happen in revenue service, but its good to know that they're capable of operating together.

I think that's only for towing purposes (the R160s could tow a R179 in theory).

Edited by Bosco

On 8/18/2018 at 9:06 PM, Bosco said:

9001-9008 are still undergoing repairs, and some of them have already gotten the new scheme.  The derailment caused more damage than initially thought.  The first three production cars from Nebraska (9015-9016, and 9017) are up there as well.

I think that's only for towing purposes (the R160s could tow a R179 in theory).

You can clearly hear both propulsions are powered in the married pair, so it's not being towed...

On 8/26/2018 at 11:53 PM, trainfan22 said:

Found a on board video of the M9s, the automated announcements are done by a different person:

https://streamable.com/cbw58

I don't like this. The new announcer has a really weird inflection. The old guy was kind of a Long Island icon too, randomly loud station names and all.

5 hours ago, m7zanr160s said:

Can the M7s be programmed to display what car in the consist you're in?

For right now, no.  That is exclusive to the M9s.

5 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

I don't like this. The new announcer has a really weird inflection. The old guy was kind of a Long Island icon too, randomly loud station names and all.

It's weird, but at least it's clearer.  It will take some getting used to.  I'm also not a fan of the truck-in-reverse like door closing warning.

Edited by Bosco

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/19/2018 at 4:41 PM, Union Tpke said:

LIRR M-9 and LIRR/MNR M-9A Railcar Procurements Briefing to CPOC

*Not quoting the photos to save space*

This is good news and finally some progress with the M9/A.  It looks as though the M9A is going ahead, with renderings and all.  I'm just worried if Kawasaki gets it, since they will be working on this and the R211 at the same time.  I'm hoping they don't bite off more than they can chew.

Edited by Bosco

27 minutes ago, Bosco said:

This is good news and finally some progress with the M9/A.  It looks as though the M9A is going ahead, with renderings and all.  I'm just worried if Kawasaki gets it, since they will be working on this and the R211 at the same time.  I'm hoping they don't bite off more than they can chew.

They worked on the R142A and R143 at the same time and it worked out. 

55 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

They worked on the R142A and R143 at the same time and it worked out. 

The R211 has a pretty crazy delivery schedule though... I'm curious if anyone on here knows how many cars per month were delivered for both of those contracts?  In addition, while this may have nothing to do with it, the American content on those contracts was more lax, so more components were made in Japan.  With the R160 and R188, 100% of the production cars had to be built in the US.

• 1 month later...