M-9 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wider carbodies accounts for the increased seat width.

They've been on the Far Rock Branch since Thursday now.

Weekday service only for now, rotation changes daily. Unless you know the assignment, you have to hope you're in the right place at the right time.

Metro-North isn't getting M9As for at least several years.

10 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

Wider carbodies accounts for the increased seat width.

They've been on the Far Rock Branch since Thursday now.

Weekday service only for now, rotation changes daily. Unless you know the assignment, you have to hope you're in the right place at the right time.

Metro-North isn't getting M9As for at least several years.

Ok! Are they on any other branches? And what station on the FR Branch is the best to railfan at.

• 3 months later...

This article came out in Newsday a few days ago. Some riders feel that the interior LED lighting on the M9s is Too Bright. It could be because the kind of LEDs used contain too much artificial Blue Light & is off-putting to some commuters. I haven’t had the opportunity to ride on the newer trains however, I can say that I find the lighting on MNRR’s M8s sufficient & easy on the eyes. What do you folks think ?

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/transportation/lirr-m9-trains-bright-lights-complaints-1.40680488

10 hours ago, StBrian said:

This article came out in Newsday a few days ago. Some riders feel that the interior LED lighting on the M9s is Too Bright. It could be because the kind of LEDs used contain too much artificial Blue Light & is off-putting to some commuters. I haven’t had the opportunity to ride on the newer trains however, I can say that I find the lighting on MNRR’s M8s sufficient & easy on the eyes. What do you folks think ?

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/transportation/lirr-m9-trains-bright-lights-complaints-1.40680488

This reminds me of how the city was replacing the old High Pressure Sodium (HPS) street lights with the new LEDs, a couple years ago. Many people complained about it, saying it was “too bright.” I wasn’t a big fan of the change, but things have to change. Same thing when it comes to the new M9s. People are going to learn how to cope with it.

3 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

This reminds me of how the city was replacing the old High Pressure Sodium (HPS) street lights with the new LEDs, a couple years ago. Many people complained about it, saying it was “too bright.” I wasn’t a big fan of the change, but things have to change. Same thing when it comes to the new M9s. People are going to learn how to cope with it.

It gives the trains the brand new, modern, 'space ship' feel. I personally think it's a bit too bright because it washes out your night vision if you have to walk around the inside of the car then put your head out to observe the platform at night. Or someone opens the door to the cab, the glare is just that little bit brighter. But it isn't the end of the world. Probably makes it harder to sleep as well.

On 1/22/2020 at 3:12 AM, StBrian said:

I hate bright lights on those trains. The M7s are bright enough. Those lights need a dim mode. Or they need to alternate the lights ON/OFF (similar to how it looks when the power goes out and the backup lights are on). It's extremely bright late at night and early in the morning where commuters are trying to sleep. 

The announcements are loud too. Its a commuter train not the subway. Save that loud and bright nonsense for the subway, this should have a more relaxed feeling, especially during the morning rush hour. 

• 3 weeks later...

Idk how yall catch those M9s. I have yet to catch one. Would've been nice if you can search by car type on the app lol. Eventually when they decide to put them on trains that arrive in Penn Station between 7-8am, I'll be able to finally catch it. Shiett they probably wont even be "new" anymore. 

Any updates on how many has arrived? Also, how many trains they have running? I always see 3 pairs lying around separately in Hillside when I pass it. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

• 4 months later...

Hello all, seems that this thread had been inactive for now, new to transit forums, name is Jake, M9s are running once again since the return of weekday service, new cars that have entered service include 9047-9048, 9053-9054 9055-9056 9057-9058 and 9063-9064, as of now, two 12 car sets running and two 6 cars, 9009-9010 have also finally entered service, 9013-9014 is still on testing with 9011-9012. 9041-9042 came down the lower Montauk a few days ago for delivery, it's all mixed, 9043 up to 9052 (excluding 9047-9048) should be next as the rest of the 9050s, 9060s and 9070s are delivered and testing, 9080s should shortly follow. 

9 minutes ago, NycTransitFan107 said:

Your just halcunating things bro. M9s are just EMUs

Well, the Nippon Sharyo DMUs are built to be easily converted to EMU service, but idk about the M9s. TBH, all LIRR and MNRR trains should be DEMUs, preferably the STADLER FLIRT.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my first ride just now on the M9 on the 8:23pm Train from Babylon to Penn Station. This was literally the best LIRR experience I've had. The train is QUIET af, and it runs so smooth, and it just feels so refreshing. I feel like the announcements drag, and it can get a bit annoying, although I like the announcements about the short stations, and other announcements like keeping your bags off seats, see suspicious packages, etc. It would be nice if they can add connection announcements, and maybe places of interests.  I didn't even check out the bathroom, but as for the train overall, omg it might look similar to an M7 but it literally makes the M7s look like junk. I transferred to an M7 to Atlantic Terminal and I was disgusted, and of course I get a car where the rattling and squeaking is extra loud, and guess what...flat wheels as well. 

Can they just retire the entire M7 fleet and just streamline the fleet with M9s?😭 

I even told the conductor these trains are beautiful, and they're very quiet. He said yeahh they're awesome but give them a few months and they'll run like the older ones. I seriously hope LIRR maintenance doesn't f**k these up.

13 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Had my first ride just now on the M9 on the 8:23pm Train from Babylon to Penn Station. This was literally the best LIRR experience I've had. The train is QUIET af, and it runs so smooth, and it just feels so refreshing. I feel like the announcements drag, and it can get a bit annoying, although I like the announcements about the short stations, and other announcements like keeping your bags off seats, see suspicious packages, etc. It would be nice if they can add connection announcements, and maybe places of interests.  I didn't even check out the bathroom, but as for the train overall, omg it might look similar to an M7 but it literally makes the M7s look like junk. I transferred to an M7 to Atlantic Terminal and I was disgusted, and of course I get a car where the rattling and squeaking is extra loud, and guess what...flat wheels as well. 

Can they just retire the entire M7 fleet and just streamline the fleet with M9s?😭 

I even told the conductor these trains are beautiful, and they're very quiet. He said yeahh they're awesome but give them a few months and they'll run like the older ones. I seriously hope LIRR maintenance doesn't f**k these up.

Knowing Kawasaki quality in NY....the ride quality won't last. It'll be bucking, squeaking and swaying around in 2-3 years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, Jova42R said:

Well, the Nippon Sharyo DMUs are built to be easily converted to EMU service, but idk about the M9s. TBH, all LIRR and MNRR trains should be DEMUs, preferably the STADLER FLIRT.

Why? Electric propulsion is greener and cheaper.

(DEMUs are not dual-mode.)