Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

M-9 Discussion

12 hours ago, ibroketheprinter said:

Do we have any updates on the M9s expected service date? LIRR's twitter said May but from what I understand, testing is still going on.

According to this Newsday article, they are expected be in service by the end of this month:

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/transportation/lirr-new-trains-m9-electric-1.30750025

• Thanks 2

Saw a clip of them testing on the Babylon Branch tonight...

They've removed the weights that were on the seats to simulate passengers and the protective coverings so revenue service must be sometime soon.

• Upvote 1

I found myself near the Kawasaki plant in Yonkers today, and I saw quite a few M9s sitting around! yB2B63d.jpgu0JZWc2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2019 at 7:23 PM, Bosco said:

First production pair (9015-9016) was sent from Yonkers to Hillside last week.  9017-9018 (now the lowest pair at Yonkers) have been on the test track, and cars up to 9034 are at/outside Yonkers either undergoing or about to undergo final assembly.

I was actually mistaken, 9007-9008 is still at Yonkers frequently on the test track.  9017-9018 was delivered within the past two weeks, and 9019-9020 has also been on the test track.  Generally, that test track (called the Function Test track) is the last step before the cars get sent out.  I've seen up to 9038 (except 9035) at Yonkers at different stages, either inside the factory or out.

Once the PA5 option order and R211 progress, it'll be a hell of a time to be fanning Yonkers station!

Edited by Bosco
  • Upvote 2

On 5/20/2019 at 9:44 PM, Fan Railer said:

Entry into service has been delayed due to ongoing software issues.

Is the software the only thing holding them back?