M-9 Discussion

East New York

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Belmont Park EIS says something weird:

It is anticipated that the LIRR would provide two round trip trains each consisting of eight M3 Electric Multiple-Unit (EMU) rail cars for mid- to large-size arena events (e.g., events with 10,000 or more attendees), which could accommodate the projected number of passengers for arena events.

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/11_Belmont-DEIS-Transportation.pdf Page 11-83

Would they keep some M3s for this specific purpose?

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 4:37 PM, trainfan22 said:

There's a whole bunch of M9s outside of the Kawasaki plant in Yonkers with no trucks on them. IDK if these same units that orgainally had the yellow face and to be repaired due to derail while being delivered.

Most of those appear to be production cars from the Lincoln plant.  When I went up there two weeks ago, the highest number I saw was 9024.  The only pilot I saw outside the shop was 9008.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:37 PM, trainfan22 said:

There's also some PA5 (Old ones) there.

That's part of the PA5 overhaul.

7 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Most of those appear to be production cars from the Lincoln plant.  When I went up there two weeks ago, the highest number I saw was 9024.  The only pilot I saw outside the shop was 9008.

That's part of the PA5 overhaul.

Nice, I guess that means were aren't too far off from seeing M9s in revenue service..

Speaking of M9s, I read on another forum that one of the M9 option orders will be motorless coaches for the DIESEL fleet.. pretty interesting development. Basically M9s without traction motors being pulled by DE/DMs..

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Nice, I guess that means were aren't too far off from seeing M9s in revenue service..

Speaking of M9s, I read on another forum that one of the M9 option orders will be motorless coaches for the DIESEL fleet.. pretty interesting development. Basically M9s without traction motors being pulled by DE/DMs..

Sounds like an unfounded rumor. There are a LOT of false rumors going around about the M9 order. Believe nothing unless it is officially announced by the MTA.

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

You mean the M9A's... here's the post in question which cites none other than the LIRR President himself: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=158963&start=450#p1497458

In addition to the current Kawasaki orders for the M9, President Eng stated that he has directed staff to modify the M9A procurement to make the delivery schedule part of the best value process. Those proposers that can get us the cars the quickest and still deliver quality will be scored higher. He has also added diesel coaches to this procurement, as we know they are much needed on our branches that we have not yet been able to electrify. Our goal here is to provide the capacity to our customers on a regular basis so that we are not experiencing crowded trains [...].

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Does anybody know if these things been in Penn Station yet? I only ask cause Amtrak wouldn't allow NJT to run their ALP45's DM into Penn until it was proven reliable IIRC.

I think Penn is fine. The issue Amtrak had was dual mode locomotives in the tunnel under the Hudson IIRC

First production pair (9015-9016) was sent from Yonkers to Hillside last week.  9017-9018 (now the lowest pair at Yonkers) have been on the test track, and cars up to 9034 are at/outside Yonkers either undergoing or about to undergo final assembly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 9:00 PM, Around the Horn said:

You mean the M9A's... here's the post in question which cites none other than the LIRR President himself: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=158963&start=450#p1497458

That's interesting. Though I wish the LIRR and MNR would kick the DMU sector into existence by ordering some Stadlers or something.

The FLIRTs even come in a bi-mode version that IIRC can have the diesel ripped out if you decide electrification is the way to go.

Edited by bobtehpanda

• 4 weeks later...