M-9 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure the M8 arrangement was special -- all other locomotives/EMUs that I can think of were Puebloed. Silverliner Vs, M9s, M7s, ALP-45/46s... 

I already know you are incorrect because the M9's have never even been on American Soil, and the M7's did not need to be tested in Pueblo because Bombardier had their own test track. Reading what Wikipedia says does not mean it is correct.

I already know you are incorrect because the M9's have never even been on American Soil, and the M7's did not need to be tested in Pueblo because Bombardier had their own test track. Reading what Wikipedia says does not mean it is correct.

So what are the parameters for testing with the TTC (FRA)? Maybe for new tech? or simulations? M8 would have to have some type of standard to run on the NEC right? Maybe they didn't test because the standard , spec or code is already set they'd just be required to make sure that standard was reached .  But they do test more than just intercity trains here's some LRT cars testing out there recently. The question here is what warrants testing? The M9 has PTC maybe that qualifies them for testing (Shrugs) kinda why I asked.

yJwFGOi.jpg

Edited by RailRunRob

I know . I know!! I have a lot of time on my hands this evening I should be working :P:D    . Seems the M9's are slated to test out west Per the MTA. 

Cvih9mm.png

So that sums it up then, this is the first official source I've seen.

However the M8's were not tested in Pueblo so I assume there was some reason for that.

So that sums it up then, this is the first official source I've seen.

However the M8's were not tested in Pueblo so I assume there was some reason for that.

Yeah I’m not entirely sure what the criteria is for testing. I’d put my money A new system or tech like PTC needing to be tested. After all the M9’s are the 1st have it installed for the LIRR everything else will need to be retrofitted. So makes sense to test and certify with them? Shrugs The M8s didn’t really have anything new FTA or jurisdiction wise at least.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by RailRunRob

Are you sure about the M7s? I have it from multiple v reliable sources that BBD shipped cars from quebec/plattsburgh to pueblo for testing... 

(I'm not dumb enough to read wiki as if it's fact don't worry)

Edited by RR503

Are you sure about the M7s? I have it from multiple v reliable sources that BBD shipped cars from quebec/plattsburgh to pueblo for testing... 

(I'm not dumb enough to read wiki as if it's fact don't worry)

Yep, I believe you're correct seem's there were in Pueblo 2001-2002 for test's and testing.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2007-08-01/html/07-3736.htm

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2010-01-08/html/E9-31411.htm

Edited by RailRunRob

Yep, I believe you're correct seem's there were in Pueblo 2001-2002 for test's and testing.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2007-08-01/html/07-3736.htm

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2010-01-08/html/E9-31411.htm

The M8's have a similar frame to the M7's, so that must have been the reason for no test out west. The M9's have a new frame however which is what was delaying them in the first place.

The M8's have a similar frame to the M7's, so that must have been the reason for no test out west. The M9's have a new frame however which is what was delaying them in the first place.

It's interesting if any car would need to be tested the M8 would come to my mind. If you think about Kawasaki is really known for making EMU's in the US market. The M8 is the 1st  mostly Metro and Coaches for North America. The M8's have computers backing up computers plus 3 power sources ATC,ACSES ect! The M2,4 and 6's ran 12.5KV 25/60hz different frequency's but I don't believe the switchover was on the fly. With that said im shocked they didn't undergo sometype of FRA testing EMI or something. 

I am very confused about this entire thing, does anyone actually know when the first cars will arrive in Long island?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometime later this year -- see the slide quoted above.

Also: excellent finding RRB!

Edited by RR503

I remember specifically the M8's built in Japan were NOT tested in Pueblo, I was watching a ship documentary and The M8's were being loaded on from Hyogo. The ships arrival point was in New York, and I know those units had immediately been testing on MTA property, however the FRA had inspectors onboard during the testing periods, so a likely scenario is probable, where they will test on Long Island and have FRA inspectors on board.

I believe testing in Pueblo is only neccesarry for inter-city long distance units such as the Charger and ACS-64.

Do you have a video link by any chance? I'm interested in watching that.

Here's a video of the M9 cars running back and forth. Sounds like they have the same traction motors as the M8s.

(not my video)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Considering i'm a musician and can't hear the motors at all, I wouldn't assume anything.

I would also like to add that Mitsubishi is doing PART of the propulsion, however I guess it's not the same as the M7.

They're doing the propulsion controllers and electrical equipment.

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/news/2014/1204-b.pdf

Edited by jamesman8

Considering i'm a musician and can't hear the motors at all, I wouldn't assume anything.

I would also like to add that Mitsubishi is doing PART of the propulsion, however I guess it's not the same as the M7.

They're doing the propulsion controllers and electrical equipment.

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/news/2014/1204-b.pdf

Perhaps not EXACTLY like the M8. The propulsion on the M7s is much more audible compared to the M8s and this.

Perhaps not EXACTLY like the M8. The propulsion on the M7s is much more audible compared to the M8s and this.

Yes however it appears this is a closed off area, and the camera is definitely more than 400 feet away. He is wildly zoomed in so lets not doubt anything.