Thank You & Good Overnight

JerzeeyMike

Hey ya’ll,

First off, just want to say how much I like the website! There is actually too much information here for me to even grasp all at once. I'm 20 and not entirely sure if I want to pursue a career in transit. My day job is as a retail manager with Office Depot Corporation. I have only been doing this for 3 years now, and I am already loosing my freggin mind. It will not go on much longer. :eek: Trust me. I know you usually have to be 21 to work transit (Bus Ops at least) so I just have to hold out a little longer. I'm also a volunteer firefighter and Ambulance Driver. I love firefighting but I'm not sure if I want to pursue a professional career there either. Although the profession is growing quite rapdily, it is also becoming more and more competitive as time goes on.

Now when it comes to NJ Transit, if I do fully commit myself to a career in transit, should I go B/O or Rail Engineer/Conductor? Or even Light Rail? I love both the Locomotives and Buses, and can't decide. Looking for some insight in that regard.

Thanks ya’ll

-JM (NJT)

Go conductor, then when they hire internally for L/E (Locomotive Engineer), pursue it. You always could pursue the B/O thing too, while pursuing rail careers with NJT.

Agreed.

- Andy

I think I woulld choose the railroad if I were you, by my opinion after having been a tractor trailer driver (and owner operater) for 22 years. In the subway you never have to contend with traffic , Irate passengers and wheather wouldn't be as great of a problem as if you were on the road. By working on the railroad you'll have a better chance of promotion to other positions like terminal dispatcher , train master or what ever.

Archived