M-9 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People who think the middle seat of three seaters is left empty are people who do not ride peak trains. The middle seat is needed, and well used. 

I rode off peak, but the point is they don't sit there unless they are forced to. At least keep the dimensions of the seat close to the M1/3 seats and make the 5th seat smaller.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I rode off peak, but the point is they don't sit there unless they are forced to. At least keep the dimensions of the seat close to the M1/3 seats and make the 5th seat smaller.

I ride peak and off peak and people do not like sitting next to each other, me included.  We would rather stand.  Usually people that are sitting next to each other know each other (i.e. a family with kids sitting together)

I ride peak and off peak and people do not like sitting next to each other, me included.  We would rather stand.  Usually people that are sitting next to each other know each other (i.e. a family with kids sitting together)

But then there are those of us who's commute exceeds the half hour trip to Riverdale. I'll sit in the facing seat or the middle seat (hell, even that one little seat between the bathroom and the vestibule on the C3's) before I stand 3 hours to Montauk.

But then there are those of us who's commute exceeds the half hour trip to Riverdale. I'll sit in the facing seat or the middle seat (hell, even that one little seat between the bathroom and the vestibule on the C3's) before I stand 3 hours to Montauk.

Yeah but in that you'd probably get a seat anyway.  MNRR trains tend to fill up (to the point of there not being any good seats) up in Westchester.  If they keep raising the prices though, there may be some more open seats.  The folks from the poor parts of Yonkers won't be able to afford to ride, so that will free up some seats for us working professionals.  I'm just counting down the time until the next fare hikes in 2015 & 2017.  :D

@VG8: True about the Montauk trains but what about Babylon locals (which use M7's)? Especially in rush hour there are tons of people using that branch all the way from Babylon to Penn and back. That's tough if you have to stand for so long (some people do because they can't find an empty seat, the middle one included).

Edited by Vistausss

Yeah but in that you'd probably get a seat anyway. MNRR trains tend to fill up (to the point of there not being any good seats) up in Westchester. If they keep raising the prices though, there may be some more open seats. The folks from the poor parts of Yonkers won't be able to afford to ride, so that will free up some seats for us working professionals. I'm just counting down the time until the next fare hikes in 2015 & 2017. :D

And the elitist person of the year award goes to...

Yeah but in that you'd probably get a seat anyway.  MNRR trains tend to fill up (to the point of there not being any good seats) up in Westchester.  If they keep raising the prices though, there may be some more open seats.  The folks from the poor parts of Yonkers won't be able to afford to ride, so that will free up some seats for us working professionals.  I'm just counting down the time until the next fare hikes in 2015 & 2017.  :D

2703 gets mighty crowded as it moves west.  I'm sure to get a seat at Montauk, but as you move west, not so much.  And on the Friday evening trains, forget it.  If you misplace yourself on the platform at Jamaica you're screwed.  I stood all the way to Southampton once.  It was not fun.

2703 gets mighty crowded as it moves west.  I'm sure to get a seat at Montauk, but as you move west, not so much.  And on the Friday evening trains, forget it.  If you misplace yourself on the platform at Jamaica you're screwed.  I stood all the way to Southampton once.  It was not fun.

lol... LIRR trains are a mess anyway.  Luckily for me when I've gone out there I've always gotten a seat.  I'm using out there to meet clients or attend networking dinners.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Looks like we got some more confusion on this...I was under the impression the cars were going to be assembled in Lincoln, NE like the M8's, as Kawasaki's plant in Yonkers currently has their hands full with the R188 subway cars...

Looks like we got some more confusion on this...I was under the impression the cars were going to be assembled in Lincoln, NE like the M8's, as Kawasaki's plant in Yonkers currently has their hands full with the R188 subway cars...

More than likely the carbodies will be made in Lincoln. Yonkers site is used for final assembly and testing

I would be suprised if any manufacturing or assembly happens in Yonkers. Case in point are the M8's. They were delivered here completed by rail. Why put the bodies on flat cars to deliver them to Yonkers just to put the trucks on (and other final assembly items)?

That is my thinking too.  The Yonkers plant is busy and will be busy for quite some time with subway cars, so I think the whole car being assembled coupler-coupler in Lincoln is not far fetched at all.

That is true. I've seen video's by jkrspec on YouTube of Montauk trains at Sayville and Speonk and some of 'em are bunched on weekdays. Especially students heading out to Sayville.

God help you if you were to sit in a M7 3 seater or the 2 seater for 2-3hrs. I don't mind 2 seaters if the seat isn't cramped, but I'd be miserable for sitting there for that long sitting with some stranger. The middle seat mainly serves to give the 2 outer seats more breathing room, but otherwise they would've been better off with the same 2x2 seats that the C3 has. I wished I took a measuring tape with me to see the width difference, but it feels like a world of difference. The M7s are narrower than the M1/3 (thus all those platform gap issues), so it stands to reason they slimmed down the seats to fit the new dimensions. They should've kept the same dimensions of at least the 2 seaters as on the M1/3.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I would be suprised if any manufacturing or assembly happens in Yonkers. Case in point are the M8's. They were delivered here completed by rail. Why put the bodies on flat cars to deliver them to Yonkers just to put the trucks on (and other final assembly items)?

Where are they making them then? They don't have to be made in Yonkers per se, but they should be made in NY State by American labor seeing that American taxpayer dollars are paying for these cars.  I used to see them testing the subway cars up by Plattsburgh by the old air base when I was going to college up by Montréal.  They had a train track there and they'd have the cars there on the track.  Was pretty neat to see.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Where are they making them then?

The first 38 cars were made in Kobe, Japan and the remaining have been and will be made at the Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing Corp., USA plant in Lincoln, Nebraska.

My question is why should the M8's be made in New York State when NYS and CT both own them for use in CT?

Edited by Truckie

I do wonder if the transportation costs would be cheaper having them made in Yonkers...

Probably, but we aren't the only customer. Being Yonkers has their hands full with NYCT and PATH it probably wasn't possible to start production of the M8's there. As I'm sure the contract cost was with delivery it's certainly not Metro North's problem as the the cost of delivery.

I don't think the cars are formally "delivered" until they arrive in New Haven and gone over by Kawasaki's tech's. At that point they are tested on our rails with their tech's and one of our test train crews. Kawasaki even pays the cost of our crew as the cars have yet to be formally delivered.

• 2 months later...

Back in September I sent an e-mail to the MTA about the differences in the M9 vs. M9A order. I finally got an official response earlier this evening:

Dear Dr. O'Hara:

Your recent e-mails (130917-000400 and 131123-000065) inquiring about the M9/M9A procurement process were received via the MTA Customer E-Mail System.

The M9A car that you refer to in the RFEI is a separate Federal Procurement for LIRR cars required to support East Side Access.

LIRR and MNR will both be receiving M9 Cars, but only the LIRR will be receiving M9A Cars.

I hope this information is helpful. We appreciate your interest in the LIRR.

Sincerely,
S. McGowan

So as it looks now, there will be one version of the M9 car for both Metro-North and the LIRR and then there will be a separate M9A procurement that will go slightly differently just for the LIRR later on down the line.