Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
NX Express

Not Again! Cuomo removes $100M in dedicated transit dollars

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCIjNH_CHxzioSZ_4bEqT9YZIVS8fVuezY7qiIj7FfnGeUshiv

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has, as feared, removed $100 million in dedicated funding from the MTA’s budget as part of his effort to close a state spending gap that reaches the billions. For the authority, this is the second year in a row that the state’s chief executive has striped money intended for downstate transit, and while the MTA says it will not raise fares this year, history is not on the agency’s side.

Basically, the net losses to the MTA will be $100 million overall but such a relatively slim cut was accomplished only through an accounting sleight-of-hand. Essentially, Cuomo is removing $200 million in dedicated operating funds and granted the MTA’s capital fund — with its $10 billion gap — a meager $100 million in economic development money. The loss to the operating side far outpaces the $143 million Gov. David Paterson removed from the budget in late 2009.

John Petro from the Drum Major Institute has some analysis. Despite the potential for another $194 million infusion in capital funding only, Petro warns of the looming spectre of future service cuts if operating dollars aren’t restored.

Read more: http://secondavenuesagas.com/2011/02/01/cuomo-removes-100m-in-dedicated-transit-dollars/

My comment: They should have all the Albany legislators use the NY subway for a month. See what they think after that:tdown::mad:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCIjNH_CHxzioSZ_4bEqT9YZIVS8fVuezY7qiIj7FfnGeUshiv

Read more: http://secondavenuesagas.com/2011/02/01/cuomo-removes-100m-in-dedicated-transit-dollars/

My comment: They should have all the Albany legislators use the NY subway for a month. See what they think after that:tdown::mad:

Being fair you also have to worry about the rest of the state. Hello there still another appx. 2-3 Million people that don't live in Metro NYC/Long Island.

Maybe NYC should split from NY state but it will never happen.

I thought this guy was gonna help the (MTA). But more of these idiots are pulling money off. And then people at the end will blame the (MTA) for fare increases.

I hope he knows what hes doing!

(MTA) promises according to the entry (unless I misread) that they'll avoid any service cuts and fare hikes this year. Let's see if they can live up to that.

By the time these damn people are done with it, there will be no MTA

(MTA) promises according to the entry (unless I misread) that they'll avoid any service cuts and fare hikes this year. Let's see if they can live up to that.

*singing* Heard it all before....

I thought this guy was gonna help the (MTA). But more of these idiots are pulling money off. And then people at the end will blame the (MTA) for fare increases.

You really thought he'd help the MTA? :confused:

He's a politician beholden to the wealthy, what do you expect? Thought he'd be better, but zebras can't change their stripes. Everything is black and white...give to the rich and take away from everyone else.

Now that a terrorist attack is rumored to be targeting Wall Street expect no expense to be spared to protect the moneyed interests...

This nation is runned by the rich, and not the poor. This is what is screwing up our nation for the last 50 years. We need to limit the amount of money people can run campaigns by, and by their wealth, and status, but that will never happen, because the rich would be totally aware, and would shoot it down.

*singing* Heard it all before....

You really thought he'd help the MTA? :confused:

I thought the same exact thing. This should have been seen a mile away by railfans/transit advocates.

He's a politician beholden to the wealthy, what do you expect? Thought he'd be better, but zebras can't change their stripes. Everything is black and white...give to the rich and take away from everyone else.

Now that a terrorist attack is rumored to be targeting Wall Street expect no expense to be spared to protect the moneyed interests...

Again, did people really expect different from Cuomo? Did anyone look at his lack of initiatives during the campaign? He wasn't elected because he was the best there was, he was elected because the alternative was a psycho.

like i said before be careful who you vote for. remember his father was not transit friendly so why would he be.

Being fair you also have to worry about the rest of the state. Hello there still another appx. 2-3 Million people that don't live in Metro NYC/Long Island.

Maybe NYC should split from NY state but it will never happen.

if nyc split from ny state the state would go broke. but the city would do well since all the money generated would stay there. plus they can put a commuter tax on people living outside the city that work here.

if nyc split from ny state the state would go broke. but the city would do well since all the money generated would stay there. plus they can put a commuter tax on people living outside the city that work here.

WORD!

And just think what would have happened to transit funding if Caral had won. They would tell every New Yorker to get a flashlight and walk to work all while the fare would be going up.

Don't tell me you guys actually thought Cuomo was going to do the right thing and help New York. You guys that are upset probably voted for that change Obama promised as well. What you didn't understand was the change he promised was what you were going to have left in your wallet since the dollars would be gone.

Politicians like Cuomo and Obama are like a guy in a bar approaching a woman, telling her how beautiful she is and wanting to marry her. They go to her place that night and sleep together. She's happy this guys has said all the right things, and the future with him will be great. The next day she calls the guy, and he says he can't see her again because he neglected to tell her that he's married.

It sounds like you guys called Cuomo for a second date, and he just broke the news to you that he's married and only wanted to sleep with you, so he told you what you wanted to hear.

An honest politician is just a contradiction in terms. (Roger Taylor line from the song The Key. 1994 album "Happiness?")

Edited by Blatherskite

Don't tell me you guys actually thought Cuomo was going to do the right thing and help New York. You guys that are upset probably voted for that change Obama promised as well. What you didn't understand was the change he promised was what you were going to have left in your wallet since the dollars would be gone.

Politicians like Cuomo and Obama are like a guy in a bar approaching a woman, telling her how beautiful she is and wanting to marry her. They go to her place that night and sleep together. She's happy this guys has said all the right things, and the future with him will be great. The next day she calls the guy, and he says he can't see her again because he neglected to tell her that he's married.

It sounds like you guys called Cuomo for a second date, and he just broke the news to you that he's married and only wanted to sleep with you, so he told you what you wanted to hear.

An honest politician is just a contradiction in terms.

being fair the "GOP" is no better either. Unless America votes for '3rd parties' or out of the mainstream canadiates (No not someone like David Duke or Rev. AL)this same crap will never change.

And just think what would have happened to transit funding if Caral had won. They would tell every New Yorker to get a flashlight and walk to work all while the fare would be going up.

Yeah you would be paying for every minute of "tunnel time" while you were in the system and every NYer would be subject to a Flashlight tax on their income tax return. Which would actually not be used to buy flashlights at all, but plug the state's budget deficit.

Then the following year they would tell everyone to just bring their own flashlight, but still leave the tax on the books. While announcing raises for the state legislature of course.

being fair the "GOP" is no better either. Unless America votes for '3rd parties' or out of the mainstream canadiates (No not someone like David Duke or Rev. AL)this same crap will never change.

I never said the GOP was better. We need to eliminate primaries so the psychopathic extreme liberals and extreme conservatives stop putting in an extreme psycho from each side. Most normal people average out to moderates by being conservative in some issues and liberal on others. They need to have a September election where everyone can run, regardless of party or non party affiliation, and the top 2 vote getters square off on election day. That way you don't get, well, the mess we have now. You can't compromise with a liberal idiot, nor a conservative idiot. You need compromise for government, and the economy to work correctly.

I never said the GOP was better. We need to eliminate primaries so the psychopathic extreme liberals and extreme conservatives stop putting in an extreme psycho from each side. Most normal people average out to moderates by being conservative in some issues and liberal on others. They need to have a September election where everyone can run, regardless of party or non party affiliation, and the top 2 vote getters square off on election day. That way you don't get, well, the mess we have now. You can't compromise with a liberal idiot, nor a conservative idiot. You need compromise for government, and the economy to work correctly.

You already have it in mayoral elections in places like LA, Houston and I think Chicago.

If the top vote getter gets over 60% of the vote there no run-off. I do agree it's a good idea that should be explored.

However the zillionaries establishment party bosses from both major parties wll never agree to it. In some cases the party boses would rather lose an election than have '2' of their canadiates go to a battle in a general election.

Plus I think Mayor Bloomberg has proposed that as well. However liberal crackpots like Rev. Al and Norman Siegal brought out the race card claiming people of color would be left out of the process.

Still back to topic. The (MTA)is a cash cow and not sure how not to make it political influenced.

Yeah you would be paying for every minute of "tunnel time" while you were in the system and every NYer would be subject to a Flashlight tax on their income tax return. Which would actually not be used to buy flashlights at all, but plug the state's budget deficit.

Then the following year they would tell everyone to just bring their own flashlight, but still leave the tax on the books. While announcing raises for the state legislature of course.

Instead, why not price it based on both time and distance so you can screw EVERYONE over. A shoe tax perhaps? :P

Let's face it. All politicians are whores...and it doesn't matter which party they belong to. They want to get out of it what they can and the public be damned. Their support, influence, and loyalty (if you can call it "loyalty") goes to the highest bidder.

I believe (MTA) is getting 1 billion dollars in transit funding from the feds this summer. NJT similar, transit and transportation funding bill. I believe it's something like 13 billion total for the whole country.

- A