M-9 Discussion

East New York

13 minutes ago, Truckie said:

You are taking my quote out of context. 

You were talking about Metro North, as was I.  Now you are applying what I say about LIRR. 

I have no idea what LIRR needs or plans are so there is no basis for me to comment on them.

All press releases about the M9 allude to a MNR option order. Yes, this is not firm, and yes, MNR (correct me if I’m wrong) seems to be focusing more on diesel fleet issues, but the MNR M3As are not getting younger. Nothing about the M3s that MNR has makes them more resilient, so unless something has changed, I think they will be replaced with this order. 

http://www.mta.info/news/2013/09/19/new-railcars-lirr-metro-north-fleets

Edited by RR503

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, RR503 said:

.......MNR (correct me if I’m wrong) seems to be focusing more on diesel fleet issues, but the MNR M3As are not getting younger. 

Correct, the diesel fleet is a priority.  There are locomotives sitting collecting dust because of lack of parts.  At least the electrics run.  The M3's are going to be getting cameras.  Originally there were talks of not putting cameras in them because they won't be around that much longer.  

6 hours ago, RR503 said:

All press releases about the M9 allude to a MNR option order. Yes, this is not firm, and yes, MNR (correct me if I’m wrong) seems to be focusing more on diesel fleet issues, but the MNR M3As are not getting younger. Nothing about the M3s that MNR has makes them more resilient, so unless something has changed, I think they will be replaced with this order. 

http://www.mta.info/news/2013/09/19/new-railcars-lirr-metro-north-fleets

That's from 2013, so the info may be a little out of date. 

4 hours ago, RR503 said:

It outlines the parameters of the order. 

Here's the latest update on the MNR half I could find:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140801140126/http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/140728_1200_CPOC.pdf

This is over 3 years old and per that report MNR was to execute the option in December of 2016.  Needless to say that did not happen.

On 11/8/2017 at 8:51 PM, RR503 said:

The difference is more like 2 million, which, broken down over the course of a year, is negligable.

I can all but guarantee you MNR will get M9s -- they too have M3s to replace. 

The difference is not "2 million". This sourced document says otherwise

JTAfdjp.png

http://www.apta.com/resources/statistics/Documents/Ridership/2016-q4-ridership-APTA.pdf

3 hours ago, jamesman8 said:

So in other words it would now appear MNRR is not getting M9's? I have a feeling the reason they decided not to go for an MNRR order is because Cuomo wanted them "cuomoed", and I doubt Connecticut would want that on trains running in their state.

The M9s won't run in CT, the Hudson and Harlem lines stay in NY State. If MN got M9s they would be 3rd rail only so they wouldn't be able to run in CT anyway.

44 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The M9s won't run in CT, the Hudson and Harlem lines stay in NY State. If MN got M9s they would be 3rd rail only so they wouldn't be able to run in CT anyway.

Exactly, and the M8s aren't just different mechanically.  CDOT also provided some of the funding for the cars as well.

• 3 weeks later...

LIRR seeks M9A EMUs

MTA Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) has issued an RFP (Request For Proposals) to prequalify firms for a minimum of 60 and up to 160 M9A married-pair (A Car – B Car) EMU (electric multiple-unit) railcars, structured as a base order with options.

These cars are tied to the FFGA (full funding grant agreement) between the LIRR and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) for the East Side Access (ESA) project, and as such fall under a separate procurement from the contract the New York MTA awarded to Kawasaki Rail Car in 2013 for LIRR and MTA Metro-North Railroad M9 cars.

Proposals for this Phase I/Prequalification RFP process are due by Jan. 10, 2018. The M9As are intended to supplement LIRR’s EMU fleet for ESA service.

Procurement of M9 cars dates back to 2012. In mid-2012, the LIRR issued a joint procurement request for itself and Metro-North for up to 676 M9 cars. In September 2013, Kawasaki Rail Car, the builder of Metro-North’s M8 railcars, was awarded a nearly $1.8 billion contract for a base order of 92 M9 cars for the LIRR, with options for 584 cars—304 to LIRR and 280 to Metro-North. The NYMTA’s 2010-2014 Capital Plan provided funding for the base order. The M9A procurement for equipment intended to provide ESA service was deferred due to delays in the opening date for ESA.

The LIRR portion of the M9 order is currently structured as follows: 92 base order cars and 110 Option 1 cars. Six pilot cars have been delivered to TTCI in Pueblo, Colo., for testing, with an additional 2 cars to be delivered to Pueblo early next year. Pilot car testing at LIRR will commence in April 2018. Production cars are scheduled to be delivered starting in July 2018 at the rate of 12 cars/month.

“We expect pilot car testing in Pueblo to continue through April, pilot car testing at LIRR to take place from April through June 2018, and acceptance of the 92 base order cars and 110 Option 1 cars to take place from July 2018 through November 2019,” NYMTA Deputy Communications Director Aaron Donovan told Railway Age. 

The M9 cars will feature many new safety, security and customer amenity items. The cars will have closed loop seat armrests, slightly wider seats, electrical outlets on both sides of a car in each row of seats, four 32-inch multimedia screens in each car, four to six additional seats per married pair, as well as a powered B-end door. The flip seats will have suspension systems so they don’t slam. To enable passengers to know which car they are occupying in the train consist, there will be a display indicating the position of each car in a 10-car trainset (for example, “Car 8 of 10”). At the front of the trainset, there will be exterior destination signs that are visible as the train approaches a station. The cars will have CCTV cameras. In addition to the safety, security and customer amenities listed above, the M9A cars will have USB ports installed in each A/C electrical outlet, as well as powered bathroom doors, and scratch resistant side windows that do not haze, fade or crystallize.

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/passenger/rapid-transit/lirr-seeks-m9a-emus.html

On 1/30/2011 at 10:43 PM, Joel Up Front said:

Metro-North already has the M3As and all the ugly CDOT cars. The LIRR has been running the last of the M3s for years, and ran the M1s to the ground until they were all gone and the M7s took their place. The last time I was one, the conductor had to open and close the doors twice each station.

LIRR still has about 4 M1's left and around 146 M3's left but that's only because the first few M9 railcars hasn't been delivered to LIRR yet so they kept some of there older railcars.But the M1 and M3 will be forever missed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Was lurking Railroad.net and apparently the Pliot train has made it to the U.S, and is currently testing in Pueblo Colorado, surprised no railfans got any pics or vids of the cars being transported from the West Coast to Pueblo. 

Well, Colorado isn't as dense as NY so no doubt there aren't as many railfans there. For the railfans who are there, I doubt they care about a train made for NYC. They care more about locos and old push-pull carriages.