Ferries to Ply East River Far More Regularly Soon

NX Express

02ferryMap-articleInline.jpg

For all their dominance on Staten Island, ferries have long struggled to muscle their way into the city’s mass transit mainstream. Experiments in Queens and Brooklyn have been held back by infrequent service, outsize operating costs and low ridership.

But the city, unfazed by past failures, is now embarking on a more ambitious plan: a year-round ferry network that will provide all-day service in the East River, starting in June.

Under the plan, to be announced on Wednesday, ferries will travel along a seven-stop route that stretches from Long Island City, Queens, to the Fulton Ferry landing by the Brooklyn Bridge, and includes Manhattan terminals at Pier 11 in the financial district and East 34th Street. During peak hours, boats will arrive at each stop every 20 minutes and travel in both directions.

The service is an attempt by the Bloomberg administration and the City Council to create a robust and viable mass transit alternative for a growing waterfront population that has struggled with clogged subway lines and bus routes that have been truncated or eliminated altogether.

“If we want every part of Brooklyn, every part of Queens, to be as attractive to businesses and residents as Midtown Manhattan is,” said Christine C. Quinn, the City Council speaker, “we have to make it as easy as possible to get to and from in an orderly, affordable fashion. That is what ferries can do.”

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/nyregion/02ferry.html?

My comment: It's not going to work. The ferries are too expensive, infrequent, and have too many stops.

My comment: It's not going to work. The ferries are too expensive, infrequent, and have too many stops.

It won't work either: too expensive, too frequent to be sustainable, and most people aren't traveling to/from the waterfront.

How busy is the NY Waterway East River route right now with its 6 trips/day?

New York Waterway- Most riders they travel bet. Manhattan and New Jersey waterfronts along Hudson River.

Sightseeing Ferry- Not very popular.

Only on Weekends, when NYWY operates free ferry shuttle to Governors Island from Brooklyn Bridge Park at Pier 6, it's very popular.

NYWY does not have East River Route. That was NY Water Taxi.

New York Water Taxi- Mostly Hop On/Off was popular.

I don't know if anyone taken advantage of Rockaways ferry service during rush hour? Maybe not because only few trips in morning few trips in evening.

Ikea Ferry on Weekends were popular.

Governors Island Ferry- Mostly popular during summer weekend session

Staten Island Ferry: Getting more crowded during rush hour.

In most cases, the ferries are not an improvement over alternate public transportation except for comfort and a nice view. They usually take longer, are not as frequent, and leave you well short of your destination, often requiring a shuttle bus to complete your trip.

Where I believe the ferry can offer a real advantage is if it can take you on a direct trip between two points that would otherwise require a few transfers on other means. For example, if you wanted to go from the Brooklyn waterfront to the Jersey City waterfront.....

The only time ferry service is really necessary is if the only other way to go involves large detours, such as Staten Island, or eastern LI to CT. In other cases, usually rail or bus is faster and will garner more riders. The Hudson River ferries are a good example: I can get from Hoboken to Downtown for $1.75 via PATH. Why would I take a $6.50 ferry ride and then transfer to a (although free) shuttle bus? Ferry fares (for short distances) are ridiculous.

The only time ferry service is really necessary is if the only other way to go involves large detours, such as Staten Island, or eastern LI to CT. In other cases, usually rail or bus is faster and will garner more riders. The Hudson River ferries are a good example: I can get from Hoboken to Downtown for $1.75 via PATH. Why would I take a $6.50 ferry ride and then transfer to a (although free) shuttle bus? Ferry fares (for short distances) are ridiculous.

Remember NY Waterways doesnt get any funding but besides fares and ad space money. PATH does get funds from PANYNJ to cover what funds from ad space and fares dont cover. PANYNJ should increase PATH fares to cover more of the costs. If NY Waterways was getting funding fares wouldnt be any where as high as they are now.

In most cases, the ferries are not an improvement over alternate public transportation except for comfort and a nice view.

On occasion, I think that comfort and nice view are totally worth it - although I agree at the cost of being not the most practical method of transit. I just like being out on the water vs. a rolling sardine in a tube sometimes.

• 2 months later...

Meanwhile, NY Water Taxi is cutting East River service on Friday:

http://www.nywatertaxi.com/commuters/east-river-service-advisory/

They say NYWaterway will get the service soon, but no mention on NYWaterway website. I assume the service will come in June as above.

We are disappointed by the City's decision to not award the best fleet & crew in the New York Harbor to continue the East River Ferry Service. We congratulate our New Jersey colleagues BillyBey/NY Waterway on being selected by the NYC Economic Development Corporation. On April 30th, when our current agreement to operate this route expires we will cease running an East River commuter service. Fortunately, this service was a minor portion of our business, therefore the company is not adversely affected by this announcement.

Remember NY Waterways doesnt get any funding but besides fares and ad space money. PATH does get funds from PANYNJ to cover what funds from ad space and fares dont cover. PANYNJ should increase PATH fares to cover more of the costs. If NY Waterways was getting funding fares wouldnt be any where as high as they are now.

The city is spending $3 million to subsidize the fare so it wont be higher.

You have to see the Wall Street Piers to understand the following these boats provide. PATH is cheaper, but there's still a significant amount of people who would still prefer the ferry over the train. Also, the NY Water Taxi hop on/hop off service is pretty good in terms of passenger size. I think it'll work.

Archived